Chinese Weapons

General chit-chat, talk about anything ya want... as long as it's clean, considerate, and respectful.

Chinese Weapons

Quill Master
Ye Olde Guard
Quill Master
Ye Olde Guard

March 23rd, 2007, 8:22 am #1

In my effort to learn more and more Chinese words/characters while also taking in some of the culture, I recently bought this kind-of-cool display of old Chinese weapons.

>Click!<

The weapons are really cool and I think many of them could be made in brick-format... actually, I was also wondering how well they would go with LEGO figs in general... they are a bit long, but they could technically be held in a figs hand.

Either way, just being able to look at them when writing has offered some cool ideas for my story... and I'll definatley have to include my asian factions sooner rather than later. :spear:

Maedhros
Ye Olde Guard
Maedhros
Ye Olde Guard

March 23rd, 2007, 8:29 am #2

How can´t you love Chinese weapons? :D

My favourites are probably these blade-like thingys from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon... no idea how they would be possible to render in LEGO though...

The spears/halberds you showed there looked really cool as well... are they good size for minifigs..?
"All disasters stem from us. Why is there war? Perhaps because now and then I might be inclined to snap at my neighbour. Because I and my neighbour and everyone else do not have enough love. Yet we could fight war and all its excrescences by releasing, each day, the love that is shackled inside us, and giving it a chance to live."

- Etty Hillesum

The Hordesman
In FBTB Realm
The Hordesman
In FBTB Realm

March 23rd, 2007, 10:10 am #3

Wow, those are great! Give us pictures with minifigs please!

You know, many of those have european cousins, looking pretty much the same but without the red fluff- this could make them versatile to use.

My uncle owns some of these in actual size, though most of them are for martial arts and not so decorated. He travels alot to Hong Kong and picks up alot of things... And alot of pirated movies of questionable quality. :P
Herpus es Derpus
-Family motto

Dr. Paleo Ph.D.
Wizard at Brickworld
Dr. Paleo Ph.D.
Wizard at Brickworld

March 23rd, 2007, 6:14 pm #4

Oohh!!! So neat! B) I love this kind of stuff...some of them remind me of the pike with 4 side blades...and I thought that was all fake. :huh:

Graynar
CW Hero

March 25th, 2007, 5:46 pm #5

Nice stuff indeed.

And I think TLC has made a few Chinese weapons, one for example -that wierd 5 bladed Johnny thunder Orient expedition spear. And the Samurai swords (Japenese I think) but I think that's about it.

The Hordesman
In FBTB Realm
The Hordesman
In FBTB Realm

March 25th, 2007, 5:50 pm #6

Graynar @ Mar 25 2007, 05:46 PM wrote: that wierd 5 bladed Johnny thunder Orient expedition spear. And the Samurai swords (Japenese I think) but I think that's about it.

Well, the "orient expedition spear" as people call it, looks exactly like a certain type of chinese polearm, but also the european spetum, so it is "half-asian".

And well, the katana is a katana, doesn't get more japanese than that.
Herpus es Derpus
-Family motto

Maedhros
Ye Olde Guard
Maedhros
Ye Olde Guard

March 25th, 2007, 6:08 pm #7

The Hordesman @ Mar 25 2007, 05:50 PM wrote: And well, the katana is a katana, doesn't get more japanese than that.

Well... I always think of it as a tachi because of the size.. in fact I think it is too large for that as well so maybe a No-Daiichi or something would be more fitting....
"All disasters stem from us. Why is there war? Perhaps because now and then I might be inclined to snap at my neighbour. Because I and my neighbour and everyone else do not have enough love. Yet we could fight war and all its excrescences by releasing, each day, the love that is shackled inside us, and giving it a chance to live."

- Etty Hillesum

The Hordesman
In FBTB Realm
The Hordesman
In FBTB Realm

March 25th, 2007, 7:03 pm #8

Well, probably a Nodachi, but I would never say anything on a minifig is even close to some actual scale- just look on the revolver, or the common sword popularly called "broadsword", which is probably more close to an extremely thick-bladed longsword. ;)
Herpus es Derpus
-Family motto

Maedhros
Ye Olde Guard
Maedhros
Ye Olde Guard

March 25th, 2007, 7:18 pm #9

The Hordesman @ Mar 25 2007, 07:03 PM wrote: Well, probably a Nodachi, but I would never say anything on a minifig is even close to some actual scale- just look on the revolver, or the common sword popularly called "broadsword", which is probably more close to an extremely thick-bladed longsword. ;)

Right you are of course.... maybe it´s simply my personal preference for the older style (since Katanas weren´t used very much before the 17th century)

Now we are way off-topic though.... :P

- Etty Hillesum

Dr. Paleo Ph.D.
Wizard at Brickworld
Dr. Paleo Ph.D.
Wizard at Brickworld

March 25th, 2007, 8:06 pm #10

Hmm...reminds me of my samurai sword report days. :P I think it's a Tachi....

And yes Graynar, the OE pike looks Asian, as you see I mentioned it.