The Registry----ugh

The Registry----ugh

t
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 12:04 am

April 3rd, 2018, 4:25 pm #1

Lost my wallet right when the new ID and new software hit

thought I would warn anyone  who needs to go, the wait times online are the time from when you get a ticket until you are served. At least 45 minute wait to get a ticket....new ID requirements, passport, ss card, and proof of address..and the are training the clerks in real time, on you.  I showed up with passport, original SS card, rmv registration renewal form, and a utility bill in my name for ID, no problems

If you are doing a license renewal that you must go in, download the form and fill it out ahead of time. Bring extra forms of ID in case one is not quire right


I have done most business with them online for years, but had to do it this time in person
yesterday afternoon it was about 2 1/2 hours in Wilmington
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 13th, 2005, 5:30 am

April 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm #2

Thanks for the report!  I wrote elsewhere here that my license expires next month and I chose to do an early (pre March 26) online renewal.  I waivered between doing that and waiting to get a Real ID but for the very reasons you wrote about, I opted to do a regular license for now.  If I had had more time before my license expired I may have waited, but thanks for making me feeling like I did the right thing, lol.

Sucks to lose your wallet!  Any cash is probably the very, very least of concerns.  The license, credit cards, bank cards  - I have a headache just thinking about it.  My condolences ...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 17th, 2016, 12:58 pm

April 3rd, 2018, 5:11 pm #3

Will you be able to get the Real ID at AAA offices that allow license renewal? (I checked the RMV page and didn’t see it mentioned with a yay or nay).

Edit: a typo
Quote
Like
Share

t
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 12:04 am

April 3rd, 2018, 5:18 pm #4

no

you need to to real id at the registry
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 13th, 2005, 5:30 am

April 3rd, 2018, 5:36 pm #5

I think you can go to AAA.

From the Registry's site, the page specifically about the new requirements:

"Applying for a learner’s permit? Renewing your driver’s license? Amending information on your Mass ID? Transferring your license from another state? Make sure you ‘Get Ready’ first! Start your application online by answering a series of questions. If you cannot finish your transaction online, at the end of the questionnaire, you will be provided with a complete application and list of required documents that you will need to bring with you to a RMV Service Center or AAA office (if you are a member)."

https://www.mass.gov/guides/new-massach ... quirements

And from MassLive:

"REAL ID customers will need to visit an RMV Service Center, that would include AAA locations that offer Registry services, with original copies of supporting documents showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, as well as other required documents."

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/i ... day_r.html
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 3rd, 2006, 8:10 pm

April 3rd, 2018, 5:42 pm #6

Thank goodness I live in Maine.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." - Christopher Hitchens
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 20th, 2007, 11:54 pm

April 3rd, 2018, 9:48 pm #7

t wrote: Lost my wallet right when the new ID and new software hit

thought I would warn anyone  who needs to go, the wait times online are the time from when you get a ticket until you are served. At least 45 minute wait to get a ticket....new ID requirements, passport, ss card, and proof of address..and the are training the clerks in real time, on you.  I showed up with passport, original SS card, rmv registration renewal form, and a utility bill in my name for ID, no problems

If you are doing a license renewal that you must go in, download the form and fill it out ahead of time. Bring extra forms of ID in case one is not quire right


I have done most business with them online for years, but had to do it this time in person
yesterday afternoon it was about 2 1/2 hours in Wilmington
I lost my SS card when I was a teen. I wonder how you get a new one? I had a government issued ID when I worked for the government but had to turn it in when they stopped the program. I wonder if my existing Mass license and an older expired Mass drivers license will do?
Quote
Like
Share

t
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 12:04 am

April 4th, 2018, 12:21 am #8

Dun Fudgin wrote:
t wrote: Lost my wallet right when the new ID and new software hit

thought I would warn anyone  who needs to go, the wait times online are the time from when you get a ticket until you are served. At least 45 minute wait to get a ticket....new ID requirements, passport, ss card, and proof of address..and the are training the clerks in real time, on you.  I showed up with passport, original SS card, rmv registration renewal form, and a utility bill in my name for ID, no problems

If you are doing a license renewal that you must go in, download the form and fill it out ahead of time. Bring extra forms of ID in case one is not quire right


I have done most business with them online for years, but had to do it this time in person
yesterday afternoon it was about 2 1/2 hours in Wilmington
I lost my SS card when I was a teen. I wonder how you get a new one? I had a government issued ID when I worked for the government but had to turn it in when they stopped the program. I wonder if my existing Mass license and an older expired Mass drivers license will do?
there is a list of forms of id on the website

old pages are still up, make sure 'real id' is the heading

I would triple check before going to the AAA
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 15th, 2006, 1:02 am

April 4th, 2018, 9:22 am #9

first will be a bed of hot coals, then a flaming hoop and then a creek full of alligators.  and 6 months from now we'll read the registry and state screwed everything up and our real ID's are no good.
You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 13th, 2005, 5:30 am

April 4th, 2018, 10:15 am #10

Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 7th, 2008, 5:54 pm

April 4th, 2018, 3:57 pm #11

As far as getting a new Social Security card, the SS office in Salem is a user friendly and fairly pleasant place to visit as these things go. They have been easy to deal with on SS matters on my two or three visits in the last year.
Quote
Like
Share

t
Joined: August 11th, 2007, 12:04 am

April 4th, 2018, 4:47 pm #12

DM3194 wrote: As far as getting a new Social Security card, the SS office in Salem is a user friendly and fairly pleasant place to visit as these things go. They have been easy to deal with on SS matters on my two or three visits in the last year.
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... 1_0318.pdf

A W2 among other things can sub for a social security card

One of the biggest parts of the delay is that they are training the workers live. I made sure to give the software guy a good natured dig when he helped the clerk
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 5th, 2005, 5:55 pm

April 4th, 2018, 9:31 pm #13

Thank Goodness Registrar Devaney didn't waste any time getting another RMV office open on the North Shore after the Danvers office at Liberty Tree closed.

Oops.....nevermind. 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 3rd, 2006, 8:10 pm

April 5th, 2018, 12:57 pm #14

The Registry here isn't a huge time-waster. About an hour wait, usually. Mainers pay just $12.50 for vehicle inspection. Now $35 in Massachusetts??
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." - Christopher Hitchens
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

April 17th, 2018, 8:46 pm #15

Nuf Ced wrote: Thank Goodness Registrar Devaney didn't waste any time getting another RMV office open on the North Shore after the Danvers office at Liberty Tree closed.

Oops.....nevermind.
Is there any update on an office coming to the north shore?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

April 17th, 2018, 8:51 pm #16

tyu12 wrote:
Nuf Ced wrote: Thank Goodness Registrar Devaney didn't waste any time getting another RMV office open on the North Shore after the Danvers office at Liberty Tree closed.

Oops.....nevermind.
Is there any update on an office coming to the north shore?
tyu...you will find the answer to that question on page 127 of the Housing Production Plan.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 13th, 2005, 5:30 am

April 17th, 2018, 8:54 pm #17

roflmfao ... :-))
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 20th, 2007, 11:54 pm

April 17th, 2018, 9:09 pm #18

brainfix wrote: The Registry here isn't a huge time-waster. About an hour wait, usually. Mainers pay just $12.50 for vehicle inspection. Now $35 in Massachusetts??
Slightly off topic.....
A couple weeks ago there were two farmers at the Beauport Hotel sitting at the bar, one from Texas and the other from Maine.
The Texas Farmer was bragging how big his farm was saying: "My farm is so big it takes 3 days to drive around it in my truck"!
The farmer from Maine replied: "A-yup I know what you mean, I had a truck like that too"!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

April 17th, 2018, 9:15 pm #19

brainfix wrote: The Registry here isn't a huge time-waster. About an hour wait, usually. Mainers pay just $12.50 for vehicle inspection. Now $35 in Massachusetts??
Yup. Is Maine cash only too?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

April 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm #20

Karly wrote:
tyu12 wrote:
Nuf Ced wrote: Thank Goodness Registrar Devaney didn't waste any time getting another RMV office open on the North Shore after the Danvers office at Liberty Tree closed.

Oops.....nevermind.
Is there any update on an office coming to the north shore?
tyu...you will find the answer to that question on page 127 of the Housing Production Plan.
I will just wait thanks
Quote
Like
Share