Alzheimers

Alzheimers

pixiedust
pixiedust

April 14th, 2006, 6:42 pm #1

we have a 50 year old in the place i work ,its very hard to feed her,
does any one know of a way to get her to eat she puts her teeth together any there is no way
to get food in, but the other day i put food on the spoon with ice cream on the front and
she did eat some this way after a long time.And we can;t get the bosses to just
make her a one on one feeder and it hard when you have 2 more to feed,because it take the whole hour with her but they dont try to feed her they should try then they would know what we have been
talking about.she will not open her mouth to drink all her take is what you wet her lips with.
any ideals that i can try?

April 14th, 2006, 10:05 pm #2

When you find a way, let me know. I work in a hospital. The 'dirty little secret' there is very often, when we get feeders, they really don't get fed. Same problem ---- you can't spend the amount of time with one patient that it takes to get them to eat, so you get a few spoonfuls, if any, in, then leave it at that. I've always encourage my family, and extended family, that if they know anyone in that type of condition and they want to visit with them, go during mealtime and try feeding them.

pixiedust
pixiedust

April 14th, 2006, 10:53 pm #3

her family comes close to mealtime but they leave before time to feed at lunch time
wonder why, so they can complain that she not eating.

April 15th, 2006, 4:50 am #4

does any one know of a way to get her to eat she puts her teeth together any there is no way
to get food in, but the other day i put food on the spoon with ice cream on the front and
make her a one on one feeder and it hard when you have 2 more to feed,because it take the whole hour with her but they dont try to feed her they should try then they would know what we have been
talking about.she will not open her mouth to drink all her take is what you wet her lips with.
Here are some ideas Have you tried a plastic spoon? we had one who didn't like the taste of our metal ones. Some times sugaring the food works. we also had one who would only drink, so we mixed her food with milk or what ever we had on the tray that was appropriate. some of the things that actually work cannot be used when state is in but... can she do finger food? get an extra slice of bread and make a sandwich. We had one that you filled her spoon and she could use it. that one took two spoons.

Ajaxkid
Ajaxkid

April 16th, 2006, 4:46 am #5

That's a stage they go through... they won't eat. It's a tricky stage too. You can't reason with them, so you try what you can... sometimes you can do nothing. If they'll drink, give them Ensure or let the icecream soften up so they can drink it. If they seem to be receptive only to sweets, get a spoonful of food and put a dab of applesauce or icecream on the very tip of the spoon. If they clench their teeth... well, good luck. Put the food in their hand and see if they'll do it themselves... this can have surprising results sometimes. I've worked with Alzheimer patients for 18 years and guess what? They usually start eating again after a period of not eating. Just make sure they get plenty of fluids and Ensure to ride them through this difficult stage. Force-feeding is cruel and not an option, so do the best you can.
For some bizzarre reason, alot of people seem to think the elderly need to eat 100% every meal. That's ludicrous and completely unrealistic.

pixiedust
pixiedust

April 16th, 2006, 9:29 am #6

thanks to everone who respond to my question on alzheimer ,your responds has made me feel better ,
i know i am doing all i can now and its not just me,THANKS

tanya
tanya

April 26th, 2006, 10:45 pm #7

Hi i am a cna and have a lot of experience. What i do when i have trouble feeding a resident. I mix everything in the drinks. I no it does not sound good. But it really works. You should try it. like mashed potatos mix in the milk. yes they usually like there desserts.