March 14 - Good on Gloucester

March 9th, 2018, 7:46 pm #1

Reasonable consequence (writing a paper), sterner consequence for ignoring the initial consequence.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/loc ... 41f9c.html

March 9th, 2018, 11:14 pm #2

The superintendents of Rockport and Gloucester are completely wrong - yes there are state mandates but March 14th is supposed to be a student led walkout not a reason to punish. If there is any kind of consequences the STUDENTS should impose them.

Yes it’s adults vs. young adults BUT NOT FOR SEVENTEEN MINUTES - this time it’s PERSON TO PERSON - with this time the responsible youth taking the lead.

I had a hunch MERHS would do it right - student lead, alternate activity - include the middle school.

I’ve worked at all three high schools and as I said before the students are about the same, the schools were all older, but the superindents and their level of commitment was different.

Perhaps the superindents should spend time in all three high schools.

March 10th, 2018, 10:56 am #3

I second Leland.  Gloucester school administration should be allowing the student council and student body to lead this.  typically some of these walkouts students spend their time calling and tweeting elected officials for change.  they are not visiting the "canal club".  this is clearly a school issue  - school safety - not some random political issue.  imposing sanctions?  OMG how lame.  the sanction that has already been imposed is fear and lack of safety. I believe the public who is not following this on twitter will be blindsided by the revolution you will witness which will be launched by the youth of this country on March 24th - #MarchForOurLives.  there are marches scheduled in all 50 states and DC is expecting in excess of 500,000. this is international.  other countries are supporting.  #NeverAgainMSD 

March 10th, 2018, 11:03 am #4

A student-led initiative at Bishop Fenwick (Peabody) arrived at a compromise solution. (Don't ask me how I know....)

Instead of a walk-out, there will be an all-school assembly in the school auditorium, focusing on the students shot - 17 minutes silence.
Given the predominant political conservatism of the BF families, possibly resulting in a clash between those who leave class and those who won't (and the Principal's fear for student safety), it is a workable compromise.

March 10th, 2018, 11:56 am #5

The stated purpose of the walkout is a call to Congress to pass legislation to keep schools, streets and homes safe from gun violence, so yes, it is very much political.  It's a walkout, a protest, an act of peaceful civil disobedience to call attention to students' voices.  Acts of disobedience (like walking out of school) generally have consequences and I think Gloucester struck a fair balance with the consequence.

March 10th, 2018, 12:35 pm #6

ACLU is spot-on in this one. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 10th, 2018, 7:34 pm #7

clarification - yes, wholeheartedly, I recognize this is political action. It is critical to safe school environment and a relevant matter.  Students are not protesting just any cause.  This is personal for them.

March 10th, 2018, 9:19 pm #8

This whole walkout issue has pushed so many of my buttons.

If you are listening to the Parkland kids you are hearing that they don't want your thoughts and prayers, your 17 minutes of silence, your structured activites, your kumbaya moments.  They want their voices heard.

School administrators need to state a consequence for walking out and then just stand down.

Best quote of the day from the interwebs:

"Getting suspended for standing up to the most powerful lobby in the country (who makes money off your death) will make a great admissions essay for college. Don’t let them scare you silent."

March 10th, 2018, 11:20 pm #9

If you are for gun control walk out if not don't and don't let anyone bully you for not walking out

March 10th, 2018, 11:56 pm #10

tyu12 wrote: If you are for gun control walk out if not don't and don't let anyone bully you for not walking out
Aaaaw - poor likkle gun-lovers need protecting? Snowflakery abounds. (the irony is delicious) 😉

March 11th, 2018, 11:19 am #11

was hoping Gloucester would be organizing their own March For Our Lives event on March 24th.  Beverly and Ipswich have registered events.  any word if there will be a Gloucester event?

March 11th, 2018, 12:35 pm #12

Some of us are heading to Boston. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 11th, 2018, 7:09 pm #13

harbordog wrote: was hoping Gloucester would be organizing their own March For Our Lives event on March 24th.  Beverly and Ipswich have registered events.  any word if there will be a Gloucester event?
People were asking me that at the rotary on Saturday.  I don't know of any on Cape Ann but that doesn't mean there isn't one.  The Mayor expressed interest in having one but most people I know are going to Boston, DC or NYC.   Maybe check with the Mayor's office.  If there is something here, please report back because I will help spread the word.

March 11th, 2018, 9:13 pm #14

tyu12 wrote: If you are for gun control walk out if not don't and don't let anyone bully you for not walking out
There are some counter-protests planned, #armourteachers .  I don't agree with them, but respect their right to peacefully protest as well.

And I would fight with every fiber of my being to defend a student who chose not to participate in any protest.

March 11th, 2018, 9:21 pm #15

I have not seen any consequence from any school aimed at non-protesters.

March 11th, 2018, 9:43 pm #16

battlingignorance wrote:
Aaaaw - poor likkle gun-lovers need protecting? Snowflakery abounds. (the irony is delicious) 😉
they are protesting for gun control that is their right all I am saying is if you not for it, don't walk out no big deal BI just trying to stir the pot. some kids might feel pressure to walk out that is all I am saying

March 11th, 2018, 10:47 pm #17

tyu12 wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
they are protesting for gun control that is their right all I am saying is if you not for it, don't walk out no big deal BI just trying to stir the pot. some kids might feel pressure to walk out that is all I am saying
Did you read the Gillnetter story by the GHS student who was into guns eversince his Dad, a US Marine, gave him a gun an age four? His main point was that people own guns and don’t know gun safety - which I think is in away gun control. He might have had other issues with gun control, but I’m guessing he’ll go out for the “seventeen” and this time publish in the GDT and beyond.

March 12th, 2018, 7:54 am #18

tyu12 wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
You suggested that pro-gun kids might be bullied by the kids who are fed up with the NRA-driven gun-culture....and I'm the one stirring the pot?!  Pfft.

March 12th, 2018, 7:56 am #19

No doubt Amanda Kesterson will be out there advocating for arming teachers...which in her view is so much better for the kids than, say, breakfast.

March 12th, 2018, 12:44 pm #20

It is not just the guns. It is the movies and videos games that have too much gratuitous violence that makes us all inured to what is embedded in much of our culture and entertainment.
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..