Too Hot To Carve

Too Hot To Carve

June 10th, 2012, 12:08 am #1

The heat and humidity has really slowed me down. Been in the upper 90's with humidity in the 70's and a heat index of 102. Stain is taking 4 to 5 days to dry. I have to start very early to carve and can get maybe 3 hours in, I pushed too hard one day and almost got too exhausted This kind of heat and humidity is very dangerous for anyone especially older folks like me. So to all carvers young and old don't overdo it like I did.To Kris photos soon but I am moving slow right now.

Carve Safe
Jerry

June 10th, 2012, 12:29 am #2

shade ,fan blowing on head and plenty of liquids

June 10th, 2012, 4:46 pm #3

that sounds like a normal day here in Florida

kevin
kevin

June 11th, 2012, 12:44 pm #4

The heat and humidity has really slowed me down. Been in the upper 90's with humidity in the 70's and a heat index of 102. Stain is taking 4 to 5 days to dry. I have to start very early to carve and can get maybe 3 hours in, I pushed too hard one day and almost got too exhausted This kind of heat and humidity is very dangerous for anyone especially older folks like me. So to all carvers young and old don't overdo it like I did.To Kris photos soon but I am moving slow right now.

Carve Safe
Jerry

last year i went to menards and bought one of those 10ft x 20ft canopys the top is white and seems to reflect alot of sunlight also a couple cheap fans to keep some air moving one other thing i did was to keep a wet hand towel on the back of my neck helps more than you think

June 11th, 2012, 2:54 pm #5

Thanks gents for response. I have a canopy but am carving under tree shade no direct sunlight on carving area. It is the humidity factor, and yes it is like Florida. index has been well over 100 for days, water gathers and drips from trees at times. I used to work in these conditions years ago when we were clearing trees for our home site but have trouble being able to work for long hours like this anymore. I guess age is catching up with me but I am not going to stop carving until I can't hold tools any more, just will take longer to complete projects.

Carve Safe!
Jerry

June 21st, 2012, 4:49 pm #6

if it isnt the rain its the heat 70 tomm that will be alot nicer my luck it will rain though be safe every one happy carving...