Cat-Tales 72: Pearl

Official Message Board for the popular Cat-Tales series by Chris Dee, spinoffs, fan art gallery, extras and support

Cat-Tales 72: Pearl

Chris Dee

11 Jan 2017, 19:23 #1

The World's Greatest Detective marrying the World's Greatest
Thief.
There are only a few ways this story can end. All of them involve a
heist.

Yes, folks, the new tale is finally beginning.  And as you keep pointing out, it's been a while.  Please let me know if you encounter a bad link or any strangeness in the social sharing snapshots, etc.  I am disgracefully out of practice.
Cat-Tales 72: Pearl on the main website, and the mobile-friendly mirror Cat-Tales.mobi.
-Chris Dee

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Superpowers corrupt... superbly. -Cat-Tales: Identity Element

stephensmat2

13 Jan 2017, 04:34 #2

Y'know, this is the whole Cat-Tales romance in a pearl-sized package right here.

Bruce thinks of the sweetest thing he could possibly offer his Bride, knowing full well it's be the most agonising thing he could do. That's Batman in a nutshell. "I'll give you this, and if it happens to torture me to do it, I will make sure to bleed a lot; because you're worth it."

And then Selina takes less than a day to find a way to make it even better and do it without that self-immolation streak that Batman is famous for. That's why she's so good for him. Not just because she makes it less brutal, but because she sees the sweetness where other people would see self-destruction.

What interests me about this chapter though is the almost throwaway line about how Bruce could make other women very happy 'if only he wasn't Batman'. Selina, quite correctly, makes the point that Batman is the guy she fell in love with; and she won't send him away until the Honeymoon is over... and then proceeds to give him a face that is 50% Great Detective, and 50% High End Thief? Bruce's not the only one looking for an offset. A version of Batman that's willing to practice the art of 'community property'? Selina's Bachelorette gift and Christmas presents came early.

(One question: Why Scottish Fold?)

The other interesting point is the 'skewed sample' conversation. Selina makes the point that all the cops know is how the bad crooks commit crimes, because the Her-Level thieves never get noticed by public servants.

And I don't know if he's realized it yet, but he's falling into the same trap. He never figured out Feline Logic because he keeps trying to jump to the end of the sentence and Bat-Autocorrect screws him up. He's Batman, so he still wins, but there's a reason why he never put Catwoman in Arkham, and there's a reason why Francois and the rest of her All-Star Team never got nabbed.

So here we have a story where Selina gets to make the point, and have Bruce try his very best to keep his White Belt on until the point is made. Selina is always at her strongest when she is making a point. A fact that was the motivating arc of the original Cat-Tales. It's nice to get these little flashes when we're planning the wedding.

So what we have here is a Pearl Sized condensed version of the Cat Tales Love Story.

Oh, it's great to be back!

Star Ranger4

17 Jan 2017, 03:29 #3

Well, given that my memory claims ..

Hang on... (pops google tab)

I'd say the wiki page kinda sums it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Fold

TLDR: They are a very popular cat with owners, but many activists dislike those who breed them because the central bloodline as a severe tendency to several genetic disorders that are very tightly tied to what makes them unique as a breed.

Ergo, I personally am assuming that up to this point Selena has been having one of those days where every good thing has developed some sort of unintended crisis that needed clawing.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?

That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Chris Dee

17 Jan 2017, 15:43 #4

Hey guys, I'm not saying this is absolutely why Selina chose that particular breed to be the code word for their engagement, but it does happen to be the breed of Maru, a Japanese YouTube cat who might just be the most popular feline on the internet.
Meet Maru only when you have time to watch a lot of videos, because it's notorious for the "Just one more" factor.\
For those interested in the breed, he is a straight-earred fold (who knew there was such a thing? not me.)  And they are one of the most sweet-tempered breeds out there.*
Apologies for the digression, I return you now to talk of Cat-Tales.
*within reason. If you occupy one of Maru's boxes, as you'll see, there are going to be consequences,
-Chris Dee

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Superpowers corrupt... superbly. -Cat-Tales: Identity Element

Stewart M

18 Jan 2017, 05:01 #5

Kudos
for this passage:
[Selina:] “Remind me, how many martial
arts have you mastered?” she asked sharply.
[Bruce:] “We’ve
talked about this. There’s no real answer to that question; it
depends on where you draw the line saying a certain master’s
technique is different enough to call it a separate fighting style.
Count Japanese, German and Brazilian jujitsu as three distinct
disciplines, that level of distinction it’s between thirty and
forty fighting arts. But if you go into the minutiae and politics of
the dojos, where a master’s sons and students founded different
schools that feud, recognize and disavow each other over time, the
total must be over a hundred...
I know how to be a white belt.
Taking the term literally, it’s all I’ve ever been. Because I
never stayed long enough to become a black belt in the true sense.
I know how to suppress what I know, to lock it away in a
corner of my mind and take my place at the low end of the mat as a
beginner. ...
And as soon as I feel that click of
understanding, the box inside my mind unlocks and I begin integrating
whatever technique I’ve just learned into everything else I know.
As soon as I feel the click, I start adapting the technique to make
it my own."
This finally amends a baffling old piece of
Bat-canon, the notion that Batman has mastered some stupid number of
martial arts styles (127 is often cited). Reasonably, he would
probably look more like this, a sort of dojo-tramp, absorbing
anything new and useful and moving on tout
de suite
It also touches on an important but rarely-considered angle to the
academics and philosophy of martial arts.
Written like someone
with a true respect for the martial arts. Well done.
My Novel - Batman 1939: The Dangers of Being Cold
FanFiction.net
Wattpad
AO3

Oberoten

18 Jan 2017, 05:02 #6

Oh this, this was worth waiting for. I work nights and I almost woke my patient several times due to chuckling out loud. The idea of Bruce getting to be led around to a new facett of his own personality he might never have met before is amazing.

I always love these stories more for the personalities than for the actual crime-solving even though that too is first rate. Well played, well played indeed.

denelian

20 Jan 2017, 18:49 #7

i re-read everything before i read the new story.

somehow, that made the new one even *more* powerful!

Random Equinox

22 Jan 2017, 05:15 #8

Woohoo!  A new Cat-Tales!  Now this is how you start 2017 (okay, it was early/mid January and I just saw it today, but still)!
First, this shows just how far Bruce (and Batman) have come.  There was a time where the idea of marriage, much less pearls, would have been too painful.  Besides, they were already together in one way or another (partners, common-law, call it what you will).  But there is something to be said for going through with the act itself.  The symbolism, the commitment.  Bruce clearly wants that.  He's willing to go 'all in,' even if it requires giving his bride-to-be the pearls that he despises.  As stephensmat2 said, she's worth it.

Which makes Selina's return gesture all the sweeter.  She knows what it took for him to commit to that, she's grateful that he was willing to do it, but she doesn't want him to torture himself and taint everything.  Besides, it only reflects one half of the man she loves.  Her idea, which is all kinds of inspired: a) offers a gift that reflects Bruce Wayne and Batman, b) offers a new alias/legend capable of moving in circles that Matches (even Matches 2.0) wouldn't dream of entering and c) allow her to correct some of the preconceptions, illusions and prejudices that (Psycho)Bat is attributing to the criminal element.

It's the last bit that may prove to be the most challenging.  Partly because there's still an element of PsychoBat in the Bat that says this is My City and we do things My Way.  Period.  Partly because Bruce is an incredibly gifted and precocious student, one that is clearly prone to taking the start of the lesson, extrapolating what he believes is the 'course material' and jumping straight to the end. Never mind that some, if not all, of the lesson may lie in the actual teaching process itself.  He might be jumping to the wrong conclusions altogether.  

Selina clearly has her work cut out for her.  I can't wait to see the next lesson unfold.  Welcome back, Chris!

Star Ranger4

24 Jan 2017, 03:04 #9

Random Equinox wrote:
It's the last bit that may prove to be the most challenging.  Partly because there's still an element of PsychoBat in the Bat that says this is My City and we do things My Way.  Period.  Partly because Bruce is an incredibly gifted and precocious student, one that is clearly prone to taking the start of the lesson, extrapolating what he believes is the 'course material' and jumping straight to the end. Never mind that some, if not all, of the lesson may lie in the actual teaching process itself.  He might be jumping to the wrong conclusions altogether.  

Selina clearly has her work cut out for her.  I can't wait to see the next lesson unfold.  Welcome back, Chris!
total truth there that kinda slipped past below my concious radar RE.  Nice Pickup!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?

That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

KLCtheBookWorm

10 Feb 2017, 19:43 #10

Jezuz, Bruce just made me feel bad about pearl jewelry, and my parents are alive, well, and live right next door to me. Thank Bast that Selina will not let him eviscerate himself for her.
Teaching him to be a master class thief and building an alias for that, oh this will be fun. Random Equinox said it best about Bruce jumping straight to the end. I'm envisioning a club of former teachers/sensais of one Bruce Wayne commiserating over the headaches he gave them. :D "Too smart for his own good" possibly will come up in the next chapters.