Gas Explosions!

September 13th, 2018, 6:49 pm #1

Multiple suspected gas explosions have set structures on fire across dozens of blocks and forced evacuations in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts State Police said Thursday.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/us/massa ... index.html

September 13th, 2018, 7:17 pm #2

I've been listening to the mutual aid companies responding to fires or staging areas on the scanner and it's nuts.   N. Andover had 35 houses on fire since this started with 18 homes burning at the same time.   National Grid intends to kill the power to the 3 affected cities, towns.      

September 13th, 2018, 7:35 pm #3

What the heck could cause this? Did National Grid accidentally start pumping a natural gas/air mixture through their network up there? 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

September 13th, 2018, 7:52 pm #4

Scary as heck:

September 13th, 2018, 8:17 pm #5

It is really scary. I am trying to get rellies in the borderlands there to leave and come to my house even though they haven't been evacuated.

September 13th, 2018, 8:18 pm #6

Just found out it's not National Grid. Some other company. 

Still -- could high pressure in the gas main do this? Shouldn't gas meters be designed to prevent this? 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

September 13th, 2018, 10:01 pm #7

Beauport Hotel...as per it's wastebook page, in all it's magnanimous glory has offered "special rates" for victims of the Andover/Lawrence gas situation...only $225 per night. Nice! Right?!?! Buncha money grabbing assholes.

September 13th, 2018, 10:08 pm #8

Boy, that's some pretty bad PR. They should be offering Motel 6 rates -- and they'd still probably clear a profit. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

September 13th, 2018, 10:21 pm #9

bogtrotter wrote: Beauport Hotel...as per it's wastebook page, in all it's magnanimous glory has offered "special rates" for victims of the Andover/Lawrence gas situation...only $225 per night. Nice! Right?!?! Buncha money grabbing assholes.
Bastards. Rockport Inn & Suites once had a "Snow Emergency Special" and were only charging $99 per night. They even let me bring my big ole' dog.

September 14th, 2018, 6:11 am #10

Fortune Cookie wrote: Just found out it's not National Grid. Some other company. 

Still -- could high pressure in the gas main do this? Shouldn't gas meters be designed to prevent this? 
Gas meters cannot handle the extreme pressures that were introduced into the supply system .  Think of it like a car tire. It has a max pressure rating and if you tried to put say 200lbs of pressure into a tire rated at 45lbs max, it will fail.   Gas lines in the street have a pressure around 60lbs of operating pressure. The gas meter reduces pressure to about 1.25 lbs.  When the meters failed that pilot light in a gas stove becomes a 5ft long torch burning everything around it.  There were a number of reported basement fires which I would suspect were from hot water heaters turned into flame throwers.   The pressure in the street lines must have been boosted many times over safe levels by some type of safety valve failure in a main delivery line feeding the street lines.  

September 14th, 2018, 6:30 am #11

bogtrotter wrote: Beauport Hotel...as per it's wastebook page, in all it's magnanimous glory has offered "special rates" for victims of the Andover/Lawrence gas situation...only $225 per night. Nice! Right?!?! Buncha money grabbing assholes.
It was a social media snafu made worse by a poster on Twitter. All area hotels were initially offering discounts while the Beauport Hotel was suppose to post waiving their current $225 rate for victims of the tragedy, but the wording was wrong. Someone on Twitter posted the initial wrong post along side another hotel post which later offered free lodging for victims. Then all the trolls came out ignoring the corrected post. In the meantime employees had to bear the negative barrage while at the same time making sure victims that seeked lodging at Beauport were taken care of. Working there overnight I'm proud in a small way that I was able to help and comfort the people ( and their pets) of the Merrimack Valley!

September 14th, 2018, 6:44 am #12

jake wrote:
Fortune Cookie wrote: Just found out it's not National Grid. Some other company. 

Gas meters cannot handle the extreme pressures that were introduced into the supply system .  Think of it like a car tire. It has a max pressure rating and if you tried to put say 200lbs of pressure into a tire rated at 45lbs max, it will fail.   Gas lines in the street have a pressure around 60lbs of operating pressure. The gas meter reduces pressure to about 1.25 lbs.  When the meters failed that pilot light in a gas stove becomes a 5ft long torch burning everything around it.  There were a number of reported basement fires which I would suspect were from hot water heaters turned into flame throwers.   The pressure in the street lines must have been boosted many times over safe levels by some type of safety valve failure in a main delivery line feeding the street lines.  
Then they're a shitty design. Put a relief valve in them! Better a stream of gas outside than inside. 

A meter is not a car tire. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

t

September 14th, 2018, 7:41 am #13

Since there were not 6000 fires, I can assume that some of the meters failed in a normal fashion and some did not.

September 14th, 2018, 8:20 am #14

I very much doubt every meter would fail at exactly the same time or in the same way. Because variation.

One is too many. 

Design flaw. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

September 14th, 2018, 9:53 am #15

You'd think that after more than a century they'd know how to design a gas meter.  Either it was sudden overpressure, or:
The meters were recently "maintained" (you know, someone drives up in a van and explains that the new meters will be much better - for the gas company, that is), and some idiot misread the instructions and put the safety valve in backwards, or something - these things happen, and it would explain the clustering of events.  The gas company will find out, though I doubt they will tell us.  They're liable anyway.

peregrine

Gas in the city is much older than electricity, and I have a sudden vision of a homeowner looking for a gas leak in the cellar with the help of a candle - not a good idea.  Those were the days.

September 14th, 2018, 10:13 am #16

Well I suppose the candle will find it in a hurry.
Actually the houses mostly have pilot lights on in the basement and kitchen, so there is no way to win.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

September 14th, 2018, 10:54 am #17

It was enough to make me refresh my memory re: where my shutoffs are.

For the propane, of course, there are valves right on the tanks. The tanks that could never over-pressurize. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

September 14th, 2018, 11:43 am #18

Glad I have an electric house.

September 14th, 2018, 11:47 am #19

Dun Fudgin wrote:
It was a social media snafu made worse by a poster on Twitter. All area hotels were initially offering discounts while the Beauport Hotel was suppose to post waiving their current $225 rate for victims of the tragedy, but the wording was wrong. Someone on Twitter posted the initial wrong post along side another hotel post which later offered free lodging for victims. Then all the trolls came out ignoring the corrected post. In the meantime employees had to bear the negative barrage while at the same time making sure victims that seeked lodging at Beauport were taken care of. Working there overnight I'm proud in a small way that I was able to help and comfort the people ( and their pets) of the Merrimack Valley!
Some with an agenda also pushed that initial post. They corrected the mistake, but management owns this and never should have blamed an employee.

September 14th, 2018, 3:37 pm #20

Speculation of Twitter (for whatever that's worth, some experts, some amateurs) mentioned the possibility of a cyber hack introducing pressure to the gas lines via computer. Similar, some were saying, to Stuxnet. Not sure how realistic that is, and I try to stay away from conspiracy theories, but there have been attempted foreign hacks on energy grids in recent years.  
"...the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." ."

-Paul Collins