Advice From Experienced CNAs Please! :)

Advice From Experienced CNAs Please! :)

Michelle
Michelle

April 27th, 2006, 1:16 am #1

I know this question has been addressed here before, but since you never know what fresh answers could come from asking again, here goes -

I've been a CNA for a little over two months in an ALF, and I. Am. So. Slow.

The girl who worked here before me was quick quick quick, but also what you'd call SuperAide Extroadinaire. The boss was all smiles about her but the girl didn't do the job (no wiping before putting on a fresh depends EEEEK!!, no combing hair, no washing faces, no proper showers, etc). I insist on doing this and as a result, I'm always staying after or leaving stuff for the next shift, which I loathe.

I work the night shift (alone) and have lots of lots of cleaning to do. Sweeping and mopping, kitchen cleaning, bathrooms, laundry rooms, sweeping, wiping this and that, setting up for breakfast, on and on. Also 2 hr checks on dependent residents and woah momma do we have dependant residents, I have heard many an experienced aide say it's a glamorous nursing home here.

I have seen myself get more efficient, but I really don't know how else to hurry it up, I am constantly running around and never have time for a break, not even ten wee minutes to myself, and at the end of the day I feel worn out and good about what I've done but awful about whatever I haven't.

What corners are okay to cut? What corners aren't? According to the Admin, I have plenty of time to do what I need to, no other aides have complained about too little time, etc. Har har. According to the RN, it will get better. But. It's not! I feel like I've reached peak efficiency here and I'm struggling like crazy - and it surely doesn't help to have the day and evening shifts talking about how eeeeasy nights are.

The residents really like me, which makes me so happy. I really love what I'm doing, cattiness and infighting aside (though, to be fair, some aides and a couple nurses on other shifts have been exceptionally kind to me).

I would really appreciate some feedback here. Could I possibly be more of a home health type? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks for your time!

Carrie
Carrie

April 27th, 2006, 11:08 pm #2

It's been my experience with "slow" or new aides they either talk too much or do every little thing by the book. I'm not saying you're that way.

I worked with one girl who would stop getting someone up and turn to watch tv or stop
and talk. I'm not saying stop talking to residents, but you can talk and work at the same time.

Do you have everything you need set up before you begin cares? I always make sure I have everything I need before I start. If your resident is able, they can help with cares as well. If I'm combing someone's hair, I give them a wash cloth to wash their face.

Once you get to know your residents, you can anticipate every need. It takes practice. You're still new to the profession. If your residents love you, and your bosses have no problems, who cares? Bottom line is, no matter how "fast" or great of a job you are doing, someone will complain. Sometimes you have to pass on work to the next shift. It happens in all homes.

Samantha
Samantha

April 29th, 2006, 12:29 pm #3

I know this question has been addressed here before, but since you never know what fresh answers could come from asking again, here goes -

The girl who worked here before me was quick quick quick, but also what you'd call SuperAide Extroadinaire. The boss was all smiles about her but the girl didn't do the job (no wiping before putting on a fresh depends EEEEK!!, no combing hair, no washing faces, no proper showers, etc). I insist on doing this and as a result, I'm always staying after or leaving stuff for the next shift, which I loathe.

I work the night shift (alone) and have lots of lots of cleaning to do. Sweeping and mopping, kitchen cleaning, bathrooms, laundry rooms, sweeping, wiping this and that, setting up for breakfast, on and on. Also 2 hr checks on dependent residents and woah momma do we have dependant residents, I have heard many an experienced aide say it's a glamorous nursing home here.

I have seen myself get more efficient, but I really don't know how else to hurry it up, I am constantly running around and never have time for a break, not even ten wee minutes to myself, and at the end of the day I feel worn out and good about what I've done but awful about whatever I haven't.

What corners are okay to cut? What corners aren't? According to the Admin, I have plenty of time to do what I need to, no other aides have complained about too little time, etc. Har har. According to the RN, it will get better. But. It's not! I feel like I've reached peak efficiency here and I'm struggling like crazy - and it surely doesn't help to have the day and evening shifts talking about how eeeeasy nights are.

The residents really like me, which makes me so happy. I really love what I'm doing, cattiness and infighting aside (though, to be fair, some aides and a couple nurses on other shifts have been exceptionally kind to me).

I would really appreciate some feedback here. Could I possibly be more of a home health type? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks for your time!
If I were you, I'd look to cut corners on all the cleaning. Let housekeeping pick up that slack. Your priority is the residents' needs. They always want to dump everything on nocs, I well know from experience. Apparently, we have all the time in the world to get everything done because when you're the only CNA on to look after 36 residents, you need to keep busy cleaning/filing.

May 1st, 2006, 2:25 pm #4

I have been an aide since 1997. I only started this field because it paid the best in my area without a college degree and provided free training.
Little did I know, that I would still be doing this. But there is this little something in me, I seem to know when someone needs something ( only because I check the rooms every hour) and when they do need something, I always automatically know what they want or can find out by looking at them or talking to them. Each resident has their own quip or quirk - if you can figure that out, then your job will be a pleasure. My paycheck is not figures it is thank yous and I don't know what I would have done w/o you.
When I first started, I was blessed to be trained by an aide that didn't always get done on time, but she loved the residents and took the best care of them she possibly could. It was only for her love of people - which she passed on to me - and I am grateful everyday for it. I noticed right away that the res. took to her more than the other aides, and I strived for that very same thing. Of course you will not be fast in the beginning, because you do not know the people that well and do not have a routine, but it comes with practice. I have drove home frustrated more than once. But do not forget about other aides that come to work with you - remember the hard times you had and try to make their's better by helping out - whether telling a res.'s fav drink or helping them empty linen carts at the end of the shift. My rule is that I do not leave until everybody's work is done.

Michelle
Michelle

May 2nd, 2006, 1:08 am #5

Thanks for the feedback - I'll just give it time then, I suppose.

diane
diane

June 26th, 2006, 8:38 pm #6

don't give up, what you have to do is get you a routine thats going to work for you and only you....I have been a cna for 9 years and I started off slow until I got me a routine thats works for me. and it work out great and one thing that I find is easy for me is when you start your patient care rounds. get the more alert and ambultory patients out the way first. then work on your total care patients.take a little break and start back. I work a 12 night shift. I do my rounds at 12pm and turn patients and I turn my patients from side to side only cause they may bedsores on the butt. and I try to turn them all the same way toward the door or window. I have to give 4 baths a night and I give the totally bed ridden patients a bath, my not so total I wash them up early. I try to finish my patients by 10:30pm do rounds at 12 and turn/2am rounds and turn start my cleaing and bedbaths at 4am
do my output. and by 6:30am I am finish to do my charting. but this is my routine. on your total care patients put what you need in there room so you don't have to go in and out have what you need there. so don't be in a hurry take your time and pace youself. the other superaid,that was there didn't do what she as a cna was suppose to do., clean and make sure your patients/residents are clean, don't leave them in poop/urine, they are still human beings and Gods creation. remember we may be a resident/patient in long term care one day..........
so take care and get you a routine down thats going to work for you.......