Sealing your carvings

July 24th, 2018, 3:33 am #1

What are you guys and gals putting on your carvings for a sealer. I know in different parts of the county it takes different sealers but just curious. I have been using Cabots clear spar finish and have good luck with it. I used to use Cabots Australian Timber Oil but it gave my wood a yellowish tint that I didn't like. Thanks in advance.

carve safe

July 25th, 2018, 3:15 am #2

echocarver wrote:What are you guys and gals putting on your carvings for a sealer. I know in different parts of the county it takes different sealers but just curious. I have been using Cabots clear spar finish and have good luck with it. I used to use Cabots Australian Timber Oil but it gave my wood a yellowish tint that I didn't like. Thanks in advance.

carve safe
Hello Echocarver , I brush matte or ultramatte lacquer thinned little bit with nitrocellulosic thinner as a first coat and as it is in the second and third.For me it's easy to apply and it dries very quick.I do it in open air next to a fan its acceptable like that its 40c mostly i can't wear a mask but i politely advice wearing one if possible.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

July 25th, 2018, 10:13 pm #3

Thank AyberkokanA. I will definitely check that out and see if it will be okay for outdoor carvings.

Carve safe

July 26th, 2018, 2:29 pm #4

echocarver wrote:Thank AyberkokanA. I will definitely check that out and see if it will be okay for outdoor carvings.

Carve safe
Hello again Echocarver i would've liked to comment on the long term results of this application but i am a new carver and i carve mostly very simple things and they are usually sold before I have the chance to see whats going on with this application.All I can say in this regard is the wood sucks the first layer immediately and the second and third layers are dry to touch no more than ten minutes.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

July 26th, 2018, 3:00 pm #5

Thanks for the great advice AyberkokanA. I did a little research and it gives a beautiful finish but would not hold up to the outdoor conditions. Thanks for your time.

Carve safe

July 27th, 2018, 1:47 am #6

I talked with a carver today who was carving at a county fair who uses Australian Timber Oil. He really likes it.