John Lasseter is out

The Lounge. Use this board to discuss life, family, movies, music, etc.
MAGANONNO
First Laps
MAGANONNO
First Laps

July 4th, 2018, 7:28 pm #11

I often wondered if the issues with Lasseter was the reason for the lack of cars on store shelves.

GotFrank
CHAMPION!!! 
GotFrank
CHAMPION!!! 

July 4th, 2018, 7:37 pm #12

MAGANONNO wrote: I often wondered if the issues with Lasseter was the reason for the lack of cars on store shelves.
Having been at this for eleven years.  I really don't think so in the slightest.
If Lasseter had won the Nobel Prize.  You're Walmart shelves would look the same.

MackJr38
Piston Cup Racer
MackJr38
Piston Cup Racer

July 4th, 2018, 8:10 pm #13

While Mattel makes the Cars diecasts, it's not their own product line, I'd bet more of the income by percentage goes to Pixar.  So of course Mattel will more heavily distribute Hot Wheels and other toys that make them more money directly, even if Cars does make a lot of money on the whole.
Jeff
St. Louis, Missouri
(I'm an opener, that cardboard is just another recyclable to me)

MikeCabe
CHAMPION!!! 
MikeCabe
CHAMPION!!! 

July 12th, 2018, 2:41 am #14

It is surprising that to me that Cars 3 did as poorly as it did given the numbers of Cars 2 which was an inferior film.  Merchandising overestimated the demand and we got stuck with lots of cars that no one wanted and that seems to have almost killed the line.  I know that the Good Dinosaur was actually a big loss for Pixar and Cars 3 was not all that far ahead of it.