On the Agenda: City Council, Tues.,Nov. 14 - Public Hearings/Votes on Plastic Bag Ban, Tax Classification & Sky Lanterns

On the Agenda: City Council, Tues.,Nov. 14 - Public Hearings/Votes on Plastic Bag Ban, Tax Classification & Sky Lanterns

Cathy (Admin)
Joined: 13 Aug 2005, 09:30

10 Nov 2017, 22:08 #1

Banning plastic bags - setting the tax rate - prohibiting sky lanterns with an open flame.

Full Agenda & Packet:

http://gloucester-ma.gov/ArchiveCenter/ ... /Item/8123

There is also a Council Order, submitted by Melissa Cox which will be referred to the Planning Board and P&D, proposing to eliminate the cash contribution/payment in lieu option from the Inclusionary Housing Ordinance.
Reply

drinkycrow
Joined: 10 May 2007, 13:48

11 Nov 2017, 02:06 #2

Please!  Not the sky lanterns!!!
Reply

OneCommentOnly
Joined: 30 Oct 2017, 17:29

11 Nov 2017, 13:11 #3

City officials thought it was a great idea for the police chief to recruit opioid addicts from far and wide to come to the station to turn in their drugs and sign up for the Angel program.  They gave no thought to its effect on the city or the ability of the GPD to serve the people of Gloucester.  I for one was not surprised when they ended this intake at the GPD because it was interfering with regular police business.  In contrast, while they championed this ill-advised recruitment of addicts, they cannot abide people with serious orthopedic problems making their own decisions as to how they carry their groceries.  They don't care that one bad lift can put them in a brace for the better part of a year.  Nooooo!  The bag-banners will push their ideology regardless of the real-world consequences.
Reply

Cathy (Admin)
Joined: 13 Aug 2005, 09:30

11 Nov 2017, 13:24 #4

They still do intake at the station.  The program grew, moved the HQ across the street, and PAARI now works with police departments, rehabs and insurance companies across the country.
Reply

battlingignorance
Joined: 01 Sep 2012, 12:06

11 Nov 2017, 13:34 #5

Ignore the 1000CommentsOnly troll, Cathy.
Last edited by battlingignorance on 11 Nov 2017, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reply

OneCommentOnly
Joined: 30 Oct 2017, 17:29

11 Nov 2017, 13:35 #6

Cathy (Admin) wrote: They still do intake at the station.  The program grew, moved the HQ across the street, and PAARI now works with police departments, rehabs and insurance companies across the country.
Thanks, Cathy.  You are correct that they do intake for Gloucester residents, but the estimated 80% who are not from this city go elsewhere for intake.  The hundreds of out-of-town addicts were too much of a burden.  Below is the Salem Evening News's story.  I also read about it in the Globe.  The city council should scrap this proposal and move toward biodegradable bags, even if they're not perfect.  There will be no gains from a ban from an ecological standpoint because people will have to buy plastic bags to replace the supermarket bags they are now using.


http://www.salemnews.com/news/lawyer-lo ... 3f95f.html

Excerpted from the article:
O’Reilly said one focus will be to move toward having Gloucester residents continue to seek help through the police station, but having addicts from outside the city seek help through PAARI, whose network includes 160 police departments around the country.

The Angel Program has steered more than 500 addicts from various communities through the Gloucester police station and then into recovery and treatment centers without their facing arrest.

“The city and its police department are fully committed to the Angel Program and carrying it forward,” O’Reilly said. “But the issue we’re trying to address is that as many as 80 percent of the people are non-Gloucester residents. We’re trying to ensure that the program will go forward, but that we can take some of the burden off the Gloucester Police Department.”
Reply

drinkycrow
Joined: 10 May 2007, 13:48

11 Nov 2017, 18:41 #7

battlingignorance wrote: Ignore the 1000CommentsOnly troll, Cathy.
Is it Ploss or Mandy O? Hard to tell.
Reply

OneCommentOnly
Joined: 30 Oct 2017, 17:29

12 Nov 2017, 10:54 #8

drinkycrow wrote:
battlingignorance wrote: Ignore the 1000CommentsOnly troll, Cathy.
Is it Ploss or Mandy O? Hard to tell.
I don't know who Ploss and Mando O are, drinkycow.  It's interesting that a few of you characterize me as a crazy troll for voicing my concerns simply because I don't parrot your viewpoints.  That says something about YOU, not ME. The lack of concern for the human element involved in this proposed ban is also interesting.
Reply

DM3194
Joined: 07 Feb 2008, 22:54

12 Nov 2017, 18:52 #9

OneCommentOnly wrote:
drinkycrow wrote:
battlingignorance wrote: Ignore the 1000CommentsOnly troll, Cathy.
Is it Ploss or Mandy O? Hard to tell.
I don't know who Ploss and Mando O are, drinkycow.  It's interesting that a few of you characterize me as a crazy troll for voicing my concerns simply because I don't parrot your viewpoints.  That says something about YOU, not ME. The lack of concern for the human element involved in this proposed ban is also interesting.
OneCommentOnly,
Ploss refers to Dianna Ploss. She is a well known Republican philosopher and activist on the North Shore. 
And a strong supporter of the President. She appeared briefly on this forum.
But Dianna -- like you -- was strongly opposed on this forum by a few, due to her various political positions.
I hope you are not driven off like she, OneCommentOnly! Stay with us.

And Mandy O, I am not sure who that is either.

..................................................
Image
WWRAD.....
At times like these, let's ask ourselves...
What Would Reverend Al Do?

The Reverend would hope and pray that we can
all co-exist under the big umbrella that is CAO !
Reply

OneCommentOnly
Joined: 30 Oct 2017, 17:29

12 Nov 2017, 20:56 #10

DM:  I appreciate your kind words towards me.  A Republican philosopher?  What on earth is that?  I am also a YUGE supporter of the president.  I support the REAL DONALD TRUMP, not this ugly caricature the bitter Hillary voters have been pushing for the past year.  Trump raised the rainbow flag on stage during a rally with gay Republicans, yet the losers call him homophobic.  Trump only wants to protect Americans from jihadists who have declared war on us, yet he is called anti-Muslim.  Who before Donald Trump had the GUTS to run on the two issues that Republicans and Democrats had declared only of concern to crazy people:  illegal immigration/the border and AMERICAN JOBS? 

I only wanted to post about this bag ban because it is indeed a health issue, but maybe at some point I'll find something else to post about.  The only reason I posted here is because it seems that city officials pushing this unnecessary ban might read my and my doctor's warnings.  This is way too long, but I had to get in my praise of President Trump, who has been grotesquely misrepresented by those who care not about American jobs.  Enough said.
Reply

DM3194
Joined: 07 Feb 2008, 22:54

15 Nov 2017, 09:32 #11

Good meeting last night!

Image

But not one person spoke in favor of flaming sky lanterns.
Kind of disappointing!
Reply

battlingignorance
Joined: 01 Sep 2012, 12:06

15 Nov 2017, 14:02 #12

OneCommentOnly wrote:
drinkycrow wrote:
battlingignorance wrote: Ignore the 1000CommentsOnly troll, Cathy.
Is it Ploss or Mandy O? Hard to tell.
I don't know who Ploss and Mando O are, drinkycow.  It's interesting that a few of you characterize me as a crazy troll for voicing my concerns simply because I don't parrot your viewpoints.  That says something about YOU, not ME. The lack of concern for the human element involved in this proposed ban is also interesting.
Concern for "the human element" - and the world we are too rapidly destroying - is precisely what is driving this ban (and the ban on styrofoam containers). To not understand that is to be unutterably selfish. And/or ignorant.

Mandy O, I can only imagine, refers to Amanda O. Kesterson; [A few weeks ago I deleted a similar type of remark and so I am deleting part of this post as well.  Different, maybe, but I don't get paid enough to spend a lot of time hearing arguments and making these high-level decisions.]

(Meanwhile, your understanding of who and what Donald Trump is, is either absurdly ignorant of the facts, or a joke....you little old humour-troll, you.)

Glad to help!
Reply

OneCommentOnly
Joined: 30 Oct 2017, 17:29

15 Nov 2017, 15:26 #13

Battling Ignorance:  I checked to see if there was anything substantive about what they said about the plastic bags last night and was greeted by your ridiculous little missive.  You seem to think that character assassination and ugly insults constitute an argument on an issue.  Further, you seem to think you are tres, tres intelligent.  If only you were as smart as you think you are and as smart as you are mean and ugly.  I suppose you've noticed that I generally ignore your asinine personal attacks.
Reply

William Taylor.e
Joined: 30 Mar 2007, 04:27

15 Nov 2017, 15:46 #14

DM3194 wrote: Good meeting last night!

Image

But not one person spoke in favor of flaming sky lanterns.
Kind of disappointing!
I have a bunch but I do not plan top use them unless it has just rained and there is no wind. I used to make them years ago from dry cleaner bags, coat hangers and paper towel soaked in lighter fluid and they always put themselves out as they fell....I have no interest in taking a chance of setting a fire so mine will most likely never be used....
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..
Reply

replicant
Joined: 05 Nov 2014, 14:22

15 Nov 2017, 17:20 #15

Image
Reply

battlingignorance
Joined: 01 Sep 2012, 12:06

15 Nov 2017, 18:04 #16

OneCommentOnly wrote: Battling Ignorance:  I checked to see if there was anything substantive about what they said about the plastic bags last night and was greeted by your ridiculous little missive.  You seem to think that character assassination and ugly insults constitute an argument on an issue.  Further, you seem to think you are tres, tres intelligent.  If only you were as smart as you think you are and as smart as you are mean and ugly.  I suppose you've noticed that I generally ignore your asinine personal attacks.
I am très, très intelligent (...as evidenced by my use of the accent grave.)  "ridiculous little missive"?! "mean and ugly"?! "asinine"?! Oh, the hurt!  (please -- I spent 25 years in the music industry; I've been insulted by professionals, you weakling.)

You may be butt-hurt by my tone concerning your slavish, blind obeisance to Con-Man Chump (aka President*) - but the substance of what I wrote was right on the money. Argue the facts - or deal with it.
Reply

OneCommentOnly
Joined: 30 Oct 2017, 17:29

15 Nov 2017, 18:16 #17

Ms./Mr. Ignorance:  Your post contains no facts.  It is a mixture of a sprinkling of your OPINIONS and a lot of insults against me and Ms. Kesterson.  I cannot help you if you think that post contains FACTS.  Your OPINION of President Trump and me DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FACTS.  Further, you should take out your slam at Ms. Kesterson and her companion.  If this was my board, you would get a warning not to do that, followed by banning if you continued.  Would you like someone to do that to you?  I'm going back to ignoring you.

By the way, I am fully aware that tres has an accent over the 'e'.  I took six years of French.  If you are going to be pedantic, you should watch your own grammar and punctuation.  It is incorrect and even bizarre at times. 
Reply

battlingignorance
Joined: 01 Sep 2012, 12:06

15 Nov 2017, 20:04 #18

OneCommentOnly wrote: Ms./Mr. Ignorance:  Your post contains no facts.  It is a mixture of a sprinkling of your OPINIONS and a lot of insults against me and Ms. Kesterson.  I cannot help you if you think that post contains FACTS.  Your OPINION of President Trump and me DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FACTS.  Further, you should take out your slam at Ms. Kesterson and her companion.  If this was my board, you would get a warning not to do that, followed by banning if you continued.  Would you like someone to do that to you?  I'm going back to ignoring you.

By the way, I am fully aware that tres has an accent over the 'e'.  I took six years of French.  If you are going to be pedantic, you should watch your own grammar and punctuation.  It is incorrect and even bizarre at times.
Mr./Ms. SnowflakeFishInBarrel:
Regarding "Concern for "the human element" - and the world we are too rapidly destroying - is precisely what is driving this ban (and the ban on styrofoam containers). - FACT
Regarding the AOK comment - FACT as reported in public by the harrassed party on FaceBook. (And just one, not "a lot of")
"Con-Man Chump"? - The President* is a con-man, he lies constantly in office, he lied to and cheated people throughout his career. Not opinion...FACT.
Everything you have written is an OPINION - so should we all ignore same, by your value metric?

By the way, if you "took six years of French", where did you leave it? Probably in a deep, dark hole along with any smidgen of a sense of humour you might once have had. And the ability to add an accent grave via your keyboard!

Thanks for all the fish.
Reply

OneCommentOnly
Joined: 30 Oct 2017, 17:29

15 Nov 2017, 20:31 #19

God, how tiresome this is, Battling Ignorance.  For the record, I mentioned that there were no facts in your post because you advised me that I must "deal with the facts" or something like that.  Sheesh!  Again, there were no facts, just your opinions and a whole lot of insults and abuse against me, President Trump, and three other local people who have nothing to do with this thread.  BTW, I have flagged that post because I don't believe you should put something like that about a prominent local person on this board.  It is an invasion of privacy and possibly false.  Would you please remove that reference that I've already asked you to remove?  If you won't, the moderator should.  I'm back to ignoring your insults.
Reply

battlingignorance
Joined: 01 Sep 2012, 12:06

15 Nov 2017, 20:51 #20

OneCommentOnly wrote: God, how tiresome this is, Battling Ignorance.  For the record, I mentioned that there were no facts in your post because you advised me that I must "deal with the facts" or something like that.  Sheesh!  Again, there were no facts, just your opinions and a whole lot of insults and abuse against me, President Trump, and three other local people who have nothing to do with this thread.  BTW, I have flagged that post because I don't believe you should put something like that about a prominent local person on this board.  It is an invasion of privacy and possibly false.  Would you please remove that reference that I've already asked you to remove?  If you won't, the moderator should.  I'm back to ignoring your insults.
This must be what you meant by "...going back to ignoring you", eh?! Oh Repetitive, SoEasilyTweaked 1000CommentsOnly!!


Listen up, Buttercup - I am simply repeating what is already public knowledge on another internet forum. Ergo - no "invasion of privacy". Capisce? And what did I present as facts do you claim are only opinions? And who is the third local person to whom you refer?

Both the plastic bag ban and the styrofoam container ban are, ultimately, a benefit to us all collectively. FACT.
Reply