Moderator: Moderators

Newbie - should I or shouldn't I 🤔

Garydiesel
Commoner
Garydiesel
Commoner

May 8th, 2018, 10:57 am #1

Hi there,

I'm maybe asking the wrong people for an objective and unbiased opinion, but here goes anyway ?

I'm looking for a second bike, as a local run around and for a bit of green lane / trial stuff.
The extremes considered so far vary between a Montessa 4Ride and a BSA B44 or 50
I may end up with fiddling with the beeza more than riding it, and I know the Montessa is only good for short on road distances.

So, been looking at the SR40.
There are a couple for sale on line, but have not laid hands on one yet.
What do the folks here think, are they OK off road?

Thanks,

Gary

Garydiesel
Commoner
Garydiesel
Commoner

May 18th, 2018, 8:13 pm #2

Well I've done it now, bought the CCM ?
Looks they biz, and runs beautifully!

One little issue (easily sorted); the gearing is very much road orientated. The thing will get up to the national speed limit very, very easily, (?), but is not happy pottering about a field.
Sprockets fitted are 15\38, which is far too tall for what I need (a bit of green laneing and the ability to get there ). So a reasonably comfortable 60mph as top would be just fine.
Some US forums suggest 15\47 sprockets for a DRZ400 (same engine), what do folks here think?

Monty
God

May 18th, 2018, 8:56 pm #3

I find the 15/43 std gearing works well off road, on mine anyway
If it aint sharp I can play with it
My Utube Channel, lots of bike vids here. Subscribe if you likehttp://www.youtube.com/user/choppermark?feature=watch

Garydiesel
Commoner
Garydiesel
Commoner

May 22nd, 2018, 6:49 pm #4

Thanks for that.
After a bit more research, and some help from JT sprockets, I've gone for a cheap 47T rear to try.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Rider
Viscount

June 10th, 2018, 6:29 am #5

Welcome to the site. There is a lot of good information here and Monty is one of many that will help you if needed with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Garydiesel
Commoner
Garydiesel
Commoner

June 12th, 2018, 9:51 pm #6

Thanks Rider.
Really appreciate the help, it's good to know there's a bit of back up!

The new sprocket (and extra 4 links of chain!) is working really well.
Had a good off road day at Wern Ddu quarry last Saturday, and surprised myself with what the bike can do. (any problems were not with the bike ?) New barkbusters are well scratched ?

The other guys on site were using the latest GasGas or KTM etc, so I was obviously not anywhere near competing with that lot! They thought I was nuts ?. They could of course be correct.

The day out gave me a lot of confidence about using the SR40 for greenlaneing. Very pleased.
New gearing still allows a (relatively!) comfortable 65 on the tarmac, so just what I wanted really.
Just having a lot of fun running around with the thing; such a huge contrast to the Thruxton!