Markouk Breads, Trios (was Italianos) Sherry’s Corner Café, Pastaio (123 Main), Kabab (PFC) Mom's Kitchen, P23K, Tonno

February 1st, 2018, 11:21 pm #321

Pastaio website

http://www.pastaioviacorta.com

==========================

Sherry’s Corner Café FB

https://m.facebook.com/pg/sherryscorner ... l&mt_nav=1

GRAND OPENING
FEB 2nd 6AM
2 Lexington Ave.
Magnolia

February 4th, 2018, 10:56 am #322

I used Pastaio anglehair pasta $8/# for a dish of chicken piccata and I think it deserved Irish butter (Kerrygold brand).

A quarter pound of pasta was enough for a serving (with an antipasto of cherry tomato, onion, Basel and mozzarella).

As I melted the Irish butter my nose said this is gonna be good and with a delicious taste test with a forkful of pasta - was good enough to eat as is.

The next day I used the extra angel hair with the can of crushed plum tomatoes $6. I have enough red sauce for making chili later in the week.

The Pastaio Shop is on Center Street and I found nearby parking.  The selection has a wide choice of pasta selections.  In addition: olive oil, cheeses, olives, drinks ... more... as local as can be.

My next trip to the Appleton Farms for a walk will include the farm store and inquire about their butter.

In the meantime Pastaio opens at 11AM today and has accommodating hours.  Danielle is the proprietor.  She and her coworker were very helpful - the shop fits in very nicely.

February 5th, 2018, 9:17 am #323

I had a light breakfast at Sherry’s Corner Café this AM.  Nice breakfast menu and lunch starts at 10:30AM - hours are on FB above.

There is counter seating, booths, tables and ONE table that squeezes in eight people.

Sherry plans to have ICE CREAM in spring/summer.  She has a good size crew on.  But fewer than dory fishing ... or Damon’s crew.

Under $6 for juice and a short stack!

Looks like a florist shop BUT just congratulations from people.  Me as well.
F79B8535-CCF5-4E3E-B0AB-4CA1CF44562C.jpeg

February 14th, 2018, 11:21 am #324

UPDATES: Jasmin Garden reopens 4/1/18, ANY word about Paprika Grill??? Speaking of Paprika, the fried chicken at Papi’s has a lot of Paptika.  I think the owner is middle eastern.  Although the PFC is moist some cole slaw or a salad would be nice with it. I like PFC.

=======================

Since I was nearby Seabrook’s Walmart/Auto for a tire rotation - I had breakfast at the Hampton Airfield Cafe.  I ate a “Jumbo Jet”.  This is the equivalent of a breakfast hungry pilot’s fisherman’s platter.  

The ususual single engine airplanes were out front on tie downs.  Pilots like this breakfast spot.  I watched a couple of them take-off and leave and it’s fun googling their tail number.  Tail numbers usually can locate the owner and also any FAA reports.

The little museum got moved over by the hangars.  The museum is about 20 years old and the silver aged wood of the hangars are about 70.  The museum was moved to make way for the new Cafe building.  The new cafe will also have displaced the pit in where the annual pig roast takes place.

The Cafe is so popular that even though they close at 2PM BUT if you’re in line outside before 2PM you will still get a table.  In season the tables outside are pleasant and if you bring your lunch there are picnic tables too.  There’s also a food tent for the airfield’s special events.

I have a pit in my stomach for aviation which is why I ate a Jumbo Jet: including baked beans, Ana Adams bread with butter, a small ice cream scoop of butter on thickTexas/French toast with syrup,, two large sausage patties, two “jumbo” eggs over hard and a small cran/orange $12.  I’d rate this meal as going first class.

The newly located  little museum hangar:
818AFAF5-B41E-42B6-A0B8-2EA14CF66D80.jpeg

February 15th, 2018, 12:26 pm #325

went to sherrys corner café this morning with friends (5) we all had a very delicious breakfast. we will return. very nice inside and the staff was great good luck

February 15th, 2018, 12:58 pm #326

Not sure when Paprika grill is opening, but its moving to the former barber shop (RIP Joel) next to K9 Kuts on Center St.
Last edited by gator on February 15th, 2018, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 15th, 2018, 4:25 pm #327

Thanks gator. I guess we can expect Paprika Grill in March.

Thank you also for the heads up about Pastaio a few weeks again.

February 21st, 2018, 3:05 am #328

The second visit to Italiano was on a special night (MTW - call) and on this particular Tuesday they had choice of pasta with either chicken parm, veal parm, or eggplant parm.

$9.99

My veal parm on angel hair was very good.  The thin slices of veal were dredged through fine bread crumbs - it had the Manny touch very tasty and tender.

The sauce was chunky and rich over proper angel hair albeit Pastaio spoiled me! I chose to have the bread and butter because it’s just right as was a glass of Chianti

I’d give the main dish an 88 - the veal was perfect.  But the waiter’s attention to timing and waiting to see if and when he was to come to the table a 100.

As far as ambience, the music was Sinatra with a mix of light singers in italian (audio was tops). But this time I sat near the front where the wide windows look out on our wonderful West End. 90

Combined 88 100 90 = 93

DIN-EMA:
I left 20 minutes, more than enough, for my first trip to the CAC&S Magic Lantern Screening Room for the “Live Action Shorts” academy nominees. But YIKES it was ALMOST sold out. Here’s the opening (total Chianti buzz kill) to DeKalb Elementary - trailer to one of five movie shorts. (Remember when movies sometimes included a short?)

March 3rd, 2018, 8:55 pm #329

Off Cape Ann but not far and something different.  We went for the first time to Fusion Andina in Beverly.  It is Bolivian-Peruvian fusion and it was delicious with lots of flexibility in spices and ingredients in the dishes.   Very moderate prices.  I really loved how unrushed it was despite being busy...though all the food arrived at the right time.  Will definitely go again.

https://www.fusionandinarestaurant.com/

March 4th, 2018, 8:21 am #330

Leland33 wrote: The second visit to Italiano was on a special night (MTW - call) and on this particular Tuesday they had choice of pasta with either chicken parm, veal parm, or eggplant parm.

$9.99

My veal parm on angel hair was very good.  The thin slices of veal were dredged through fine bread crumbs - it had the Manny touch very tasty and tender.

The sauce was chunky and rich over proper angel hair albeit Pastaio spoiled me! I chose to have the bread and butter because it’s just right as was a glass of Chianti

I’d give the main dish an 88 - the veal was perfect.  But the waiter’s attention to timing and waiting to see if and when he was to come to the table a 100.

As far as ambience, the music was Sinatra with a mix of light singers in italian (audio was tops). But this time I sat near the front where the wide windows look out on our wonderful West End.  90

Combined 88 100 90 = 93

DIN-EMA:
I left 20 minutes, more than enough, for my first trip to the CAC&S Magic Lantern Screening Room for the “Live Action Shorts” academy nominees.  But YIKES it was ALMOST sold out. Here’s the opening (total Chianti buzz kill) to DeKalb Elementary - trailer to one of five movie shorts.  (Remember when movies sometimes included a short?)

How can you eat veal, when the meat comes from a tortured calf raised in a box! SHAME ON YOU😢

March 4th, 2018, 10:08 am #331

Karly wrote: Off Cape Ann but not far and something different.  We went for the first time to Fusion Andina in Beverly.  It is Bolivian-Peruvian fusion and it was delicious with lots of flexibility in spices and ingredients in the dishes.   Very moderate prices.  I really loved how unrushed it was despite being busy...though all the food arrived at the right time.  Will definitely go again.

Been there a few times and it's a bit hit-or-miss, but when it's good it's very good. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 4th, 2018, 7:11 pm #332

Gloman - you caught me. I rarely had veal as a kid but really liked it, and again, rarely had it as I got older. The CBS/60 Minutes Report did effect me and I boycotted veal - but I read that veal was back as a humane food.

At Destinos’ Sub Shop I have a veal parm sub two or three times a year - this was as a result of the boycott ending.

The veal at Italiano was very flavorful characteristic of the new humane veal as described below in the NYT. Restaurant kitchens have the advantage over household kitchens for the better choice meats.,

========================

From the New York Times:

“Those changes on the farm have led to corollary changes in the kitchen — a culinary serendipity that is just beginning to be recognized. Veal from calves fed sufficient grass or grain as well as milk has real character and flavor. For anyone who knows only the bland old-fashioned veal, it is as if a brand-new ingredient has been discovered. Tasting this new veal is not unlike biting into your first heirloom tomato from the garden after a lifetime of eating supermarket tomatoes bred for durability.

Continues

Chefs who once refused to serve formula-fed veal because of its blandness are now delighted to have the newer version.”

Read on at this NYT link

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/d ... oogle.com/

========================

Now chicken IS ANOTHER STORY OF ABUSE AS REPORTED IN THE NYT; it’s like living in a 600SF Condo with 100 roommates.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/o ... oogle.com/

===========================

As far as me going Veggie again, maybe.

I think Paprika Grille made perfect falafel. You can probably get a free sample. After trials oil type and temp it is now perfect. The new Cafè Bishco has very good falafel too.

I’ve had vegetarian killer meatloaf and years ago I was fooled by a tasty spaghetti and meatballs with heavily coated (firm) tofu that sure seemed like meatballs. Also tons of meatless savory soups.

============================

I cook simply - a meat and one large serving of vegetables. Last week I went back on MyFitnessPal.com and I’ll probably eat less meat. If I have junk food it will hopefully be the best.

I have a deep fryer for falafel - I should take it out of storage. Certain oils can be used over again. I bet someone knows.

=========================

IT’S NICE TO SEE BRAINFIX OUT AND ABOUT AGAIN !!! Hopefully you’ll get to try Paprika Grill (TBD), Mom’s Kitchen, Pastaio (fresh pasta and more), the new Cafe Bishco, Italiano, Papi’s fried chicken (Mediterranean), Cafe Lupito (best mex), Pier 23 Kitchen AND THAT IS JUST IN GLOUCESTER:

March 4th, 2018, 8:37 pm #333

Leland33 wrote: Gloman - you caught me.  I rarely had veal as a kid but really liked it, and again, rarely had it as I got older.  The CBS/60 Minutes Report did effect me and I boycotted veal - but I read that veal was back as a humane food.  

At Destinos’ Sub Shop I have a veal parm sub two or three times a year - this was as a result of the boycott ending.

The veal at Italiano was very flavorful characteristic of the new humane veal as described below in the NYT.  Restaurant kitchens have the advantage over household kitchens for the better choice meats.,

========================

From the New York Times:

“Those changes on the farm have led to corollary changes in the kitchen — a culinary serendipity that is just beginning to be recognized. Veal from calves fed sufficient grass or grain as well as milk has real character and flavor. For anyone who knows only the bland old-fashioned veal, it is as if a brand-new ingredient has been discovered. Tasting this new veal is not unlike biting into your first heirloom tomato from the garden after a lifetime of eating supermarket tomatoes bred for durability.

Continues

Chefs who once refused to serve formula-fed veal because of its blandness are now delighted to have the newer version.”

Read on at this NYT link

========================

Now chicken IS ANOTHER STORY OF ABUSE AS REPORTED IN THE NYT;  it’s like living in a 600SF Condo with 100 roommates.

I think Paprika Grille made perfect falafel.  You can probably get a free sample.  After trials oil type and temp it is now perfect.  The new Cafè Bishco has very good falafel too.

I’ve had vegetarian killer meatloaf and years ago I was fooled by a tasty spaghetti and meatballs with heavily coated (firm) tofu that sure seemed like meatballs.  Also tons of meatless savory soups.

I cook simply - a meat and one large serving of vegetables.  Last week I went back on MyFitnessPal.com and I’ll probably eat less meat.  If I have junk food it will hopefully be the best.

I have a deep fryer for falafel - I should take it out of storage.  Certain oils can be used over again.  I bet someone knows.

IT’S NICE TO SEE BRAINFIX OUT AND ABOUT AGAIN !!!   Hopefully you’ll get to try Paprika Grill (TBD), Mom’s Kitchen, Pastaio (fresh pasta and more), the new Cafe Bishco, Italiano, Papi’s fried chicken (Mediterranean), Cafe Lupito (best mex), Pier 23 Kitchen AND THAT IS JUST IN GLOUCESTER:
Killing innocent animals to satisfy a craving is abhorrent to me.
Each to there own.
Not all resturants serve humanely raised veal. YOU HAVE TO ASK!
It's like farm raiser shrimp vs wild caught, you have to ask.
Did you?

March 5th, 2018, 12:00 am #334

Gloman - I WILL ask next time.. even though I’m of limited means and $9.99 was unbeatable. [At Destino’s there’s a wide choice of subs I’d have instead w/Salad Bar at happy hour $7,35 (early bird soup, chili, chowder free)]

Here’s some help for those interested in ordering chicken parm. (2 minutes -stupid//funny)

At Appleton Farms I’ve learned a little about cows.  To see the calves as they are born - free range - they jump straight up incredible heights. Caving peaks appropriately around Mother’s Day.  I don’t know why I haven’t gone Vegg yet:

Baby back ribs is from  9 - 18 month animal as are associated cuts.  Hamburger about three years of age. Cows live up to 30 years.

PS - I heard local (wild) shrimp will be back soon - hopefully the price won’t be crazy low:

March 5th, 2018, 12:46 pm #335

gloman wrote:
Leland33 wrote: Gloman - you caught me.  I rarely had veal as a kid but really liked it, and again, rarely had it as I got older.  The CBS/60 Minutes Report did effect me and I boycotted veal - but I read that veal was back as a humane food.  

The veal at Italiano was very flavorful characteristic of the new humane veal as described below in the NYT.  Restaurant kitchens have the advantage over household kitchens for the better choice meats.,

========================

From the New York Times:

Continues

Read on at this NYT link

========================

Now chicken IS ANOTHER STORY OF ABUSE AS REPORTED IN THE NYT;  it’s like living in a 600SF Condo with 100 roommates.

I think Paprika Grille made perfect falafel.  You can probably get a free sample.  After trials oil type and temp it is now perfect.  The new Cafè Bishco has very good falafel too.

I’ve had vegetarian killer meatloaf and years ago I was fooled by a tasty spaghetti and meatballs with heavily coated (firm) tofu that sure seemed like meatballs.  Also tons of meatless savory soups.

I cook simply - a meat and one large serving of vegetables.  Last week I went back on MyFitnessPal.com and I’ll probably eat less meat.  If I have junk food it will hopefully be the best.

I have a deep fryer for falafel - I should take it out of storage.  Certain oils can be used over again.  I bet someone knows.

IT’S NICE TO SEE BRAINFIX OUT AND ABOUT AGAIN !!!   Hopefully you’ll get to try Paprika Grill (TBD), Mom’s Kitchen, Pastaio (fresh pasta and more), the new Cafe Bishco, Italiano, Papi’s fried chicken (Mediterranean), Cafe Lupito (best mex), Pier 23 Kitchen AND THAT IS JUST IN GLOUCESTER:
Killing innocent animals to satisfy a craving is abhorrent to me.
Each to there own.
Not all resturants serve humanely raised veal.  YOU HAVE TO ASK!
It's like farm raiser shrimp vs wild caught, you have to ask.
Did you?
Pretty much anything factory farmed is cruel. Tendercrop Farm's Butchery in Newbury is a good place to buy antibiotic/hormone free meat that they raise themselves.

March 16th, 2018, 8:06 pm #336

The “Fish Shack” which has been in Dock Square for eons - I had my favorite crab cakes and beans fairly recently in a post but haven’t been since now called “Roy Moore’s Fish Shack”. I was amused by Roy. Moore and his lobster business on Bearskin Neck in the early 1980’s - especially the way he talked to tourists.

According to their FB the restaurant will reopen when renovations are done 4/1/18. Meanwhile the front bar is open with pub food.

Anyone been to Roy Moore’s lately?

Also - anyone have any old Roy Moore story’s.

March 16th, 2018, 8:15 pm #337

He's a good guy. A long time ago, some kids came in for a few stuffed clams and he gave them the local price (half off). Even though that's just a few quarters, I thought it was a kind gesture.

March 16th, 2018, 8:32 pm #338

As a kid, I summered in Rockport at a truly rustic camp with mountains of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

Saturday was knuckles day.  Pounds of knuckles from Roy Moore's that my grandmother cooked and we kids, the unpaid help, sat at the kitchen table and pulled meat from knuckles until our fingers were raw, lol.

March 19th, 2018, 8:22 am #339

Karly wrote: Off Cape Ann but not far and something different.  We went for the first time to Fusion Andina in Beverly.  It is Bolivian-Peruvian fusion and it was delicious with lots of flexibility in spices and ingredients in the dishes.   Very moderate prices.  I really loved how unrushed it was despite being busy...though all the food arrived at the right time.  Will definitely go again.

I have been to Fusion Andina in Beverly on Cabot St. several times. I enjoy this restaurant as well.
Enjoy Every Sandwich
Warren Zevon

March 20th, 2018, 7:41 pm #340

My third trip to Italiano was to have the MTW $9.99 special for Monday it was spaghetti and meatballs or what I had pasta Milanese.  All was excellent including French bread and a fine dipping sauce:

The milanaise had various ground meats chunks of carrot and onion in a light red sauce.

===============

BTW - Farnums opened two weeks ago.