Gordon College and Free Speech

May 14th, 2018, 8:04 pm #1

This is an interesting case on free speech with a local twist.  This article is in the school paper...often the best source like our own Gillnetter in Gloucester.

"At its core, this lawsuit is a First Amendment case. Deweese-Boyd argues that the denial of promotion violated her First Amendment rights to voice her opinions. Gordon argues that it is within its First Amendment rights as a religious institution to make employment decisions on the basis of an employee’s personal expressions."

http://gtartan.com/2018/05/04/deweese-b ... n-lawsuit/

May 15th, 2018, 11:13 am #2

Seems to me that although Gordon College could communicate its position a little more directly, that it needs to be able to have its faculty be a like mind in its position on LGBTQ+ issues.  Deweese-Boyd must have known that the institution's position differed from hers (you can find it on their web site) and that the conflict between her conscience and the school's policy existed.  Although I personally agree with the professor, I don't see how one can create an institution with a specific religious atmosphere while accommodating all viewpoints.  It's a difficult problem to solve.  Even though her job was solely secular,  the fact is that she carries the imprimatur of the college with her.

May 15th, 2018, 6:15 pm #3

It is an interesting case.  I think Deweese-Boyd has a good argument that Gordon is trying to expand the ministerial exception beyond what was intended and I agree with her lawyer's position that it does not permit discrimination against faculty members for advocating against discrimination.   This is one to watch.

May 15th, 2018, 7:00 pm #4

I would think that the college had the right to promote whoever they want

May 15th, 2018, 7:05 pm #5

tyu12 wrote: I would think that the college had the right to promote whoever they want
There are some pesky little laws about discrimination and free speech involved, tyu.  

May 15th, 2018, 7:52 pm #6

The First Amendment begins with the words, "Congress shall make no law...".

It prevents the government from infringing upon your right to free speech.  But it does not force your employer to allow you to say anything you want, without consequence.

This is a common misunderstanding of the First Amendment.  

May 15th, 2018, 7:57 pm #7

Martin Del Vecchio wrote: The First Amendment begins with the words, "Congress shall make no law...".

It prevents the government from infringing upon your right to free speech.  But it does not force your employer to allow you to say anything you want, without consequence.

This is a common misunderstanding of the First Amendment. 
Even if what you say is to protest discrimination toward a protected class?  

May 15th, 2018, 7:58 pm #8

Yes, unless of course your employment contract spells out this right.  I am fairly certain that Gordon College's does not, as they are a repressive institution.

May 15th, 2018, 8:02 pm #9

That is depressing.  I understand we can't yell fire in a theater but we should be able to always, in any situation, speak up against discrimination against a protected class IMO.  

May 15th, 2018, 8:03 pm #10

Did you all click on the link to the earlier article that described the resignation of the entire faculty senate over this issue? It seems to indicate a fantastic chasm between the academic faculty and the administrative (religious?) leadership of the college.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

May 15th, 2018, 8:03 pm #11

Damon wrote: Did you all click on the link to the earlier article that described the resignation of the entire faculty senate over this issue? It seems to indicate a fantastic chasm between the academic faculty and the administrative (religious?) leadership of the college.
I did see that, Damon but I am glad you mentioned it.

May 15th, 2018, 8:07 pm #12

Karly wrote: That is depressing.  I understand we can't yell fire in a theater but we should be able to always, in any situation, speak up against discrimination against a protected class IMO.  
And this person was able to do just that.  The government did not prevent or punish this speech.

May 15th, 2018, 8:10 pm #13

I agree that this is not a First Amendment issue but the question is can you overturn the promotion of an employee for religious reasons. Perhaps if it were about a preacher in a church, but negate the promotion of a professor in a college who is not teaching religion and has been advanced from associate to full professor by the faculty senate? This is just nuts in my opinion.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

May 15th, 2018, 8:12 pm #14

I think they have bigger problems than the promotion of one professor :(
 George Orwell , 1984

May 16th, 2018, 8:28 am #15

For all the rightie-whiners constantly whining about leftist "indoctrination" on college campuses - religious institutions of higher ed. are the true masters of absolute indoctrination.

May 16th, 2018, 3:18 pm #16

To digress a bit I have met and interacted with many Gordon students over the past fifty years and have found them to be outstanding people. All of them..and I am pleased to be an atheist.
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..

May 16th, 2018, 6:34 pm #17

Protected class you mean privileged class.

May 16th, 2018, 7:11 pm #18

tyu, tyu, tyu...I suspect you are trolling but just in case...

Do you think women are a privileged class?  Jews?   People of color?  Gay people?

If you do think so, please explain how they are privileged.

May 16th, 2018, 7:46 pm #19

How are white people a privileged class

May 16th, 2018, 7:47 pm #20

Good try.  You did not answer my question, tyu.  You said protected classes are privileged.

To repeat...

Do you think women are a privileged class?  Jews?   People of color?  Gay people?

If you do think so, please explain how they are privileged.