flooding

Joined: February 7th, 2008, 5:54 pm

January 7th, 2018, 9:29 pm #61

It seems like Newell Stadium is a place of chronic wetness!

"James Henigan was here on that stormy opening day. The former American Cross Country Champion was called “the most famous distance
runner in the world” by a Boston sports columnist. He easily bested a field of twenty in the five mile race in spite of occasional “ankle deep mud.”
                                                                                   --- from a GDT story about the first athletic event held at the Centennial Avenue Track

(Opening event was on August 25, 1923)
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 25th, 2008, 12:11 am

January 7th, 2018, 9:41 pm #62

Leland33 wrote: About thirty years ago there were snow emergency signs on all of Gloucester’s main streets BUT you could park on MOST back streets.

Once upon a time not only did I have coveted off street parking but the mayor at the time gave me the DPW’s cell# for a ride in bad weather because he considered me essential.

This was during a wicked blizzard.

So with drifts up to three feet and not much plowed yet I set out in my trusty Corolla (the one that went 425,000 miles) and made it one block.  I burned out the clutch.

So I called the DPW but couldn’t wait for the call back.  I hoofed  it 3 miles to work and got a ride part-way from the GDT editor. It WAS important for me to be at work,  I did have some clout,  The clutch was NOT insured (obviously) and never thought EVER  to recover the repair$.. I know that the mayor found out about this and I guess I gained a point or two for character with him.

Oh, SugarMag - is this what you mean by personal responsibility??
LELAND YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHIT IT IS A JOKE.  CELLPHONES 30 YEARS AGO COME ON!
DO YOU STAY UP AT NIGHT THINKING UP THIS CRAP?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 13th, 2005, 5:30 am

January 7th, 2018, 9:52 pm #63

I'm pretty sure that 30 years ago (1988), when I worked construction, I had a Nextel 2-way/cell phone.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 20th, 2007, 11:54 pm

January 7th, 2018, 9:56 pm #64

moro wrote: "I don't understand why people would park in that part of the lot and not the larger lot between the gym and auto shop building"

Maybe because something like this had never happened before ???
I mentioned before it happened several times. During the Blizzard of 78 and during the 1991 "Perfect Storm", I was there for that one when it happened. I was coaching football at MERHS and we called off practice early because of the weather. My cousin was playing for GHS and they had a JV game vs Salem at the stadium. I drove by to watch the 2nd half and early in the 4th qtr the river breached the seawall. It came rolling down the embankment and soon a wave was crossing the field. The game ended right then and as I ran to my truck the water was just reaching my front tires. By the time I reached Centennial Ave. the water was crossing the street. Tha's why I said before I was dumbfounded the lot wasn't closed.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 2nd, 2014, 3:56 pm

January 7th, 2018, 10:45 pm #65

The Annisquam has flowed over the wall onto the High School grounds many times. But generally without ruining cars! 

The standing water in the parking lot, up to steering wheel level like we saw on Thursday was an amazing oddity.

Always easy to fault the authorities for not predicting an incredibly rare thing like this.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

January 7th, 2018, 11:26 pm #66

GLOMAN -

In 1988 I know my sister had a phone in her car which was really a hard wired cell phone.  I think she had it installed in 1986.

The DPW “Once upon a time” was about 10 to 15 years later and as far as I remember it was a DPW cell phone hardwired/Nextel OR CELL handheld - I don’t remember:  DPW had at least one.

As I said I waited for a call back (to my home phone) and couldn’t wait due to time constraints.i did not say I had a cell phone.  But I remember where and when the mayor gave me the number for the DPW cell/Nextel.

The GDT editor (prior to Meredith Fine - I think) saw me and I got a ride in her oldish Suburu,

I didn’t want to put the editor out - she was on her way home though.

That’s about it Gloman - as far as having “some clout” - today very little clout.

But I do have true stories.

I purchased two cell phones and two accounts for me and my late mom.  She absolutely loved it but they were “ATT analog phones” that went digital.  She used it to talk to my late Dad because he was worried about her commuting at 79 years.  Her first day of retirement was 9/11/01 - 58 years of work with or without us kids!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 7th, 2008, 5:54 pm

January 8th, 2018, 12:41 am #67

Leland..... I bet it was Mary Wessling who picked you up!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 25th, 2008, 12:11 am

January 8th, 2018, 8:35 am #68

Leland33 wrote: GLOMAN -

In 1988 I know my sister had a phone in her car which was really a hard wired cell phone.  I think she had it installed in 1986.

The DPW “Once upon a time” was about 10 to 15 years later and as far as I remember it was a DPW cell phone hardwired/Nextel OR CELL handheld - I don’t remember:  DPW had at least one.

As I said I waited for a call back (to my home phone) and couldn’t wait due to time constraints.i did not say I had a cell phone.  But I remember where and when the mayor gave me the number for the DPW cell/Nextel.

The GDT editor (prior to Meredith Fine - I think) saw me and I got a ride in her oldish Suburu,

I didn’t want to put the editor out - she was on her way home though.

That’s about it Gloman - as far as having “some clout” - today very little clout.

But I do have true stories.

I purchased two cell phones and two accounts for me and my late mom.  She absolutely loved it but they were “ATT analog phones” that went digital.  She used it to talk to my late Dad because he was worried about her commuting at 79 years.  Her first day of retirement was 9/11/01 - 58 years of work with or without us kids!
Nextel was first released in 1983/84 and the first cell phone was late 1984 and cost 4000.00.
Maybe you are confused.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 15th, 2006, 1:02 am

January 8th, 2018, 9:33 am #69

tyu12 wrote:
Leland33 wrote: I’ll try to pickup on the insurance aspect.  First of all with 40 years in the Biz my Dad would tell me to always ignore signs that say “OWNER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ... yada yada”  yes they are!!! You might loose in court but based on negligence, etc - you might win! What the sign does is discourage people from acting against the owner.

The car owned have insurance and the school does also. I think that will happen is the auto insurers will pay the claim quickly then the auto insurers will go after the school BUT it’s also possible the car owner goes directly to the school,  A car insurer will have you in a rental very soon too.

Smaller insurance companies are pooled and become larger.

I had parked in that lot up until the $135 dollar fine. B/I had gotten a $135 fine too as I remember.
I would hope that if anyone goes after the city or schools the city would just stop allowing anyone to park at any school property,
That would most likely be the result.   a convenience would be lost to common sense.
You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 15th, 2006, 1:02 am

January 8th, 2018, 9:39 am #70

Everyone is whining about parking bans.  Is it possible to park on one side of the street during the snow and then move to the other side the day after (even/odd parking rules).  Those that don't would get towed.    I realize there wasn't as many cars before but when I first got my license there was NO PARKING every night from December 15 to March 15 EVERY winter, regardless of the weather.
You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

January 8th, 2018, 11:45 am #71

NightStalker wrote: Everyone is whining about parking bans.  Is it possible to park on one side of the street during the snow and then move to the other side the day after (even/odd parking rules).  Those that don't would get towed.    I realize there wasn't as many cars before but when I first got my license there was NO PARKING every night from December 15 to March 15 EVERY winter, regardless of the weather.
“Night, that was before my move here in ‘84 - I guess - which is what I mentioned in my post “thirty years ago” and I know we didn’t have designated parking areas - but it might be the three month ban you mention - that’s fairly strict.

As far as options, hopefully the city can pull through with that possible option with MEMA (there’s an office at Beverly Airport next to the 9/11 Memorial).
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

January 8th, 2018, 12:01 pm #72

DM3194 wrote: Leland..... I bet it was Mary Wessling who picked you up!
Yes DM - it was Ms. Wessling-Harrington and her Suburu - thank you for putting a name to the good samaritan in a blizzard. I think she left the GDT in 96/97.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 7th, 2008, 5:54 pm

January 8th, 2018, 12:31 pm #73

Right. She was editor from '89 to '96.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 17th, 2016, 12:58 pm

January 8th, 2018, 1:39 pm #74

Cathy (Admin) wrote: I get the personal responsibility thing.  I do.  But in my reality - if I live in a location where my only option is to park on the street and there is a street parking ban and I park in the lot where I have parked for years when there is a parking ban, a lot which has never flooded in my lifetime, that is what I would do.  At that moment in time I am not calculating the possibilities that the lot may or may not flood - I am thinking about getting my car to the lot and fretting about getting it out of there when the ban is lifted before I get towed.  That is real life.  

@William Taylor.e   The initial parking ban did not warn of potential flooding - only after the storm actually hit and the parking ban was extended and the City issued an update did they mention possible flooding issues - after it happened.

I would file this under sh*t happens to us all at one time or another and if there is some relief to be offered from the State in the spirit of helping those in need, I'm all for it.
This is probably a little late (and irrelevant at this point), but Accuweather *was* sending out coastal flood watches and warnings starting at 8:15am on Wednesday, 1/3.  
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 20th, 2007, 11:54 pm

January 8th, 2018, 2:28 pm #75

moro wrote: The Annisquam has flowed over the wall onto the High School grounds many times. But generally without ruining cars! 

The standing water in the parking lot, up to steering wheel level like we saw on Thursday was an amazing oddity.

Always easy to fault the authorities for not predicting an incredibly rare thing like this.
As I mentioned earlier the stadium was raised about 3' during the rebuild forcing water to pond in the parking lot.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 2nd, 2014, 3:56 pm

January 8th, 2018, 2:55 pm #76

OK. I guess that's why it had never happened before. New construction.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

January 8th, 2018, 4:58 pm #77

Mayoral Memo: Snow Emergency Updates & Flood Assistance Exploration =>

https://capeanncommunity.com/2018/01/08 ... ploration/
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 13th, 2005, 5:30 am

January 8th, 2018, 5:09 pm #78

Also posted on the City's site (and ad-free, lol):

http://gloucester-ma.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1247
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

January 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm #79

Maybe a voluntary “work-off” at say $20/hour to pay back all or some of any $$$ settlement.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 2nd, 2008, 1:30 am

January 8th, 2018, 9:02 pm #80

Leland33 wrote: Maybe a voluntary “work-off” at say $20/hour to pay back all or some of any $$$ settlement.
Shoveling out elderly?
Quote
Like
Share