March 2nd, 2018, 5:20 am #21

William Taylor.e wrote:

Even if fishing does come back I would like to see waterfront apartments/condos, etc., on the harbor. If done with low, working waterfront type of buildings, it would mean more downtown residents who would help keep Main Street business alive. Tourism is fine but it tends to mean junky tourist t-shirts and stuff like that taking over store fronts when we need real butcher, baker, candlestick makers...honest commerce business there.....and tourists are here only in good weather so half the year stores really struggle to pay the rent. If someone comes along and buy a building and usually spends some money fixing it up and has to pay a mortgage and taxes they have to get a fair rent to pay it all back and make some profit too. Survival is a very tough scenario. It was different in the day when property owners lived upstairs and had their shops downstairs.
You'll never see condos or any sizable housing around the inner harbor waterfront. There are many newer buildings around town with retail on the ground floor and housing above. The building where the hot dog place is...Salty Dog between Rogers & Main streets, above Subway on Railroad Ave. and the new Camron's development has housing planned for the upper floors. 

March 2nd, 2018, 8:08 am #22

William Taylor.e wrote:
gloman wrote:
Damon wrote: The city does charge for parking there. There is a kiosk as you drive down the slope.
Amusingly a bus pays the same as a car :)
The city owns the waterfront there but it is committed to use by commercial fishermen.
Yes, check it out at about 11 am tomorrow and you will see some salt water there.
There is enough water for schooners in front of the Building Center but I do not think they could come in to where that boat is shown in the old photo. I used to go in there with my lobster boat to pick up materials for wharf repair but that float and pier has been out of service for many years. It was not 12 feet deep in there but is a little further out.
A  lawyer for the Building Center foiled the last plan to put the I4/C2 property and the BC waterfront to use. It
might be worth another try but the other possible local business partners might be hard to reassemble.
It is entirely true that Gloucester owns far less of their waterfront than comparable port cities and I would
think long and hard before selling it.
By the way it is at St Peter's that we can not charge for parking. It is an open public park. Using it for parking at all is a bit strange.
When St Peters first opened we had not only Fiesta there but various other gatherings.
When are we going to wake up?
Commercial fishing is not coming back.
How about tourist related business.
Even if fishing does come back I would like to see waterfront apartments/condos, etc., on the harbor. If done with low, working waterfront type of buildings, it would mean more downtown residents who would help keep Main Street business alive. Tourism is fine but it tends to mean junky tourist t-shirts and stuff like that taking over store fronts when we need real butcher, baker, candlestick makers...honest commerce business there.....and tourists are here only in good weather so half the year stores really struggle to pay the rent. If someone comes along and buy a building and usually spends some money fixing it up and has to pay a mortgage and taxes they have to get a fair rent to pay it all back and make some profit too. Survival is a very tough scenario. It was different in the day when property owners lived upstairs and had their shops downstairs.
The tourist season runs from April thru October now. It also happens to be our second biggest industry and we spend very little money advertising our city. You don't bring people here by cheap t-shirt shops, but rather our history and culture.
Additionally, are you nuts! Condos on the waterfront!!!
Damon and the anti change crowd will come after you. How dare you suggest change😲

March 2nd, 2018, 10:12 am #23

Aw - "Condo". That scary word that conjures "reds under our beds"!

Look, a condo is simply an apartment - nothing more or less,other than that the majority of them are owner-occupied.
More people living downtown will absolutely benefit downtown businesses.

March 2nd, 2018, 2:29 pm #24

battlingignorance wrote: Aw - "Condo". That scary word that conjures "reds under our beds"!

Look, a condo is simply an apartment - nothing more or less,other than that the majority of them are owner-occupied.
More people living downtown will absolutely benefit downtown businesses.
I always knew you were one smart feller, BI, but too much agreeing with me will ruin your rating.
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..

March 2nd, 2018, 2:37 pm #25

Technically, a "condo" is a form of ownership -- there can be condos that are single-family dwellings, too, but where there are two or more on property (land) that is held in common and/or that share common facilities such as garages, outbuilding, and pools. 

I have always found it odd that people dislike a particular form of ownership rather than a particular type of structure. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 2nd, 2018, 2:46 pm #26

You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!

March 2nd, 2018, 2:47 pm #27

show this to any probable buyers!!!!
You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!

March 2nd, 2018, 2:57 pm #28

Looks like the Gloucester House lot is flooded, too. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

March 3rd, 2018, 3:44 am #29

The Gloucester House parking lot was flooded but the restaurant remained open and you could get in through the front door I was told. About 25 years ago when the restaurant was rebuilt the floor was raised about four feet. Before that the bar flooded every time we got a spring tide with a gale.
When I told the shopping mall developer that his underground parking garage would be under water he did not get it until I showed him a picture like that.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

March 3rd, 2018, 10:38 pm #30

Damon wrote: The Gloucester House parking lot was flooded but the restaurant remained open and you could get in through the front door I was told. About 25 years ago when the restaurant was rebuilt the floor was raised about four feet. Before that the bar flooded every time we got a spring tide with a gale.
When I told the shopping mall developer that his underground parking garage would be under water he did not get it until I showed him a picture like that.
The Ic42 is fill, so any kind of structure would have to deal with the flooding issue.

March 4th, 2018, 8:34 am #31

New idea,after seeing the flooding in the lot why not remove the fill material and dredge for more boat dockage.
I think it would make a great downtown marina with much-needed dockage.

March 4th, 2018, 9:32 am #32

Dun Fudgin wrote:
mnemosyne wrote:
Dun Fudgin wrote: My 1st step would be to re-configure the dockage so all the commercial boats remain there and move the schooners there. It may require cooperation from the Building Center to use the water frontage they don't use any longer then go from there. We could call it "Schooner Park".
It's not deep enough for the Adventure. 
Actually it is, about 15' at low tide according to my fathometer. Back in the day large lumber and coal ships offloaded at the Building Center.
Building Center lumber.jpg
i was looking at the I-4, C-2 site. It would be just deep enough for Adventure at the Building Center, although docking might be an adventure. 

March 4th, 2018, 4:13 pm #33

Any potential buyer who sees a photograph of the flooded lot during the storm is going to head for the hills. 

Maybe it's time to consider removing all of the fill that created it and restore the cove.

March 4th, 2018, 8:53 pm #34

@squamboy 
New idea,after seeing the flooding in the lot why not remove the fill material and dredge for more boat dockage.
@Matisse 
Maybe it's time to consider removing all of the fill that created it and restore the cove.
The more I think about what that would be like, the more I like the idea.

March 4th, 2018, 10:05 pm #35

Cathy (Admin) wrote: @squamboy 
@Matisse 
Hummm..yes that area was once marsh/swamp and I do think there might be something to making it a  marina. I wonder if the powers to be have considered it in any way shape or form.

March 4th, 2018, 10:19 pm #36

William Taylor.e wrote:
@Matisse 
Hummm..yes that area was once marsh/swamp and I do think there might be something to making it a  marina. I wonder if the powers to be have considered it in any way shape or form.
Yes my thoughts too

March 6th, 2018, 8:09 am #37

squamboy wrote:
William Taylor.e wrote:
@Matisse 
Yes my thoughts too
I am not sure when or if it was a swamp. The old charts show six feet of water at low tide in what is now the lot and it was part of the harbor before the concrete Davis Bros fish plant was built.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

March 6th, 2018, 10:30 am #38

Damon wrote:
squamboy wrote:
William Taylor.e wrote:
@Matisse 
Yes my thoughts too
I am not sure when or if it was a swamp. The old charts show six feet of water at low tide in what is now the lot and it was part of the harbor before the concrete Davis Bros fish plant was built.
Yes, I was thinking more of the Walgreen area which I believe was swampy marsh land.

March 6th, 2018, 4:34 pm #39

William Taylor.e wrote:
Damon wrote:
squamboy wrote:
William Taylor.e wrote:

@Matisse 

Yes my thoughts too
Yes, I was thinking more of the Walgreen area which I believe was swampy marsh land.
The Walgreen to Senior Center area was Vincent Cove.
 George Orwell , 1984

March 7th, 2018, 6:43 pm #40

@Matisse 
Yes anything but a parking lot. It can be named Damons Cove.