Carving Bar Question

July 18th, 2018, 8:12 pm #1

Hello fellow artists.I would like to get some information about a particular carving bar.As you may allready know because of my mobility issues i have to work with relatively small logs ranging from 6"'s to 16" and i am trying to carve with the 12" sprocket tip 0.43 g mini bar and i carved my second bear in the pictures with that bar.But I realised I can't turn tight radiuses and carve tight places like inside the ears , front lower parts of the legs , mouth and paw details and refine the bear properly.So I put the things together and ordered a Cannon 12" dime tip bar together with the clutch bell and 68 link chain.This Bar is .43 gauge so is the chain.My question is will this bar in this gauge be too fragile to block small logs that i usually work on.I want to block and finish with the same bar and i usually carve green logs.Please give me an opinion opinion dear chainsaw artists.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

July 19th, 2018, 9:52 pm #2

Hello again! We all need 2 saws minimum, one normal blade saw for blocking out and a bit more power, second saw for the carving bar, this one is your 'paintbrush' and you don't want to destroy it by using for the wrong purpose, so to speak. The carving bar has no sprocket on the tip and heats up faster so be more gentle. Some guys don't care about that and burn them up allot, others baby them so they can last for pretty long time. (it's me) Also, it's a pretty good bear, much better than my first but it has a little pig nose on the end....! bears have a dog nose, hope you don't mind me saying 

July 19th, 2018, 11:32 pm #3

Highlander wrote:Hello again! We all need 2 saws minimum, one normal blade saw for blocking out and a bit more power, second saw for the carving bar, this one is your 'paintbrush' and you don't want to destroy it by using for the wrong purpose, so to speak. The carving bar has no sprocket on the tip and heats up faster so be more gentle. Some guys don't care about that and burn them up allot, others baby them so they can last for pretty long time. (it's me) Also, it's a pretty good bear, much better than my first but it has a little pig nose on the end....! bears have a dog nose, hope you don't mind me saying 
Hello again Highlander and thank you again for your help..I was very aware that at some point i would need a second saw but tried my chance if I could get away with that :) Okey so the carving bar is fragile or if not fragile a mission specific tool so no heavy blocking with that one I don't want to burn up a valuable equipment.So it seems that the 170 will be dedicated to the detailing bar and those refinement cuts i am imagining about will be made with a toonie tip bar maybe on another saw ? Thank you for your opinions on the bear also to be honest I think you have mercy on me about the nose , it has too many wrong cuts on it that when I think about the exhaust gasses that i inhaled to make those cuts i want to be on the other end of the saw instead of that poor piece of wood.Thank you again and can you also give me opinions about the husqvarna 536 lixp battery saw if you had the chance to use this machine please ?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk