Trump's New Year Message

March 2nd, 2018, 12:22 pm #2601

The rotary stand out for tomorrow (Sat 3/3) has been canceled.  It will resume the following Saturday, 12-1.

March 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm #2602

Good Opinion Piece in the GDT today. "A Shooting Solution" by Doug Hill; A Marine Corps Veteran if Vietnam.

March 2nd, 2018, 1:06 pm #2603

gator wrote: Good Opinion Piece in the GDT today. "A Shooting Solution" by Doug Hill; A Marine Corps Veteran if Vietnam.
Can you link to it, gator?  I couldn't find it online.  Doug Hill is a conservative with whom I have had many discussions and for whom I have great respect, though we often have a different point of view.  I'd like to read it.

March 2nd, 2018, 3:29 pm #2604

I can't find it, either -- only the predictable nose-in-the-air blathering from that predictable nose-in-the-air ass, Taylor Armeding.

March 2nd, 2018, 4:34 pm #2605

I'm not seeing it either on their website except in the e-Edition. I could copy and paste it, or would that be unethical?

March 2nd, 2018, 5:15 pm #2606

Just go for it but add a line of your own. I am a print subscriber and usually read it online.  Maybe I deleted the e-Edition which comes with my subscription. If they give you any trouble, let me know and I will tell them it is my fault. (They know me for better or worse.)

March 2nd, 2018, 5:24 pm #2607

Karly wrote: If any of you know young people on Cape Ann who might be interested, the Gloucester Unitarian Universalist Church is sponsoring an open forum for youth this Thursday, March 1.  The forum can include discussion on multiple issues.

From the event...

"The goal is to provide a space where young people can meet and share their thoughts, feelings, questions and ideas regarding the recent wave of youth leadership and action happening across the country.

Participants will be encouraged to explore how they can effectively increase youth agency locally and beyond, in the short term and the long term."

youth.jpg
==========+

Here’s a report about last night ( I expect the Gilnetter will have more details)

Let the Youth Lead - a Forum for Youth

On Thursday evening Director of Religious Exploration Rose Sheehan organized an open forum in our vestry for youth to come together, speak out about gun violence, and begin to make plans to participate in actions such as the March for Our Lives on March 24. Over 50 people attended, including 30 youth, and there was respectful and engaged conversation. Thank you to Rose for conceiving this and bringing so many people together.

March 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm #2608

Thanks Leland. I've been hearing reports from people who were there. I went to Allison Protas Gustavson's state rep launch.  I am glad the attendance was good for both but especially for the youth event.  Rose is someone I know and greatly respect and admire for her many outstanding and rare qualities.

March 2nd, 2018, 7:30 pm #2609

NightStalker wrote: If you collect guitars, you have several.  they all sound or play differently.   If you collect cars, you have several, they all drive differently,  if you collect guns............  yes, they all shoot differently
This is just answering the people who keep on saying "how many guns do you need"  As with everything, it depends on the person.  your needs may not be the same as others' needs.
Assault rifles are made for ONE thing war.
My suggestion is you go online and watch a video of someone shot with an AR 15 round and talk to me about gun rights vs human rights!

March 2nd, 2018, 8:09 pm #2610

From The Gloucester Daily Times - March 2nd 2018; By Doug Hill

A shooting solution

Doug Hill

According to a piece appearing in Time on Feb. 22, since the Sandy Hook shooting on Dec. 12, 2012, through the recent Parkland shooting, six adults and 35 children have been killed and 12 adults and 92 children have been injured in school shootings (Those figures are distinguished from those which appear on EveryTown.org, a Bloomberg-sponsored compilation, relied upon by most media outlets, which includes figures for incidents that would be considered by most readers as unrelated to the topic of “school shootings,” such as accidental discharges of firearms, after-hours fights between adults in a school parking lot, and suicides.) If the object is truly to prevent further school shootings, rather than merely waving political flags and entrenched talking points at the problem, then we must change our thinking, our perspective, as we have thus far been impotent to respond to the problem. Suspend in your mind for a moment the favored solution of the media to more strictly regulate, or ban outright if possible, gun ownership, and consider an alternative narrative.

As you would expect, the media is disinclined to raise the issue of their own culpability in these shootings, but culpable they are, providing the shooter nationwide, even worldwide, notoriety with non-stop 24-hour coverage. The extravagant, salacious coverage is breathtaking in its insensitivity, “How did it feel to learn that your daughter was among those killed?” Really? Did they have to ask? The media is an omnipresent carnival of breathless, “inquiring minds.” An individual stressed to the breaking point might just find being the center of the world’s attention an alluring alternative to the tormented life of an anguished loner. A copycat is born. His cry for help echoes ‘round the world on the digital wings of an enabling media.

The media will of course insist that their 1st Amendment rights not only allow, but obligate them, as the nation’s media, to “report the news.” I would argue that they are not obliged to cover every salacious detail of a mass murder 24-hours-a-day, for days at a time, great ratings notwithstanding. If such notoriety were removed from the equation, school shootings would likely cease, or at a minimum, certainly decrease. Leave the shooter’s name and image out of the reporting. Leave the salacious reporting out. We all know what the grieving mother of a dead child looks like. Just report that there was a school shooting in such and such a city and state where 6 children and 2 teachers were killed, and 14 others injured. That’s it. The media would have fulfilled its obligation to report the news, and there soon would be no more school shootings.

The preferred narrative of the media is to deflect from its own complicity and focus on banning “assault weapons.”
Calling a semi-automatic rifle an “assault weapon” because it was used in the killing of someone is like calling a Chevy Camaro that rams another vehicle in an instance of road rage an “assault vehicle.”

Why assault vehicle? Because it has a muscular engine? (”They should be banned. Why do they need that much horsepower?”) Could a Prius not run
down and kill someone just as easily? We delude ourselves. What was that truck that ran down and killed all those joggers in New York? Was it an “assault truck,” or perhaps some other make?

The AR-15 is not a “weapon of war” as the media prefers to characterize it. It was never, and will never be, used in combat. It looks like an M16, which is a military rifle designed for, and used in Vietnam, and which may be fired on semi-automatic or full automatic by use of a selector.
Most general-use firearms owned by the average person seem to be semi-automatic, whether pistol or rifle. There are other categories of firearms, such as bolt-action rifles, shotguns and others, but I would suggest that most general use firearms are semi-automatics.

Semi-automatic means that when you pull the trigger one round fires; when you pull it again, another round fires. You do not have to load the rounds one at a time each time you fire, but you do have to pull the trigger each time you fire. In the action of firing, another round is fed from the magazine into the chamber automatically, but will not fire again until you pull the trigger.

Contrast that with a fully automatic weapon from which, when you pull and hold the trigger, rounds keep firing at an extremely high rate until you release the trigger (or run out of ammo). You only need to pull (and hold) the trigger once with a fully automatic firearm, whereas with a semi-automatic firearm you must pull the trigger each time you fire a round. Semi-automatic pistols and rifles are loaded with magazines of varying sizes, which contain a specified number of rounds (bullets). and are then inserted into the pistol or rifle. Even a revolver is semi-automatic in that you pull the trigger and it fires, you pull the trigger again for it to fire again.
An AR-15 is no different than any other semi-automatic rifle. It just looks so to some.

We do ourselves no favors by muddying the facts. Spinning makes one dizzy; it does nothing to bring clarity to a solution.
For as long as the focus remains on “banning assault weapons,” we will merely be tilting at windmills.
Teachers and fellow students know who the desperate, alienated students are. There aren’t that many. They need help. They may be abused, beaten at home, bullied, alone, desperate. Help them. Get them professional help before they explode. Even if they are never destined to materialize into shooters, they are human beings who walk the halls with you, fellow sojourners in this life. Help them.

An AR-15 lying on a table never hurt anyone. Until we understand that, we will never acknowledge the problem, and in not understanding the problem, will find no solution.

It is alienation, mental illness that is responsible for these killings. For all these killings. Rage.

Doug Hill resides in Lanesville with his wife, Kristin, and is a Marine Corps veteran of Vietnam (class of ‘68).

March 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm #2611

I'm hitting like on the opinion piece by Doug because it is informative and has some important points.  I agree with Doug fully that we need to identify and help those who are showing signs of alienation.  I agree somewhat with his assertion that the media encourages copy cats with their coverage but on the other hand, the media coverage puts a human face on these killings and has helped spread the word of events like March for Our Lives. 

What I'm not seeing in Doug's letter is any mention of the fact that these weapons are getting into hands too easily. And regardless of how the rounds are fed and fired (though I do appreciate the explanation), they are killing people...lots of them and quickly.

I'm not looking to take away Doug's enjoyment of shooting clay pigeons but there are guns that are the wrong guns and in the wrong hands.

March 2nd, 2018, 9:00 pm #2612

What a pile of rot. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 2nd, 2018, 9:04 pm #2613

😂😘

March 2nd, 2018, 9:27 pm #2614

I mean, honestly, if you're just going to transcribe a bunch of bogus NRA talking points that only NRA members and their supporters buy into, why not just send a link to the NRA web site? 

I'm gonna stream some violent TV now. 

Good night.
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 3rd, 2018, 7:36 am #2615

He writes well, but so what? He is essentially just employing a surfeit of verbiage to take all responsibility away from a killing machine. As usual, he takes the defensive gunners' position that people are asking for a single solution - "banning" these weapons; which is not the truth. At all. There will be (should be) a number of actions taken and laws enacted to reduce (over time) the number of such weapons in the hands of civilians, and thus (as has happened everywhere else in the world where guns have been severely restricted) far fewer violent deaths.

I know another Viet Nam vet living in Lanesville, quite well. He would write in utter, wholesale opposition to Mr. Hill's stance. A good number of vets, ex-Marines et al are all over the media saying that AR-15s and their ilk have no place in the hands of civilians - just as we have seen numerous, exquisite legal minds argue that going this way is no diminution of the Second Amendment, at all. And many are calling, calmly and in a reasoned manner, to further "amend" the Second Amendment...or at the very least for us to adhere to ALL OF IT (...does that annoying "well-regulated" bit mean anything to you, gator?!).

A change is gonna come.

March 3rd, 2018, 8:34 am #2616

I'm not talking about using them to kill. I'm just saying some people collect them.  should a collector be punished for what some nitwits do??   (and I 100% agree on the AR-15 type of weapons - I don't think anyone needs one). It would be like a legitimate gun collector is saying "why does that musician need 15 guitars?"   
You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!

March 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am #2617

Unfortunately, yes people with innocent intent do have restrictions because of the small number of people with bad intent when that bad intent has such drastic consequences. Too bad we have to do that to live in a society, but that is what happens.
As far as the media, should we not show the coffins of soldiers coming back from war? Should they not show stories of victims of terrorist attacks? Or victims of abuse? Media should reflect the consequences of the emotional aftermath of violence. They also need to report on the facts surrounding those issues, and bring attention to what solutions different factions have for these issues. That is their role in our society.
Finally I am a true believer in not letting the perfect get in the way of progress. There is no perfect solution. But we must start trying to take steps to eat away at this large problem.

March 3rd, 2018, 10:51 am #2618

BTW the survivors of mass shootings are victims as well.  Such trama can have pyschological effects years after the event.  So to just dismiss the event with a report of the dead is not enough.  Indeed, not enough media attention is being spent on the psychological effects on the survivors and on society as a whole.

March 3rd, 2018, 11:01 am #2619

sugarmagnolia wrote: BTW the survivors of mass shootings are victims as well.  Such trama can have pyschological effects years after the event.  So to just dismiss the event with a report of the dead is not enough.  Indeed, not enough media attention is being spent on the psychological effects on the survivors and on society as a whole.
I agree.  I'd like to more coverage of the after effects and a lot of coverage of demonstrations in support of gun safety and discussions of legislation.  I don't need to see much coverage of the shooter at all.  I want to see coverage that leads to legislative change via voting.

March 3rd, 2018, 12:03 pm #2620

For the third or fourth time bi, The 2nd Amendment goes beyond a "Well Regulated Militia."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_ ... _v._Heller

Gun control advocates will never come out and say it, but yes, they do want to ban all semi automatic weapons. I don't see how actions and laws are going to reduce the number of guns over time either. Fact is, there are too many Americans out there who value here 2nd Amendment rights and won't be disarmed. This isn't England or Australia and we won't be following their footsteps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opin ... erica.html

"I was in Govt. that changed Aussie gun laws. Guns are more pervasive & cultural here in USA. We all "wish" for change but it'd be a miracle"

-Joe Hockey Aussie Ambassador to the US