Game 5 Eastern Semifinals at New York Rangers (L 2-3 OT)

Game 5 Eastern Semifinals at New York Rangers (L 2-3 OT)

May 7th, 2012, 11:40 pm #1

Well I don't have the Game Notes tonight, as I managed to delete the email... no difference.

Rangers should come out on fire, Caps will need to weather the storm.

Apparently the only change is Brouwer in, Johansson out... of the Caps' 11 games so far, they've had 10 decided by 1 goal... of the Rangers' 11 games, they've had 8 decided by 1 goal...

watch tonight be a blowout, one way or the other.

Game on! Let's go, Caps!

Last edited by reallycrowesnest on May 8th, 2012, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think that the power of the story, if it exists, lies in what reaches the page not in spite of the writer but in spite of what is written."- Frantumaglia, Elena Ferrante July 20, 2015

May 7th, 2012, 11:52 pm #2

Hi, Roger, I'm a little late, because I'm working on a translation. I'll have to work during intermissions, hehe.

Not a blowout yet. Good old 0-0 so far.

May 7th, 2012, 11:52 pm #3

Well I don't have the Game Notes tonight, as I managed to delete the email... no difference.

Apparently the only change is Brouwer in, Johansson out... of the Caps' 11 games so far, they've had 10 decided by 1 goal... of the Rangers' 11 games, they've had 8 decided by 1 goal...

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Johansson is playing, but I'm not sure where... both teams with good chances already, SOGs are 3-1 Rangers after 3:01... SOGs are 7-1 now...

SOGs are 8-1 at the TV timeout.
"I think that the power of the story, if it exists, lies in what reaches the page not in spite of the writer but in spite of what is written."- Frantumaglia, Elena Ferrante July 20, 2015

May 7th, 2012, 11:55 pm #4

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
"Brouwer in, Johansson out"

Brouwer was playing last time. Same roster tonight.

May 7th, 2012, 11:57 pm #5

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Great chances, but the King is still the king...

oops.

May 7th, 2012, 11:57 pm #6

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Stralman redirects one shot into the net. 1-0 Rangers.

May 7th, 2012, 11:58 pm #7

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
I meant on the first line...

May 7th, 2012, 11:59 pm #8

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
OK, I see.

May 8th, 2012, 12:05 am #9

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Looks like Hamrlik to the box after this TV timeout... 2 goal lead could be HUGE tonight.

May 8th, 2012, 12:07 am #10

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
About the goal... It all started with a misunderstanding in the offensive zone for the Caps (Hendricks, Beagle and Johansson). I don't remember who was who. The guy on the left had the puck and there was an easy pass to the guy in front, but he didn't make it, instead he made a move that got him stuck in the corner with a Ranger. The guy in front (Beagle, I believe) went against the boards behind the net, where he received the puck and sent it immediately to the right wing, but the Cap who was there one second earlier had just left for a line change. The Rangers recovered the puck and easily skated to the other end of the rink with it. Then a Cap threw himself on the ice to block a shot but way too early and the Ranger who had the puck was able to make a good shot towards the net.

EDIT: It shows well that a goal you give up is generally due to a series of mistakes, not only one mistake.
Last edited by marc_mehdi on May 8th, 2012, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 12:12 am #11

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Now Caps on the PP with 1:47 left. It would be good to tie the game now.

May 8th, 2012, 12:12 am #12

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Good kill... Rangers already with 15 SOGs...

Caps get the PP now- score here, and the whole bad period is forgotten.

May 8th, 2012, 12:14 am #13

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Several turnovers by the Caps (Wideman?) then Ovechkin with a good move but the team is offside.

May 8th, 2012, 12:15 am #14

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
End of first period, Caps with only 13 seconds left to their PP. They didn't make much of the rest.

May 8th, 2012, 12:16 am #15

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Lousy PP, to end a lousy period.

SOGs are 17-4.

1-0 Rangers, end 1st.

May 8th, 2012, 12:21 am #16

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
On the PP, Caps only managed a shot over net by Green. Other events: both faceoffs won by the Rangers, a hit by a Ranger, Caps offside and a giveaway by Wideman (with almost another one seconds later).

May 8th, 2012, 12:28 am #17

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Hits are 15-8 Rangers...

Takeaways, 2-0 Rangers...

Caps lead blocked shots, 9-4...

Rangers have the faceoffs, 60% (9 of 15).

Pretty much total dominance.

Caps are lucky they're only down by one.

May 8th, 2012, 12:33 am #18

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
2nd on, PP done...

and Green to the box.

May 8th, 2012, 12:36 am #19

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Brouwer injured, he finally got off the ice... now Beagle limps to the bench...

killed, but maybe at a high price...

May 8th, 2012, 12:36 am #20

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Spectacular penalty killing, and it worked. Back to even-strength Ranger domination.

May 8th, 2012, 12:39 am #21

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Another PP for the Caps- they better get that goal back soon.

May 8th, 2012, 12:42 am #22

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Much better PP, but they got nothing through to the net.

ES again...

May 8th, 2012, 12:43 am #23

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Yes, much better, for sure.

May 8th, 2012, 12:47 am #24

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
LAICH! There's the Caps' flukey goal!

May 8th, 2012, 12:48 am #25

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
They were playing better, they get rewarded.

May 8th, 2012, 12:52 am #26

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Caps are definitely playing better in this period.

May 8th, 2012, 12:53 am #27

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Short change this period.

They'll be back to slop hockey in the 3rd.

May 8th, 2012, 12:55 am #28

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Didn't even wait for the 3rd- Carlson in the box for delay of game.

May 8th, 2012, 12:58 am #29

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Killed it, they're not pretty tonight, just effective.

May 8th, 2012, 1:06 am #30

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
1-1, end 2nd.

Need a REAL strong 3rd to take this game home.

May 8th, 2012, 1:13 am #31

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
SOGs 26-10 Rangers (yikes!)

Blocks, 17-6 Caps...

Takeaways 3-0 Rangers

Faceoffs 55% NYR (16 of 29)

still lopsided in the Rangers' favor, but the score is tied now.

This might be another OT game.

May 8th, 2012, 1:24 am #32

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
3rd on, got to come up with a goal somehow...

May 8th, 2012, 1:24 am #33

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Especially at Madison Square Garden, the Caps won't take too many risks, so it should be another one-goal game.

Third period on. Go, Caps!

May 8th, 2012, 1:27 am #34

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Semin deflected one that could have gone in.

May 8th, 2012, 1:27 am #35

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Here's the PP- this is it!

May 8th, 2012, 1:28 am #36

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Ward can't take the shot he wanted, but his line draws a penalty.
Last edited by marc_mehdi on May 8th, 2012, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 1:30 am #37

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
SCOOOOOOOOOORES!!!! CARLSON. 2-1.

May 8th, 2012, 1:30 am #38

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 8th, 2012, 1:35 am #39

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
If Caps beat the Rangers they may have to face Brodeur, after Tim Thomas and Lundqvist, and all that with a rookie in their own net. That's a great story.

May 8th, 2012, 1:37 am #40

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Backstrom hits iron!

May 8th, 2012, 1:39 am #41

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Lundqvist juuuuust got a piece of it to knock it into the crossbar.

Another Caps' PP, for.... 2:00.

May 8th, 2012, 1:39 am #42

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Delayed penalty, Holtby skates away but Caps can't build anything with the extra attacker.

Caps on the PP. Another one, please, hehe.

May 8th, 2012, 1:42 am #43

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Not their best PP. Actually a good PK by the Rangers.

9 minutes to kill now.

May 8th, 2012, 1:43 am #44

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Killed...

May 8th, 2012, 1:45 am #45

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Nice save by Girardi...

May 8th, 2012, 1:45 am #46

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
2-on-1 for Caps but Girardi breaks the pass up.

May 8th, 2012, 1:50 am #47

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
Caps with a 3-on-1 obtained by Ovechkin at a moment where Rangers had too much freedom, but they mess up and can't take a shot.

May 8th, 2012, 1:51 am #48

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
4:39 to kill, now.

May 8th, 2012, 1:52 am #49

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
It was a great defensive play by Staal, the 1 in 3-on-1, actually.

May 8th, 2012, 1:56 am #50

Game on! Let's go, Caps!
WOW, Chimera's shot was good.

Empty net with 1:30 left.