ECQF Game 2 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (L 4-5 OT)

April 16th, 2018, 3:13 am #1

Missed all the regulation with a power failure, including internet, here in Ballston... got power back just in time to see OT start... OT was very exciting, lots of good things for the Caps, but Columbus gets the break and the game.

Holtby came in start 3rd, from what I heard, Ovechkin with 2 PPGs in regulation.

Rats.

Got to come up big in Ohio.
"I think that the power of the story, if it exists, lies in what reaches the page not in spite of the writer but in spite of what is written."- Frantumaglia, Elena Ferrante July 20, 2015

April 16th, 2018, 3:43 am #2

Lost Burakovsky to injury in the 1st, upper body day to day... had a 2 goal lead, and let it slip away again... Wilson whiffs on an open net in OT, but Kuz probably should have shot it anyway...

"I think that the power of the story, if it exists, lies in what reaches the page not in spite of the writer but in spite of what is written."- Frantumaglia, Elena Ferrante July 20, 2015

April 16th, 2018, 12:00 pm #3

Missed all the regulation with a power failure, including internet, here in Ballston... got power back just in time to see OT start... OT was very exciting, lots of good things for the Caps, but Columbus gets the break and the game.

Holtby came in start 3rd, from what I heard, Ovechkin with 2 PPGs in regulation.

Rats.

Yes, you can add the problem with goalies, now. Who will start? Holtby only faced 8 shots, and he let one in. On the other hand, Grubauer seems to have more difficulties in the playoffs. The next game is very important, so it will be hard to choose.

I guess the Caps only needed a little more luck, in this game: shots were 58-30 Caps! Ovechkin played 30 minutes, and he had 10 shots on goal (plus 5 blocked and only 2 wide).

Beagle opened the score at even strength after only 2:12 of play, but after that, the Caps only scored on the powerplay: Ovechkin twice, like you said, and Oshie. The Blue Jackets scored 2 on the powerplay and 3 at even strength.

Backstrom had 2 assists and Carlson 3. Carlson has 6 assists, now, he's leading the league.

So defense is the problem. They must not think only offense, especially when they have a 3-1 lead. I guess the Caps are a better team but they made a few mistakes that cost them the win both times.

It could be 2-0 Caps with almost exactly the same games, really. They must go get two wins in Columbus, but this time in a clear way.

Bobrovsky is good, but he's only 8th in the league in GAA (3.04) and save percentage now (92%), very, very far from Fleury (0.84, 97%), Murray, etc. So the Caps must not think they are facing a wall, they must believe in their chances.

April 16th, 2018, 12:19 pm #4

Rats.

The 4 goals that Grubauer let in:

- Breakaway, Grubauer extends his legs but he's like 5 inches too much to his right so there's a little hole on his left. Still a breakaway, we can't really blame him.
- 5-on-2 for Columbus!! Yes, but the 5th Blue Jacket finally decides to let the others go alone (in case there is a turnover) and Smith-Pelly, from very far, rushes to help, he dives to try to block the decisive pass but alas he fails by very little. We can't blame Grubauer either.
- Powerplay.
- Powerplay.

I would keep Grubauer in net. The first two goals were due to mistakes by the skaters, not him. The two others were due to indiscipline (Wilson for roughing, Smith-Pelly for holding the stick).

Niskanen was also called for tripping in overtime. They killed the penalty, but still, another mistake.
Last edited by marc_mehdi on April 16th, 2018, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2018, 12:28 pm #5

Rats.

Carlson hit the post with a slap shot in the last seconds of regulation time. That was their second post in the third period.