Joined: January 2nd, 2008, 1:30 am

March 3rd, 2018, 12:35 pm #2621

There is change in attitudes about gun regulation gator. Like it or not.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 7th, 2008, 5:54 pm

March 3rd, 2018, 12:53 pm #2622

The Second Amendment has become something
of a Red Herring as far as the NRA's use of the term.

I think Wayne LaPierre would have us believe that
we all have a constitutionally guaranteed right to 
own surface-to-air missiles and grenade launchers!



They took a law from 1791 and got all pervy with it.
As it it is some kind of legal pretense for unlimited
rounds-per-minute for everybody.

Sometimes Wayne LaPierre is actually referred to 
as a Second Amendment scholar and expert, but he
is anything but. Just a very odd duck and gun industry
patsy who you would never want babysitting your
kids!
Last edited by DM3194 on March 4th, 2018, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 2nd, 2008, 9:31 am

March 3rd, 2018, 3:11 pm #2623

Why is all the gun stuff on the Trump thread?  
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 2nd, 2008, 9:31 am

March 3rd, 2018, 3:15 pm #2624

battlingignorance wrote:
stanb wrote: I hate it when they protest at Grant Circle.  At least a few times the traffic was backed up over the bridge
and a real PIA for the commuters.  Not a good  place to get distracted.
"At least a few times the traffic was backed up over the bridge" Really? Because of people standing waving at the circle? When?
On my 500 mile a week commute home.   You wouldn't know much about that though ehh?... That circle is dangerous enough without
a bunch of protesters making a scene.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

March 3rd, 2018, 5:17 pm #2625

sugarmagnolia wrote: There is change in attitudes about gun regulation gator. Like it or not.
Here's a good read, specifically about half way down explaining what it takes to amend the Constitution.

Repeal The Second Amendment? That's Not So Simple. Here's What It Would Take
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 25th, 2007, 6:00 pm

March 3rd, 2018, 6:14 pm #2626

I support the Second Amendment but consider the opening phrase vital. The idea was to provide citizen militias with the ability to defend their communities from tyranny. As far as I know it has not been used to defend private homeowner possession of  functioning nuclear weapons or even ordinary armed fighter planes. The question is where to draw the line. I put the line below automatic weapons and have my doubts about sawed off shotguns. Growing up it was my understanding that private citizens were not supposed to have machine guns or Tommy guns. Now they seem to be allowed to have more effective weapons. The inane proposals to arm teachers and convert schools into forts is just a distraction and hinders doing what needs to be done, perhaps intentionally. My step father was a WW2 vet and kept pistols around the house. However his go to weapon for use if a mob came up the driveway was a flare pistol. After he died I got the MIT pistol coach to come up to Bass Rocks with me to clean the armory up. The coach told me it was just as well those poor old weapons had not been fired  since WW2. I wonder how many dangerous caches of weapons and ammunition are sitting around in bookcases and under beds despite the instructions to lock them up.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 2nd, 2008, 1:30 am

March 3rd, 2018, 6:34 pm #2627

Gator as I pointed out before Constitutional rights are not unrestricted.  We don’t need to touch the admendment at all to restrict the sale of specific arms or change how purchases are handled.  It is not all or nothing, and it is not some slippery slope.  It is reasonable restriction to stop the unsafe environment we find ourselves in.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

March 3rd, 2018, 7:26 pm #2628

sugarmagnolia wrote: Gator as I pointed out before Constitutional rights are not unrestricted.  We don’t need to touch the admendment at all to restrict the sale of specific arms or change how purchases are handled.  It is not all or nothing, and it is not some slippery slope.  It is reasonable restriction to stop the unsafe environment we find ourselves in.
Many gun owners would think that restricting anything that is legal right now an infringement on their rights. I'm fine with the latter part. Raising the age limit for semi-auto rifles and restricting the ownership for people who have committed certain crimes and people who have a mental illness that exhibit violent tendencies. 

Banning AR-15's and other rifles is not going to stop mass shootings. They will just use another means to carry out their evil. Maybe we should look to Switzerland for advice. They are also a gun loving nation, yet no mass shootings.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 25th, 2007, 6:00 pm

March 4th, 2018, 8:55 am #2629

 Switzerland has universal military conscription for men and many women serve as well. The tradition is that you are effectively part of their National Guard forever. If you lived between Germany, Austria, Italy, and France, you would have similar policies I bet. There is more than one reason why Switzerland is not invaded.  Back when I frequently visited a Swiss friend everyone had their military gear at home ready to go but no ammunition in their closet and the mountains were all rigged for defense. Although people with serious medical problems are deferred I doubt if bone spurs qualify. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscript ... witzerland
By the way, I do not think my Swiss friends were "gun loving". They were part of the army.
Speaking of Swiss military tradition:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Swiss-Guards
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

March 4th, 2018, 10:22 am #2630

NightStalker wrote: I'm not talking about using them to kill. I'm just saying some people collect them.  should a collector be punished for what some nitwits do??   (and I 100% agree on the AR-15 type of weapons - I don't think anyone needs one). It would be like a legitimate gun collector is saying "why does that musician need 15 guitars?"  
In terms of "collectors" - the AR-15 is akin to a four-necked guitar. OK for true professionals (Rick Neilsen, anybody?!) - but otherwise, just fucking silly.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

March 4th, 2018, 10:24 am #2631

gator wrote:This isn't England or Australia and we won't be following their footsteps.
Is that the real crux of this for you, gator?!   😉

That's almost a "We're Number One! We're Number One!" cry.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

March 4th, 2018, 10:35 am #2632

stanb wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
stanb wrote: I hate it when they protest at Grant Circle.  At least a few times the traffic was backed up over the bridge
and a real PIA for the commuters.  Not a good  place to get distracted.
"At least a few times the traffic was backed up over the bridge" Really? Because of people standing waving at the circle? When?
On my 500 mile a week commute home.   You wouldn't know much about that though ehh?... That circle is dangerous enough without
a bunch of protesters making a scene.
Aw, stan...you're all a-quiver because the school I worked at for 16 years has closed?! Cute. (Hey - I'm doing some teaching at Emerson now- perhaps you can dream up some bitching about that place, no?!)

You are such a tight-ass. The rotary is not "dangerous" - no more than any other road junction in New England with Massholes driving in it. And it is not slowed down because of people standing there visibly. If it did - there'd be many more accidents, and the state would havealready done something about it. I just think you're upset because of what the people are usually there for....if it was for halving teachers' pay or making every kid got to one gigantic school campus, or a flat tax (flat earth) rally - you'd be there hollerin' with the rest of 'em!

Without the rotary at that intersection, there would truly be back-ups. Daily. As for your 500 miles a week commute - BFD. It's only the last 2 or 3 that matter here.  Happy Sunday, stan!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

March 4th, 2018, 10:44 am #2633

The last 2 or 3 tenths of a mile, at most. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

March 4th, 2018, 2:47 pm #2634

battlingignorance wrote:
gator wrote:This isn't England or Australia and we won't be following their footsteps.
Is that the real crux of this for you, gator?!   😉

That's almost a "We're Number One! We're Number One!" cry.
I thought the article I posted and the tweet from the Australian Ambassador was a good example of why we won't be following England and Australia's model. So go ahead and twist that comment however you'd like.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 2nd, 2008, 9:31 am

March 4th, 2018, 4:49 pm #2635

"Aw, stan...you're all a-quiver because the school I worked at for 16 years has closed?!" 

Haaa you mean the for profit  school that was investigated and closed  by the Attorney General for selling false dreams to students and over charging?

"(Hey - I'm doing some teaching at Emerson now- perhaps you can dream up some bitching about that place, no?!)"

You selling false dreams at Emerson now?  Whats next ripping off old ladies?

I am not so sure that you ever had a real job..
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

March 4th, 2018, 7:28 pm #2636

gator wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
gator wrote:This isn't England or Australia and we won't be following their footsteps.
Is that the real crux of this for you, gator?!   😉

That's almost a "We're Number One! We're Number One!" cry.
I thought the article I posted and the tweet from the Australian Ambassador was a good example of why we won't be following England and Australia's model. So go ahead and twist that comment however you'd like.
I'm just teasing. you're a smart guy....I'm no fool. We are just on (almost) opposite sides of this affair.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

March 4th, 2018, 7:36 pm #2637

This is probably the only issue I disagree with gator on. Which means I need to hear what he is saying and maybe he needs to hear what we are saying.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

March 4th, 2018, 11:21 pm #2638

stanb wrote: "Aw, stan...you're all a-quiver because the school I worked at for 16 years has closed?!" 

Haaa you mean the for profit  school that was investigated and closed  by the Attorney General for selling false dreams to students and over charging?

"(Hey - I'm doing some teaching at Emerson now- perhaps you can dream up some bitching about that place, no?!)"

You selling false dreams at Emerson now?  Whats next ripping off old ladies?

I am not so sure that you ever had a real job..
Well, dumbass -- it was NOT "closed by the Attorney General". At all. They investigated the school for 7 years, trying to score political points...and found nothing to hang their hat on. So they slunk away, to get on with real work. The asshole for-profit company that bought it out, closed it. Not profitable enough.
A lot of grads from there are doing really well in the applied arts - example: one's sound installation company just put a whole new sound system into one of our schools here in Gloucester. He never stops working.

Your ignorance about the place is ...well, predictable. And yeah, Emerson is a real loser place - no class or reputation, at all! 😂
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 25th, 2008, 12:11 am

March 5th, 2018, 11:49 am #2639

battlingignorance wrote:
stanb wrote: "Aw, stan...you're all a-quiver because the school I worked at for 16 years has closed?!" 

Haaa you mean the for profit  school that was investigated and closed  by the Attorney General for selling false dreams to students and over charging?

"(Hey - I'm doing some teaching at Emerson now- perhaps you can dream up some bitching about that place, no?!)"

You selling false dreams at Emerson now?  Whats next ripping off old ladies?

I am not so sure that you ever had a real job..
Well, dumbass -- it was NOT "closed by the Attorney General". At all. They investigated the school for 7 years, trying to score political points...and found nothing to hang their hat on. So they slunk away, to get on with real work. The asshole for-profit company that bought it out, closed it. Not profitable enough.
A lot of grads from there are doing really well in the applied arts - example: one's sound installation company just put a whole new sound system into one of our schools here in Gloucester. He never stops working.

Your ignorance about the place is ...well, predictable. And yeah, Emerson is a real loser place - no class or reputation, at all! 😂
You re kidding about Emerson right?
I didn't attend but I know many people who have.
It has a stellar reputation.
I get your comment though.
You were REJECTED🤓
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

March 5th, 2018, 2:35 pm #2640

Oh, dear. 

gloman, read what stanb wrote again, paying special attention to the quotes from BI therein embedded, and then read BI's reply one more time. 

Slowly, if need be. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share