Flapsanding.

August 24th, 2018, 4:08 pm #1

Hey guys and gals. I’m new to chainsaw carving. What’s a good flap sander to use and where would I be able to order from. Can’t seem to find anything like that in our area 

August 25th, 2018, 12:48 pm #2

There is only one kind available.
Sandoflex

Not many Chainsaw Carvers use it because there expensive and the sharp edges tear them up fast.

Go to big box store in the electric Dept and buy 8 feet of all thread. 5/16 or 3/8. 1/4 is too small.

The get a bag of nuts and a bag of washers. Cut the all thread in 4”-5” lengths. Option to grind away 2” of thread.

Harbor Freight or anyplace. Cloth backed belt sanding belts.

Cut into 1.5 or 2” wide strips. 6”-7” long. Punch hole in center and feed onto all thread. Make Xs. 6 -8 or more strips Facing each way (3-4 Xs each way). Inside and out. Tighten good.

Use a cheap drill. Cheap drills have high RPMs and lower torque. You wand high RPMs. Make several once you pick the width and length of sanding belts you like. Make up all the all thread pieces. You will go thru them and won’t have to stop and make new ones every week.

Find a fine wood worker (business that use many) that tosses sanding belts Away. They still work great for us.

Harbor Freight is the cheapest to buy.
Grinding 1-2” of the thread away makes it easier on your drills chuck in the long term.
Don’t throw away the 2”-4” worn out sanding stars. Remake into 4 sheet (2 Xs) for small tight detail sanding stars.

TJ Tiberious Johanson

August 25th, 2018, 1:50 pm #3

Thanks.. sounds easy enough. I think I have belts and threaded bar already handy. I’ll give it a shot. 👍