House of Cards - new season released on Friday! / Other good series

Joined: September 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

June 6th, 2017, 8:26 am #81

I won't say anything about what is happening in H0C, Karly -- but I will say that I think it is halfway over the shark.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 3rd, 2006, 8:10 pm

Thrills, chills and an ending that will make you shout in disbelief

June 10th, 2017, 5:03 pm #82

I just survived watching Paula, a three-part sledgehammer of a series that will in turns revolt you, scare the living bejesus out of you and leave you gasping for air as you marvel at how utterly insane people can be to themselves and others. It's all a bit much and way over the top, but the acting is stellar and the gothic darkness of the Dublin setting only deepens the horror. Watching this one made me realize how sedate and pedestrian my daily life is, and that's a really good thing! It's on BBC 2.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." - Christopher Hitchens
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

July 6th, 2017, 1:18 pm #83

I watched the first couple episodes of Gypsy on Netflix last night.  Very captivating!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

August 6th, 2017, 7:27 pm #84

Ray Donovan comes back tonight. Can't wait to see what kind of wacky hijinks Bunchy gets into this season.

Also started Season 1 of Game of Thrones. It's not really my genre, but wanted to see what all the hubbub is about.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

August 6th, 2017, 8:26 pm #85

gator wrote:
Ray Donovan comes back tonight. Can't wait to see what kind of wacky hijinks Bunchy gets into this season.

Also started Season 1 of Game of Thrones. It's not really my genre, but wanted to see what all the hubbub is about.
It's not really my favorite genre either, but it's really well done. It is about far more than the world it portrays. 

I have been binge watching it this summer. I am up to the 4th episode of season 6. 


If you haven't discovered it yet, you might find the viewer's guide from HBO useful. I like to follow things on maps, in real life and otherwise. This one works well. 


The episode guides in Wikipedia are excellent as well, especially if you want to refresh your memory about something, or remind yourself who that character is that Arya hates so much because of something he did three seasons back -- and you haven't seen him in any of the intervening episodes. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

August 6th, 2017, 9:35 pm #86

I'm only on Episode 4 and have been reading the recaps here. It's definitely a well made, binge worthy show! I'll check out the HBO link later.

It's definitely about more than the world it portrays according to the themes section in Wikipedia. Looking forward to continuing the series.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

September 10th, 2017, 7:46 pm #87

Best...season...of...Narcos...Ever!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

September 11th, 2017, 4:16 pm #88

Absolutely, Karly.  SO much tension...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

September 11th, 2017, 4:22 pm #89

Damn! Now I have to binge-watch another series. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

October 4th, 2017, 11:14 am #90

Occupied is back for Season 2 on October 10th and Peaky Blinders is back for the long awaited Season 4 later this month. Glad I renewed my Netflix account recently!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

November 15th, 2017, 8:47 pm #91

The Crown, season 2, coming to Netflix on December 8.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

December 8th, 2017, 8:08 am #92

This is the day!  Tonight I binge-watch The Crown, season 2.  
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 2nd, 2008, 1:30 am

December 8th, 2017, 12:41 pm #93

For those of you who are Amazon Prime users, I definitely recommend "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" ---- great cast, especially the terrific Alex Borstein
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 27th, 2005, 12:41 am

December 8th, 2017, 1:50 pm #94

I was surprised to find that I loved Narcos. We started watching it to see Pedro Pascal in a non Game of Thrones role, but I was quickly hooked.

We are in the midst of a warped little series called Tin Star. Tim Roth plays a police chief in the middle of nowhere in Canada going up against an oil company, and apparently, his past. It feels like a cross between Northern Exposure and maybe Twin Peaks.

What I would like to know is how I can watch things like Ray Donovan and Homeland without paying for Showtime.
"...the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." ."

-Paul Collins


    
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 2nd, 2008, 1:30 am

December 8th, 2017, 10:01 pm #95

Island Annie wrote: I was surprised to find that I loved Narcos. We started watching it to see Pedro Pascal in a non Game of Thrones role, but I was quickly hooked.

We are in the midst of a warped little series called Tin Star. Tim Roth plays a police chief in the middle of nowhere in Canada going up against an oil company, and apparently, his past. It feels like a cross between Northern Exposure and maybe Twin Peaks.

What I would like to know is how I can watch things like Ray Donovan and Homeland without paying for Showtime.
You can get both shows for free on DVD at the library
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

December 29th, 2017, 9:35 pm #96

Very late to the party but finally tearing up Peaky Blinders on Netflix.  The violence turned me off so much that I couldn't watch it but more than one person told me to try the second episode so I finally did and was hooked. I do close my eyes frequently.  But it is my current binge. I love binges.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

December 29th, 2017, 9:53 pm #97

Karly wrote: Very late to the party but finally tearing up Peaky Blinders on Netflix.  The violence turned me off so much that I couldn't watch it but more than one person told me to try the second episode so I finally did and was hooked. I do close my eyes frequently.  But it is my current binge. I love binges.
Better late than never! It's definitely raw and gritty, but the way the story unfolds, its hard not to watch. I think my favorite thing about the show is the time period coupled with a modern soundtrack. Genius. I finished Season 4 last night and can't say enough good things about it. Arthur's unpredictability and demeanor crack me up lol. Enjoy!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

December 30th, 2017, 5:42 pm #98

Agree on that. Also...for me it is the character development which became clear in the second episode of Season 1.  OMG.  Tommy.  Grace.  Polly.  Arthur.  I just watched the wedding episode from Season 2. When a writer gets me to like people who have done such awful things I know they are good.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

December 31st, 2017, 10:24 pm #99

Karly wrote: Agree on that. Also...for me it is the character development which became clear in the second episode of Season 1.  OMG.  Tommy.  Grace.  Polly.  Arthur.  I just watched the wedding episode from Season 2. When a writer gets me to like people who have done such awful things I know they are good.
 I sometimes have trouble understanding the dialogue because of the English accents, so reading a recap online is a must most of the time!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 3rd, 2006, 8:10 pm

January 1st, 2018, 2:38 pm #100

I'm watching the second season of Fortitude, a very bleak but outrageously entertaining series set in an arctic outpost rife with killer polar bears, scientists with bizarre inclinations, a sheriff who has lost his mind, a looming ecological disaster, a lot of heavy drinking and a host of offbeat characters that will have you on the edge of your seat wondering what is making everyone paranoid that they are next to suffer a horrible fate...

Dennis Quaid plays a washed-up fisherman hoping for one last big payday while the rest of the cast hails from all sorts of famous European series as well as Game of Thrones.

If you like the weirdest of the weird, Fortitude is for you!

Check it out on Amazon Prime.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." - Christopher Hitchens
Quote
Like
Share