Trump's New Year Message

February 28th, 2018, 8:23 pm #2581

sugarmagnolia wrote: From Tarr's Facebook page:
Commonsense Measures Come Through Collaboration
In the wake of the tragic shooting in Parkland, Florida the national debate about firearms is resuming, and it should. Violence in any form has no legitimate place in Massachusetts, or anywhere else, and that is why I’ve worked diligently, always in a bi-partisan manner, to strengthen our public safety laws, including those regulating firearms.
We should always be willing to engage one another and work to make sure that our laws are effective and keep the public safe. Such collaborative efforts have resulted in major advances in our state’s gun laws, while still respecting the second amendment:
• Following the October shootings in Las Vegas, I wrote and filed legislation to ban so-called bump stocks (of the type used in the attack) and trigger cranks. That bill, with bi-partisan support, led to legislation signed into law by Governor Baker.
• In 2014, I served as one of six members of the conference committee which ultimately produced “An Act Relative to the Reduction of Gun Violence.” Some components of this law include provisions to: give local police chiefs greater authority to petition the courts to deny applicants for shotgun and rifle permits; enhance school safety and suicide awareness programs; increase penalties for certain gun infractions; require the state’s Department of Criminal Justice Information Services to make a Web system to reform tracking the private sale of firearms; and strengthen background checks for gun sales.
Despite opposition by the National Rifle Association I supported this this bill, which also was backed by both Stop Handgun Violence, a non-profit organization committed to the prevention of gun violence, and the Gun Owners Action League.
• In the 2018 fiscal budget debate I successfully co-sponsored, with Senator Cynthia Creem, legislation requiring extensive data collection and analysis of lost and stolen guns, and firearm purchases through private and licensed sellers linked to crimes. The report, once released by the Executive Office of Public Safety, can give us valuable information about how to further address these issues.
Our nation would be far better off if Congress prioritized problem solving over inflexible partisanship, and meaningful results over rhetoric, and if organizations like the National Rifle Association would stop opposing commonsense measures.
Only through listening to, and working with, people, regardless of party affiliation or perspective, can we secure solutions to our most pressing problems. Being inclusive and collaborative works - our state has some of the strongest and most comprehensive firearms laws in the country. Now is the time for our federal government to apply our commonsense and collaborative approach to protecting people.
Thank you

February 28th, 2018, 8:26 pm #2582

gator wrote:
DM3194 wrote:                                     Good Move!

Just a PR Stunt. When they stopped selling them after Sandy Hook, they turned around and sold them at Field and Stream. And even before that, only a tiny percentage of Dicks stores carried AR's. The majority of them sell only hunting rifles and shotguns. Mom and Pop gun shops are one of the few exceptions when it come to beating out the big box stores. Has Dicks released a list yet of what they consider "assault style guns?"
PR stunt my ass!
The CEO ,was on CNN and CBS and said it is permanent in Dicks Stores.

February 28th, 2018, 8:35 pm #2583

gloman wrote:
gator wrote:

Just a PR Stunt. When they stopped selling them after Sandy Hook, they turned around and sold them at Field and Stream. And even before that, only a tiny percentage of Dicks stores carried AR's. The majority of them sell only hunting rifles and shotguns. Mom and Pop gun shops are one of the few exceptions when it come to beating out the big box stores. Has Dicks released a list yet of what they consider "assault style guns?"
PR stunt my ass!
Dick’s Sporting Goods Subsidiary Sold Assault Rifles After Sandy Hook — But Now Company Says Never Again

February 28th, 2018, 8:54 pm #2584

gator wrote:

PR stunt my ass!

February 28th, 2018, 8:56 pm #2585

After Sandy Hook, they explicitly said the removal of the guns was TEMPORARY. 

This time they are saying it is PERMANENT. 

The fact that these guns were returned to some Dick's stores/subsidiaries after Sandy Hook is 100% consistent with what they said they would do and does not mean they will do the same thing now. 

Time will tell if this time they will ALSO hold to their promise. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

February 28th, 2018, 9:09 pm #2586

Fortune Cookie wrote: After Sandy Hook, they explicitly said the removal of the guns was TEMPORARY. 

This time they are saying it is PERMANENT. 

The fact that these guns were returned to some Dick's stores/subsidiaries after Sandy Hook is 100% consistent with what they said they would do and does not mean they will do the same thing now. 

Time will tell if this time they will ALSO hold to their promise. 
Ok interesting. Most articles I read today left that little snippet out. Don't you just love the media?

Curious, how do you feel about raising the age for sporting guns to 21?

February 28th, 2018, 10:19 pm #2587

It's not a ban on possession or use -- just on purchases. Parents can still buy a gun for their kid. 

I'd make an exception for military veterans under 21, though. They deserve to be able to buy anything that's legal. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 1st, 2018, 8:35 am #2588

Fortune Cookie wrote: It's not a ban on possession or use -- just on purchases. Parents can still buy a gun for their kid. 

I'd make an exception for military veterans under 21, though. They deserve to be able to buy anything that's legal. 
If you can't drink until you're 21 then no guns until 21.

March 1st, 2018, 9:12 am #2589

gloman wrote:
Fortune Cookie wrote: It's not a ban on possession or use -- just on purchases. Parents can still buy a gun for their kid. 

If you can't drink until you're 21 then no guns until 21.
Then no military until you're 21. 

But remember: there is nothing being proposed that says you can't have a gun under 21 -- only that you can't BUY one. Parents can buy one for you. 

Requiring a veteran to ask mommy or daddy to buy a gun for them seems just silly to me. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 1st, 2018, 1:34 pm #2590

As ever - there is no one answer to the problem. A multi-faceted approach is needed.

Just like with....Oh, I don't know - climate change? Taxes? Education? Welfare? GOOD LORD...that means people have to think and embrace nuance and a little uncertainty.

Anathema for so many, right?!

March 1st, 2018, 4:12 pm #2591

battlingignorance wrote: As ever - there is no one answer to the problem. A multi-faceted approach is needed.

Just like with....Oh, I don't know - climate change? Taxes? Education? Welfare? GOOD LORD...that means people have to think and embrace nuance and a little uncertainty.

Anathema for so many, right?!
Walmart announced 21!
By the way no military till you're 21 if you can't buy a drink. Come on🤔

March 1st, 2018, 6:39 pm #2592

Even for this White House, this is a wild week.

The last 72 hours seems like a record number of dumpster fires all at once!

March 1st, 2018, 7:47 pm #2593

Even though I disagree with what Dicks and Walmart are doing, its going have a very positive impact on privately owned gun shops across the country.

March 1st, 2018, 9:16 pm #2594

gator wrote: Even though I disagree with what Dicks and Walmart are doing, its going have a very positive impact on privately owned gun shops across the country.
Yes, probably - until sensible, reasoned federal laws about registration and background checks are put in place for ALL sales of weapons. And, while we're at it - how many more fucking guns do people need?!

March 2nd, 2018, 8:00 am #2595

battlingignorance wrote:
gator wrote: Even though I disagree with what Dicks and Walmart are doing, its going have a very positive impact on privately owned gun shops across the country.
Yes, probably - until sensible, reasoned federal laws about registration and background checks are put in place for ALL sales of weapons. And, while we're at it - how many more fucking guns do people need?!
Since there will be little or no action taken in DC, states will have their own regulations.
I still don't know why anyone needs an assault weapon.?

March 2nd, 2018, 9:08 am #2596

If you collect guitars, you have several.  they all sound or play differently.   If you collect cars, you have several, they all drive differently,  if you collect guns............  yes, they all shoot differently
This is just answering the people who keep on saying "how many guns do you need"  As with everything, it depends on the person.  your needs may not be the same as others' needs.
You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!

March 2nd, 2018, 9:17 am #2597

NightStalker wrote: If you collect guitars, you have several.  they all sound or play differently.   If you collect cars, you have several, they all drive differently,  if you collect guns............  yes, they all shoot differently
This is just answering the people who keep on saying "how many guns do you need"  As with everything, it depends on the person.  your needs may not be the same as others' needs.
Not the same thing...and there are needs vs wants.  No guitars have been involved in mass murders of our kids.  

March 2nd, 2018, 10:07 am #2598

NightStalker wrote: If you collect guitars, you have several.  they all sound or play differently.   If you collect cars, you have several, they all drive differently,  if you collect guns............  yes, they all shoot differently
The one and only guitar ever designed to kill was Woody Guthrie's. Cars are not designed to kill. At all.

"Need"?! Good try, but -

Try harder, Night.....

March 2nd, 2018, 10:17 am #2599

So, the "right" of someone to have a gun just 'cuz they like the way it looks or feels in their collection trumps anyone else's right to actually live? 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 2nd, 2018, 12:11 pm #2600

Constitutional rights are not unlimited.  We regulate rights in the name of public safety all the time.  You can not falsely yell fire in a crowded theater --- that is an accepted limitation on free speech.