Storm Reports

March 3rd, 2018, 4:58 pm #61

March 3rd, 2018, 6:52 pm #62

Still no power in EG !

March 3rd, 2018, 8:47 pm #63

Nuf Ced wrote: Amazing pics Cathy!
Thanks!  I was at Hammond Castle and was really well out of harm's way but it got pretty weird feeling.  The roar over there was indescribable and looking through my lens made it seem too close and I was having flashbacks to scenes from "The Perfect Storm" movie.  I could never have captured in a photo what the sea (not just waves crashing on rocks) really looked like from that view.  Add the sound to that and I started to hyperventilate a little, lol.  I got to my car and thought, "Man, I really am getting old."

March 3rd, 2018, 8:51 pm #64

Dun Fudgin wrote: Still no power in EG !
Yikes, Dun.  I think Cape Ann fared comparatively well on the power outage thing, but I just looked at the outage map and there are a dozen or so scattered, small-scale outages in Gloucester and Rockport - a couple in your area.

March 4th, 2018, 7:51 am #65

Anyone still having a Verizon problem?
Mine is still out.

March 4th, 2018, 10:22 am #66

Leland33 wrote: In E Glo. There’s a city lot behind the dentist near the laundromat.  Writers Center overflow parked there.  It now has jersey barriers reducing the parking lot size to over half:

Mr. President - climate change REAL.  Gloucester is being Jersey-ed!
Or  it just happened that a few storm surges were in sync with astronomical high tide.. 

March 4th, 2018, 11:19 am #67

This morning I glanced out toward Cohasset from the FH Lane house to check for the storm flag on the CG station. Immediately I saw a strange white line all across the view. On closer inspection it was surf still blasting over the breakwater. This was just after low tide this morning, Sunday.
PS - still a square red flag
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

March 4th, 2018, 11:23 am #68

stanb wrote:
Leland33 wrote: In E Glo. There’s a city lot behind the dentist near the laundromat.  Writers Center overflow parked there.  It now has jersey barriers reducing the parking lot size to over half:

Or  it just happened that a few storm surges were in sync with astronomical high tide.. 
Are you blind and deaf or just willingly dense?
Climate change is making storms more powerful and more frequent. Melting polar caps are rising sea levels and may eventually change the jet stream. Wake up!
Last edited by sugarmagnolia on March 4th, 2018, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

March 4th, 2018, 11:29 am #69

Still no power, I could see my breath in bed!

March 4th, 2018, 11:37 am #70

My attitude about those who still cannot understand that climate change is happening and that we must take any actions that are still available to us is that if they won't help then they should get out of the way and let the rest of us do what we can.

March 4th, 2018, 12:28 pm #71

RT-1 in Salisbury square was packed with at least a dozen of those orange tree service trucks and a bunch from National Grid when I drove by around 6.30 this morning.  The owner of the store I stopped at said the power had gone out in the area several times then back on, then back out .  He said parts of Hampton Beach and Rye lost power on Friday and some parts just had the power restored late yesterday.  

March 4th, 2018, 2:54 pm #72

sugarmagnolia wrote:
stanb wrote:

You mean it's not a Chinese hoax like trumpty dumpty said.
Climate change is making storms more powerful and more frequent.  Melting polar caps are rising sea levels and may eventually change the jet stream.  Wake up!

March 4th, 2018, 4:22 pm #73

This afternoon (Sunday) - still churning pretty good!

DSCF9632_wm.jpg

DSCF9637_wm.jpg

DSCF9659_wm.jpg

March 4th, 2018, 8:58 pm #74

So the Governor came to town and viewed storm "damage" at Cressy's and the Boulevard?

March 4th, 2018, 11:13 pm #75

sugarmagnolia wrote:
stanb wrote:

Climate change is making storms more powerful and more frequent.  Melting polar caps are rising sea levels and may eventually change the jet stream.  Wake up!
Either a Master Baiter - or (more likely) willfully dense given the tenor of his other posts.

March 5th, 2018, 3:41 am #76

Just two months apart the storms with what appears 100 year tides each - climate change seems even more believable - but is it naturally created or by humankind.

1712 Steam engine - might be a good start when the world population was 610,000,000.

2018 - we have all the comforts of living for maybe (guesssing) a third of the worlds people 7,632,819,325 and about the same third can be considered significantly effecting climate change or about 2500 million people.

So, calculate the following:

1. The effects of people causing climate change from the steam engine (1712) to the cumulative effect to-date (2500 million people).

2. The effects of nature causing climate change from 1712 to the cumulative effect to-date: include hurricane damage, lighting filter destruction, earthquake destruction:polution, cyclical changes to earth.

3. Is 1.> 2. OR is 2. > 1.?

QED

March 5th, 2018, 7:02 am #77

“The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.”
NASA
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

March 5th, 2018, 8:01 am #78

Cathy (Admin) wrote:
Nuf Ced wrote: Amazing pics Cathy!
Thanks!  I was at Hammond Castle and was really well out of harm's way but it got pretty weird feeling.  The roar over there was indescribable and looking through my lens made it seem too close and I was having flashbacks to scenes from "The Perfect Storm" movie.  I could never have captured in a photo what the sea (not just waves crashing on rocks) really looked like from that view.  Add the sound to that and I started to hyperventilate a little, lol.  I got to my car and thought, "Man, I really am getting old."
I know what you mean, Cathy!  I went with a friend into Magnolia yesterday to check out the 52 Shore Road sea wall, and coming around that corner at the very end was pretty scary/breathtaking.  With the water still splashing up over the wall, I felt like my car was going to get sucked into the ocean.  Even thinking about it makes my heart race a bit.  Great photos!

March 5th, 2018, 11:21 am #79

sugarmagnolia wrote: “The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.”
NASA
Again, I’m still an “on the fence” believer about the cause of climate change.

To me it’s simple, climate change seems to exist and it’s time to plan action.

However I DO THINK the chart has a couple problems.

1. The chart start at 160ppm on the left - why not start it at 0ppm? Change the scale?

2. The 1950 spike misrepresents the actual data - the thickness of the yellow line is at least 1000 years based on the 400,000 year base.

3. I would like to see a much smaller CO2 range from say 1712 to 2018. Techically data levels could have dropped below 300ppm especially since the founding of the EPA in 1970.
7F71A35E-E53A-4EDA-AE3C-640A9F365695.jpeg

March 5th, 2018, 12:11 pm #80

Leland33 wrote:
sugarmagnolia wrote: “The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.”
NASA
Again, I’m still an “on the fence” believer about the cause of climate change.

To me it’s simple, climate change seems to exist and it’s time to plan action.

However I DO THINK the chart has a couple problems.  

1. The chart start at 160ppm on the left - why not start it at 0ppm?   Change the scale?

2. The 1950 spike misrepresents the actual data - the thickness of the yellow line is at least 1000 years based on the 400,000 year base.

3. I would like to see a much smaller CO2 range from say 1712 to 2018.  Techically data levels could have dropped below 300ppm especially since the founding of the EPA in 1970.
"This graph, based on the comparison of atmospheric samples contained in ice cores and more recent direct measurements, provides evidence that atmospheric CO2 has increased since the Industrial Revolution. (Credit: Vostok ice core data/J.R. Petit et al.; NOAA Mauna Loa CO2 record.)"

So
1. Evidently the ice cores showed at least 160ppm.
2. The chart has to be readable.
3. The ice cores are also recording the CO2 levels before (well, well before) and after 1970 as well as direct measurements.

The rest of the web page has other compelling arguments as well.