September 11th, 2017, 8:32 am #31

Oh man, am I late to the party or what?  Well, better late than never.

I did find it funny that Bruce/Tommy and Selina drove each other to distraction with the sexiness of their voices.  Thankfully, they managed to work out their frustrations... several, several times!

Loved Bruce's dream on how his 'What if' caper went horribly wrong.  I only wish it could've lasted long enough to see him admit the truth to Superman: 'Sorry, Clark, I kinda fucked up.'

OK, maybe 'loved' was too strong, 'cuz Dick's log?  That I loved.  Absolutely loved.  As soon as I saw the encryption key, I knew I'd love it.  More of a personal log than an official report, but that was part of what made it work.  As much as I thoroughly enjoy seeing things through Bruce/Tommy/Batman's eyes or Selina/Catwoman's felinity, it's great to see things from another perspective.  And boy, did we ever get that!  The sheer amount of personality, warmth and humour really just popped off the screen!  It's character moments like these, more than anything else, that draws me back time after time.

It was also great to see that Bruce had his 'click of understanding' on what made Tommy 'Tommy,' just as Dick did all those years ago.  Yeah, it took a while.  Yeah, there were a few false starts.  But we've finally got it figured out.

And just in time: now we finally know what Bruce's plan is for Selina's gift.  After all the baby steps and training steps, it's time to move to the next stage of the game...

October 2nd, 2017, 7:14 am #32

I think thief bruce would have been like Selina in a way.   She has stopped things a few times. mostly because the crimes she saw impinged on her own morality.  So bruce probably would have stopped some too.  And robbed the bad guys blind in the process

October 5th, 2017, 11:18 pm #33

The new chapter is here! 

Thomas Pearl is the criminal Bruce would have become if he’d gone that way. And he's targeting Luthor's money men. There was no way we weren't going to wind up in a Caribbean tax haven... Part 6: East End.

(Yeah, East End, Grand Cayman. What other East End did you imagine the title might be referring to?)

Anyhoo, you know the links: Main Cat-Tales website and mobile-friendly mirror Cat-Tales.mobi

October 7th, 2017, 7:32 pm #34

Love the chapter, hate chrome.  Its screwing up the markup and google seems to think that I wont ever need to over-ride it.

And CWolf?  Strange you should mention what you did.  Clearly the same thought has been in Chris' mind.

Heh.  Heh.  Heh.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?

That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

October 8th, 2017, 9:05 am #35

I honestly didn't realize that there was an East End, Grand Cayman.  Hopefully it has a better reputation than East End, Gotham City!

It's fascinating to see Bruce set up Tommy's lifestyle while simultaneously prepping for the LexCorp heist.  I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how he found Tommy, slipped the tracker on and broke into the LexCorp vault.  When this is over, it might not be easy going back to a life of dark, brooding crimefighting where criminals are nothing but superstitious fools... who may occasionally use gummy cats.

I loved Barbara's and Cassie's logs.  Babs busy ranting about how Selina is Mrs. Batman?  Cassie observing how Selina is the one sensei who isn't grim, following her target and squeeing over makeup and spa treatments?  It's the character development that brings me back time and time again.  As much fun as it may be seeing the preparation for the LexCorp heist, it's Bruce's development of Tommy--and of himself--and the development of Selina, Barbara, Cassie and all the other people that brings me back time and time again.  Can't wait to see what happens next!

October 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm #36

Selina has a history of short-circuiting the smart ones. 

You make a lock with Kryptonian and Atlantian Tech, so it's thief proof? Selina uses a key.

You plan a brilliant way to hack some secret database and find out a secret plan to conquer the world? Selina saunters up to someone and asks politely.

You add a top-notch bio-metric scanner? Use a gummy cat.

You have a super assassin trained from the cradle? Get her hooked on Bagels.

I'm not sure where the Luthor plot is leading yet, but I like RE's point about how Bruce might have trouble going back to Broody, now that he's lived on the High Side of the Wild Side. Admittedly, he hasn't seen Selina as 'just a criminal' since ever, but there's another current of 'humanizing' that goes through Selina; the only sensei who teaches Cassie about lipstick.

I wonder where that leaves Oracle. Last chapter was Dick having flashbacks to the old-Bruce, and now we have Mrs Grayson trying to process the new-Selina.

Oracle's musings also gave me a flash of episodes to come. If Superman and Joker both feel they need to run the Bachelor Party, then Oracle and probably Ivy will have to figure out the Bachelorette's.

But that's for another time.

November 17th, 2017, 12:24 am #37

New Chapter Day.  Forecast for Metropolis: Cloudy, Precipitation  0%, Humidity 74%, Wind 14 mph. Chance of Cat Burglar 100%  Pearl Part 7: Fortuna on the main website and mobile-friendly Cat-Tales.mobi
-Chris Dee

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Superpowers corrupt... superbly. -Cat-Tales: Identity Element

November 21st, 2017, 5:43 am #38

We've reached the point in the story where there's no point speculating, because we're close enough that Chris isn't going to give hints or feedback. ;-)

That said, the tick-tick-tick part of the great heist hasn't resolved, thanks to the perspective shift. I like that Bruce and Selina can cover for each other from whole other places, and correct me if I'm wrong, but can do it almost by improv.

Selina's mental parallels to how it used to be completes the 'one last hurrah' feeling that we got from her training Tommy. This is how Selina would have taken up crimefighting if she had a mind to back then; and she does it by being more classy and awesome as Selina than she is as Catwoman. Nice touch.

I still feel like the hammer is going to come down in an unexpected way, though. Selina said it herself a few chapters ago: "The heist is almost done, you're still in the middle of the target place, and the vault just opened. If someone's going to pull a gun on you unexpectedly, it's now, surrounded by guards."

A few chapters ago, that was an insight into how her old life worked. Now it's the middle of a big heist, so that comment has become foreshadowing. This is just going too smoothly. 

November 22nd, 2017, 1:19 am #39

It's always fun to see things from a different POV.  In this case, we get to see what Selina's been up to, and what was going through her head during some of her chats with Bruce.  Seeing how she broke into LexCorp early on was cool enough, but knowing it was just the latest preparation for the big heist makes it even more exciting.  And having PsychoBat have a mini-meltdown over the gummy cats was just as amusing the second time around.

One of the unexpected highlights of doing some prep work in Metropolis was the chance to touch bases with Clark Kent/Superman.  The changes in technology and social awareness that have occurred over the past decade or so have definitely put some serious challenges on 'traditional' journalism, making it harder and harder to present objective, well-researched, informative pieces in an age where it's so much easier to get distracted by opinion-based one-shots, sound bites, fake news and Twitter wars.  It's even worse for Clark because he is a responsible journalist and doesn't have any outlets, like a story of his own to investigate or a crisis that needs resolving, when he's on Monitor Duty.  So what a welcome relief it must be to give Selina a lift back to Gotham and buzz a couple buildings.  And what a surprise it is to find out that the criminal is the only one who was thoughtful enough to say thank you with a gift.  Honestly, people, would it kill you to show a little gratitude?

Given that we're still in the preparation stage, there's only so much suspense one can feel right now.  I wouldn't be surprised if the slow simmer we're experiencing right now will suddenly escalate to a roiling boil once the heist itself begins in earnest.  As stephensmat pointed out, things have been going pretty well so far.  Maybe too well...

January 11th, 2018, 9:54 pm #40

One year ago today, Pearl began with Chapter 1: White Belt.  Today it concludes.  Chapter 8: Heist is now available on the Cat-Tales website and mobile friendly Cat-Tales.mobi .

Enjoy.