Markouk Breads, Trios (was Italianos) Sherry’s Corner Café, Pastaio (123 Main), Kabab (PFC) Mom's Kitchen, P23K, Tonno

Markouk Breads, Trios (was Italianos) Sherry’s Corner Café, Pastaio (123 Main), Kabab (PFC) Mom's Kitchen, P23K, Tonno

June 13th, 2016, 1:02 am #1

In the mid 80s i spent a lot of time at Christo's Coffee Cup in Manchester.  Breakfasts were excellent, pizza very good and a wide menu selection and not just burgers.

BUT CHRISTO'S CLOSED RECENTLY.

==========================

In its place is "SUPERFINE". opening TBD

It will feature Matt Gaudet’s ribs, burgers, composed salads and roasted vegetables, plus a daily barbecue special (brisket, pulled pork, maybe West Bridge’s (Gaudet's former Kendall Square eatery) smoked lamb neck and swordfish collar) and pizza, with slow-fermented dough made from the Cambridge restaurant’s starter.

25 Union St next to Manchester's Bookstore.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restauran ... y-the-sea/
Last edited by Leland33 on June 2nd, 2018, 9:30 am, edited 21 times in total.

June 13th, 2016, 11:41 am #2

sounds good as long as they have reasonable prices.

June 13th, 2016, 12:07 pm #3

tyu12 wrote:
It is a big deal chef making interesting food with high quality ingredients and style.  Not sure your view on "reasonable" but since you had said in the past that Five Guys was "very expensive" I have a feeling you won't be thrilled with the menu/prices...

June 13th, 2016, 12:43 pm #4

Sounds really good!

June 13th, 2016, 1:13 pm #5

Chef Matt's previous restaurant was "West Bridge" in Kendall Sq. Cambridge. Although the menu featured below in a Zagats Review features extensive liquor choices "Superfine" has downsized the liquor drink offerings. Price wise "West Bridge", per Zagats, is reasonable prices - starting at $12. Chef Matt owned West Bridge for 3 1/2 years. They have a young daughter and her grandparent(s) live nearby on the North Shore and was the primary reason they gave up West Branch.

BTW - opened since the 1960s, Christo's Coffee Cup became Christina's Coffee Cup.

https://www.zagat.com/r/west-bridge-res ... ridge/menu

June 14th, 2016, 6:57 am #6

Sigurdr wrote:
tyu12 wrote:
It is a big deal chef making interesting food with high quality ingredients and style.  Not sure your view on "reasonable" but since you had said in the past that Five Guys was "very expensive" I have a feeling you won't be thrilled with the menu/prices...
yes I thought five guys was expensive and also the couple of times I tried it the burger was cooked well done.  As for the new place in Manchester after looking at the menu I don't think I will be going there but with the money in Manchester it might make it. I could never afford it do i just won't go but I wish them well and hope they can make it

August 14th, 2016, 2:10 pm #7

Chef Matt - is very close. Interesting counter seating much more than Cristos had - and nice touch to keep the Cristo booth seating. Wonder if the restrooms are still downstairs? I've been keeping an eye on Twitter, FB and he's got a bunch on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/superfinefood/

August 14th, 2016, 5:32 pm #8

Had not been to Christo's in years. Went back to try it out. The woman and the counter was loud and constantly yelling at the guy in the back (owner?) and talking about him. I didn't go back.

August 14th, 2016, 6:39 pm #9

It was more recently called Christina's. Or maybe "Loud Christina's". Only went to Cristos. It was like a small Greek Diner and the owner worked hard all day.

August 14th, 2016, 7:13 pm #10

Ah, ok. I may have gone under the Loud Christina regime. Definitely went when it was Christos wayyyyy before that. Fond memories.

August 14th, 2016, 7:40 pm #11

I always liked Christo's, especially for it's slice 'o Manchester life in a small and tight spot. Kind of a fishbowl feel, but always friendly or gently kidding around. This new incarnation and food vision is most welcome! Yet another reason to pop down for a visit.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." - Christopher Hitchens

August 14th, 2016, 8:28 pm #12

Yeah and "Studio Crepes" recently opened on Railroad Ave in Rockport. Interior is nice and crispy oak finish a pleasant surprise of the crunchy granola look that was talked by CAO folks. Haven't tried.

But for me the big find of the month was Cumbie Farms has upscaled to a dark roast iced coffee (hot too?) FOR A BUCK - ANY SIZE. They nixed the ice tea though. Just a super deal... think of it as "Cumbie Bucks"

September 1st, 2016, 7:14 pm #13

Superfine Manchester opened its doors yesterday 8/31 at 3PM according to FB. [UPDATE: their hours are 4PM to 10PM and lunch in the future]

I haven't seen a menu posted but on my way past at 7PM there was a good crowd.
Last edited by Leland33 on September 2nd, 2016, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 2nd, 2016, 9:54 am #14

Leland33 wrote:
Yeah and "Studio Crepes" recently opened on Railroad Ave in Rockport. Interior is nice and crispy oak finish a pleasant surprise of the crunchy granola look that was talked by CAO folks. Haven't tried.
People should def. try Studio Crepes. It's a pretty good place and the food is good (...but they do need to keep their red wines in a wine cooler; room temperature, especially at this time of year, is not the way to serve red wine).

September 2nd, 2016, 11:30 am #15

Yeah - The crepes ARE worth trying at Studio Crepes. I recently reviewed the "Turkey Club" on the "What's for dinner" thread. Crepes take a while to eat using a fork and knife and they are filling - in contrast to the American way of wolfing down a sandwich or a belly buster sub.

Studio Crepes is planning to do breakfast. They served a large glass of ice water and Rockport has very good water.

September 2nd, 2016, 1:17 pm #16

Is Manchester the town on the way to Marblehead?
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

September 2nd, 2016, 2:19 pm #17

I thought Marblehead is reached only by sea. There might be a float plane service somewhere too.

====================

B/I speaking of wine a shout out to EWX on the Causeway in Essex. I bought a bottle of wine as a gift and they wrapped it in burgundy tissue paper and place it in a trendy EWX brown bag. He offered two choices $18 and $12. Large selection.

The Essex Wine Exchange is next door to the Fortune Palace which has lunchtime bento boxes ($9). EWX opened five months ago.

September 2nd, 2016, 9:01 pm #18

battlingignorance wrote:
Leland33 wrote:
People should def. try Studio Crepes. It's a pretty good place and the food is good (...but they do need to keep their red wines in a wine cooler; room temperature, especially at this time of year, is not the way to serve red wine).
Have not gone to Superfine yet BUT did try Studio Crepe tonight. So good! There were 4 of us and we tried the Turkey Club, the Hail Caesar, the Crepe Ann, and the California. Each comes with a little spinach / arugula salad on the plate and all are $9. The crepes are tender and the fillings delicious.We wanted to split a dessert crepe but the other couple were party poopers...the sweet crepes sound yummy, though. Next time!

September 2nd, 2016, 10:10 pm #19

In searching for the "Boathouse Grille" which is "COMIMG SOON" as their banner says I discovered the "Riversbend" at the Essex Marina. The Riversbend is in a huge building and overlooks the bend in the Essex River. The chef has credentials. James Beard award, LesEsquie (sp), BUT MENU IS PRICEY. $32 lobster (g house $15 on schooner fest lobsta bake).

The place opened 5 weeks ago and it looked very busy. I was in the mood for a burger so I followed the side entry road and the lot was full. One car had a Trump bumper sticker so I thought the burger can wait. Neighbors of the access road aren't happy. I was doing 18/20 and a women was waving me down but when you hit the dirt road there are a zillion 10MPH signs. IMHO they should take out the 20MPH signs and move a half zillion 10MPH signs in their place.
Last edited by Leland33 on September 2nd, 2016, 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

September 2nd, 2016, 10:30 pm #20

The Boathouse Grill is where Lewis's was and features a small pumpkin colored sailing skiff suspended about ten feet in mid air - right by the door - Okay, 5 stars automatically.

The COMING SOON sign went up today.

I have enjoyed the Blue Marlin which is the owners other restaurant. It has excellent food and priced for everyone. I don't remember specials.

Lewis's had great before 6PM specials, excellent food and fast service with my friendly staff.