March 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm #21

battlingignorance wrote:
tyu12 wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
tyu12 wrote: If you are for gun control walk out if not don't and don't let anyone bully you for not walking out
Aaaaw - poor likkle gun-lovers need protecting? Snowflakery abounds. (the irony is delicious) 😉
they are protesting for gun control that is their right all I am saying is if you not for it, don't walk out no big deal BI just trying to stir the pot. some kids might feel pressure to walk out that is all I am saying
You suggested that pro-gun kids might be bullied by the kids who are fed up with the NRA-driven gun-culture....and I'm the one stirring the pot?!  Pfft.
NRA members were not involved in any of the past shooting incidents as far as I know. If you know different let me know I have never heard of an NRA member being involved in these shootings with the exception of the church shooting where an NRA member stopped the shooter who was shooting people in the church

March 12th, 2018, 2:28 pm #22

William Taylor.e wrote: It is not just the guns. It is the movies and videos games that have too much gratuitous violence that makes us all inured to what is embedded in much of our culture and entertainment.
Other countries have violent movies and video games, in some cases, even worse, yet they don't have all these shootings. Not a single one. 

Try again. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 12th, 2018, 3:22 pm #23

tyu12 wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
tyu12 wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
tyu12 wrote: If you are for gun control walk out if not don't and don't let anyone bully you for not walking out
Aaaaw - poor likkle gun-lovers need protecting? Snowflakery abounds. (the irony is delicious) 😉
they are protesting for gun control that is their right all I am saying is if you not for it, don't walk out no big deal BI just trying to stir the pot. some kids might feel pressure to walk out that is all I am saying
You suggested that pro-gun kids might be bullied by the kids who are fed up with the NRA-driven gun-culture....and I'm the one stirring the pot?!  Pfft.
NRA members were not involved in any of the past shooting incidents as far as I know. If you know different let me know I have never heard of an NRA member being involved in these shootings with the exception of the church shooting where an NRA member stopped the shooter who was shooting people in the church
I have not heard anyone claim that NRA members were shooting children in schools. What I hear is that the NRA enables the shooters by insisting that automatic rifles and ammunition be available to the general civilian public including high school aged lunatics. To enforce their policies NRA officials pay politicians and lobby against their election if they do not support NRA policies.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

March 12th, 2018, 5:51 pm #24

This is the actual White House!
White House.jpg

March 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm #25

NRA rates the politicians from A to F based on their support.  The amount of money the NRA gives to those in Congress is obscene.  They need to grow a backbone and refuse the money.

March 12th, 2018, 7:37 pm #26

This has been my feeling from the start regarding parental involvement with Gloucester High School's March 14 student-led effort and I am glad it has been made clear.  In addition to the other ways of supporting students mentioned by Nancy below, I would add that we can advocate for gun safety legislation and oppose any that would make our kids less safe. There are some efforts on deck right now and I'll write about that tomorrow.

In Rockport any parents/others wishing to support the student-led effort there should not go to the high school but instead to the Old School House at 47 Mt. Pleasant St, in Rockport.

From Nancy Goodman as an FYI regarding the student Gun Safety walkout on Wednesday March 14...

"Hi All, In talking to James Cook, GHS Principal this afternoon, he made it very clear that members of the community will not be allowed to join students during Wednesday's protest. He and the police chief have gone to great lengths to ensure students' safety, and there is no way they can determine which community members are well-meaning and which may not be. Please help me spread the word that we community members need to find other ways to support students' efforts - e.g., letters to the editor, letter to the student newspaper, The Gillnetter, etc."

March 12th, 2018, 8:58 pm #27

I don't care if it is the NRA, a pharma group, an insurance group, a banking group, whatever.  I don't care if the beneficiaries are Republican or Democrat.  This is everything that is wrong with our government:

"Republican lawmakers in Georgia made good on a threat to eliminate a proposed tax break for Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines, after the carrier declined to reverse a decision to cut ties with the National Rifle Association."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... r-nra-feud

A government entity (the State of Georgia) offered a tax break to attract and/or keep a business in the state for the purpose of helping Georgia's economy (residents and workers).  Georgia lawmakers rescind the tax incentive offer because a powerful industry/political donor put pressure on lawmakers.  wtf

Good on Delta for doubling down.

March 12th, 2018, 11:58 pm #28

William Taylor.e wrote: It is not just the guns. It is the movies and videos games that have too much gratuitous violence that makes us all inured to what is embedded in much of our culture and entertainment.
Except the evidence doesn't support you on this William -- violent media, whether video games, movies, television, exist across the board in every western nation. In some, the consumption of it outpaces American use... yet those countries don't see the level of gun violence that we accept as normal. The biggest difference is the prevalence and ease of gun acquisition. There are countries that have high gun ownership, but strict regulation and they don't have the kind of gun violence we accept as normal. Other countries have people with mental health issues and yet don't have the level of gun violence we accept as normal. It IS the f-ing guns. Sane gun regulation won't stop every act of gun violence, but it sure as shit will help minimize them. The worldwide evidence is right there for us to see. 

March 13th, 2018, 8:35 am #29

William Taylor.e wrote:It is not just the guns. It is the movies and videos games that have too much gratuitous violence that makes us all inured to what is embedded in much of our culture and entertainment.
That is bollocks, William. More $ is spent per capita in (for example) Japan on video games than here in the US....and they have virtually no gratuitous violence/gun problems. (They are also the most atheistic nation - so that "lack of god" bullshit is just that: bullshit.)

Video games and movies are just as popular all across Western Europe, too. But they don't have the gun problems, either.

Seeing a pattern, perchance?!

March 13th, 2018, 8:47 am #30

tyu12 wrote: NRA members were not involved in any of the past shooting incidents as far as I know. If you know different let me know I have never heard of an NRA member being involved in these shootings with the exception of the church shooting where an NRA member stopped the shooter who was shooting people in the church
Good try at a deflection there, tyu!  See Damon's response above.

As for the Tennessee church shooting - the guy (Robert Engle) credited with helping stop the shooter doing more damage was not carrying in the church - he tackled the shooter, who pistol-whipped him and then managed to shoot himself! Engle has a concealed carry permit, but is not an NRA member.

Now - how about we get this back to being about our high school kids and what they want in the face of national politicians' cowardice and lust for NRA $?

March 13th, 2018, 11:30 am #31

What seems to be a hurculean effort to change what’s bad with guns could be geometric change where slowly by changing local ordinances town by town, city by city state by state.. with or without a change to the constitution.

That’s what happened to the Tobacco industry and greatly restricting the use of tobacco, particularly limits where you could and could not smoke and it’s effects on others.

If you asked someone in 1975 will smoking tobacco ever be restricted? - the general attitude was NO - people are too set in their ways and “no one is really being harmed” was a false claim.

By 1990 it all changed, almost unbelievably, the workplace, restaurants became free of tobacco smoke.

So today some states that practice gun control become EVENTUALLY all states - with background checks, minimum age to purchase 21, eliminate bump stocks, no guns that spray bullets sold to anyone under 30 years, background checks,  mandatory training to the use of any gun or rifle before you load it ... other changes.

Over the 30 years to-date the Tobacco Industry has faired okay,  I imagine the NRA will too.

So willl the NRA change or be left with the smoking gun.

March 13th, 2018, 1:42 pm #32

A few specific pieces of gun-related legislation you can take action on now...

1)  ERPOs (Extreme Risk Protection Orders)...also called gun violence restraining orders...enables courts to temporarily prohibit a person from having guns if law enforcement or immediate family members how that that person poses a significant danger to themself or others.  ERPO laws have been shown to reduce suicide rates by providing time for intervention.

http://act.everytown.org/letter/tell-MA ... -bill-now/

This is House Bill 3610 and it is currently in the Committee for Public Safety and Homeland Security.  We need to help get this bill to the floor.  We can write/call Representative Ferrante and Speaker DeLeo to help with this.  We can also contact the Mass Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence to see how to best push this forward.  The link below shows all the gun related legislation the Mass Coalition supports and opposes (roll down for the list and bill numbers)...

https://www.mapreventgunviolence.org/

2)  "Boyfriend loophole" - As noted above there is a connection between Domestic Violence and gun violence.   Federal laws which prohibit gun purchase/access by those convicted of domestic violence do not extend to partners who are in a dating relationship but do not live together or have a child together.  This loophole needs to be closed.   We can contact Representative Seth Moulton to advocate for this and push for state level legislation to close this loophole.

3)  Concealed Carry Reciprocity -  "The U.S. House has passed H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which would allow people who hold a concealed carry license to bring firearms across state lines, or possess them in other states regardless of state laws. The vote was 231-198."

This law, if passed, would allow people who acquired their guns in states with far less rigorous gun safety laws than Massachusetts to conceal carry their guns here because Mass does allow concealed carry.   This has been passed by the House and is now in the Senate.  We need to be sure it does not pass in the Senate!  

We can ask our Senators Markey and Warren to be leaders in their strong opposition to this and to thank them for it.  We can ask our friends and relatives in states that have Senators that need to be convinced to oppose this to contact their Senator.   Moms Demand Action has a phone bank type action that will connect you with people in those other states and you can ask them to contact their Senator.

March 14th, 2018, 10:47 am #33

March 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm #34

I wonder if they will let both sides be represented?

March 14th, 2018, 12:59 pm #35

tyu12 wrote: I wonder if they will let both sides be represented?
I did not know there was a "side" that wants school shootings to continue.

March 14th, 2018, 1:08 pm #36

Karly wrote:
BAM!

March 14th, 2018, 1:42 pm #37

Fortune Cookie wrote:
Other countries have violent movies and video games, in some cases, even worse, yet they don't have all these shootings. Not a single one. 

Try again. 
It's that damn loud rock music kids listen to these days!

March 14th, 2018, 1:45 pm #38

The NRA would be proud to have you represent! Go for it! 

March 14th, 2018, 3:19 pm #39

29186648_413377669087309_2745262629390909440_n.jpg

March 14th, 2018, 7:42 pm #40

Karly wrote:
no one wants school shootings to continue. by the other side, I mean the not anti-gun side.