Electric cars in winter...this alleviates my concerns...

Joined: March 30th, 2007, 12:27 am

February 10th, 2018, 12:30 pm #1

 Since I have no garage, I particularly like the idea of preheating the car with grid power.  Not long ago I was a skeptic about electric cars but my tune has changed.
I think they might get to 300 miles and really quick charging in five years. We will still have the problem of replacing/recycling the batteries though.


https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/ ... mperatures
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 25th, 2007, 6:00 pm

February 10th, 2018, 2:09 pm #2

I would like to see fuel cell powered cars because solar and wind can disassociate water into H2 and O2 cleanly and the result of combining them cleanly is power and H2O.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

February 11th, 2018, 5:14 pm #3

Big energy will exclude anything that doesn’t make big money - including developing fuel cells.

Heeeeres Johnny:
1978
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

February 12th, 2018, 10:54 am #4

It seems that there are a couple of people that think the city charging stations at city hall and the annex are there own private charging stations.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

February 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm #5

Personal Electric Vehicles (PEV) have an elite status when it comes to parking and providing mostly free charging stations.  I am fine with this, as long as it SOMEDAY phases into a payment system and EVEN a fines for over use.

But PEV’s are FINALLY coming of age - so give em a break for a while... despite having to bite the bullet being jealous for the “high end” PEV owners.

No worry tyu12 ... regulations are coming “down the road”...  

https://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/51227.pdf
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

February 12th, 2018, 5:43 pm #6

Leland33:
Personal Electric Vehicles (PEV) have an elite status when it comes to parking and providing mostly free charging stations.  I am fine with this, as long as it SOMEDAY phases into a payment system and EVEN a fines for over use.

But PEV’s are FINALLY coming of age - so give em a break for a while... despite having to bite the bullet being jealous for the “high end” PEV owners.

No worry tyu12 ... regulations are coming “down the road”...  

https://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/51227.pdf


I would think that if you had an electric car you would have a charging station. Awhile ago I came out of a meeting to see a car getting towed away for parking in the charging station. There was a person there who felt that that was his personal charging station why not just charge it at home and not cost somebody a lot of money for maybe not seeing a sign.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

February 12th, 2018, 9:02 pm #7

The charging stations are for free public use, last time I checked (which wasn't that long ago). But you have to feed the meter, and if you don't, then you could be towed. 

The car you saw towed probably didn't feed the meter. But it wasn't towed for using the charging station. Or shouldn't have been. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

February 12th, 2018, 9:37 pm #8

Fortune Cookie wrote: The charging stations are for free public use, last time I checked (which wasn't that long ago). But you have to feed the meter, and if you don't, then you could be towed. 

The car you saw towed probably didn't feed the meter. But it wasn't towed for using the charging station. Or shouldn't have been. 
The car I saw towed was at night after there is no longer a charge for the meters 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

February 12th, 2018, 10:13 pm #9

My feeling is that charging stations now are for novelty and not necessity.  Towing is wrong for a city ordinance but ticketing is okay.  Maybe there’s more to it, tyu12.  

If you plan to take a diesel car on a trip, it’s like getting stranded without diesel.  But around town shouldn’t be an issue.  I was parked in a garage in Boston and a Tesla parked next to me.  A selfie of course.

NYS has about 3,000 STATE charging stations not including free ones at Nissan, Tesla and probably GM dealerships.

I don’t know if Gloucester has a handbook for PEV’s like the link in my last post. But should. Someday we’ll ALL be competing with MANY PEV’s for hopefully more and more green parking spaces.

In the meantime I’d have to think used, low mileage PEV - like $6,000 for a 2011 Leaf by Nissan. (49,000 miles or only 8,000 miles/yr). Batteries?????
68DCF217-A81A-4E26-8B86-AD7966DAB372.jpeg
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

February 13th, 2018, 12:45 am #10

tyu12 wrote:
Fortune Cookie wrote: The charging stations are for free public use, last time I checked (which wasn't that long ago). But you have to feed the meter, and if you don't, then you could be towed. 

The car you saw towed probably didn't feed the meter. But it wasn't towed for using the charging station. Or shouldn't have been. 
The car I saw towed was at night after there is no longer a charge for the meters 
That may be true, but the charging stations are for free public use, and this person wasn't towed for charging his/her car there. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

February 13th, 2018, 2:08 am #11

GM makes the “Bolt” a PEV and the “Volt” a hybrid. This past summer I stopped by the Farmers Market at SFP and a Bolt pulled in next to me. I expressed pleasantries to the older couple and mentioned my brother had a Bolt on order. My only other time st Farmers Market the same exact thing happened.

AGAIN the Bolt pulled in next to me. I look over and exclaim we meet again. They roll down darkened window. Whaaa? Different couple, different car: not meeting again - me idiot!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

February 13th, 2018, 8:52 am #12

Fortune Cookie wrote:
tyu12 wrote:
Fortune Cookie wrote: The charging stations are for free public use, last time I checked (which wasn't that long ago). But you have to feed the meter, and if you don't, then you could be towed. 

The car you saw towed probably didn't feed the meter. But it wasn't towed for using the charging station. Or shouldn't have been. 
The car I saw towed was at night after there is no longer a charge for the meters 
That may be true, but the charging stations are for free public use, and this person wasn't towed for charging his/her car there. 
it was a gas car the person who feels this is their own personal charging station called the police and the car was towed according to the police officer on the scene 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

February 13th, 2018, 9:01 am #13

tyu...are you saying that someone with a gas car parked in the spot designated for electric cars as a charging station?  And that the gas car was towed for being in an inappropriate location?  If so, I don't see what is wrong with that.  Or is that not what happened?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

February 13th, 2018, 9:27 am #14

Karly wrote: tyu...are you saying that someone with a gas car parked in the spot designated for electric cars as a charging station?  And that the gas car was towed for being in an inappropriate location?  If so, I don't see what is wrong with that.  Or is that not what happened?
yes that is what happened and I can understand that it was the person with the electric car that made like it was there own personal charger why couldn't they have just charged their car at home. Just guessing that the person who had there car towed was probably thinking city offices are closed and no one was parked there and might not have seen the signs and parked there. if these spaces are for the public where does the city charge their cars?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

February 13th, 2018, 10:37 am #15

I know at my office there are charging stations for EVs only, but there are also parking spots with free air, and those anyone can park at, whether they need air or not. When I use the air, I just double-park whoever is parked in the "free air" spot. But filling tires is done in a few minutes, so the situation is not parallel.

I don't know what the city's policy is re: parking in the charging spot. When I looked up the policy there was no mention that the spot was reserved exclusively for EVs being charged, only that the spot is metered and you must feed the meter. Is there signage indicating that non-EVs must not park there? 

Is it possible that the car was towed because the meter was not fed? 

Was it YOUR car that was towed? Is that why you have a hair across your ass about this? 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm

February 13th, 2018, 11:24 am #16

Fortune Cookie wrote: I know at my office there are charging stations for EVs only, but there are also parking spots with free air, and those anyone can park at, whether they need air or not. When I use the air, I just double-park whoever is parked in the "free air" spot. But filling tires is done in a few minutes, so the situation is not parallel.

I don't know what the city's policy is re: parking in the charging spot. When I looked up the policy there was no mention that the spot was reserved exclusively for EVs being charged, only that the spot is metered and you must feed the meter. Is there signage indicating that non-EVs must not park there? 

Is it possible that the car was towed because the meter was not fed? 

Was it YOUR car that was towed? Is that why you have a hair across your ass about this? 
No, I was not my car. no, it is not possible that the car was towed because the meter was not fed the meters are only to 5 or 6 o'clock this was much later.
 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 25th, 2007, 6:00 pm

February 13th, 2018, 11:51 am #17

It would make no sense to allow gas fueled cars to park in the few spaces fitted with battery charging equipment. If the signage does not make that clear it should.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

February 13th, 2018, 11:58 am #18

I can't remember exactly what the sign says there.  However I park near City Hall quite often and would never think about parking my gas-powered car in one of those spots so the intent seems clear at least to me.  

Maybe someone could go down and take a photo for us?  tyu?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 11:07 pm

February 13th, 2018, 12:09 pm #19

Two years ago when paying excise tax I parked in the PEV spot.  It was poorly marked even in daytime.

Had I known i absolutely would not have parked in the PEV charging spot.

Should a PEV park in a charging station fully charged and DOES NOT NEED A CHARGE???   SHOULD THE FULLY CHARGED PEV BE TOWED??

I think a heavy fine is better than a tow - if $200 fine it all goes to the city and not the tow company.

I know some handicap spaces get a fine of $400 (not in the city)
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2010, 12:37 pm

February 13th, 2018, 12:26 pm #20

There could also be a time limit on that space, effective 24/7. 

I'd have to see the signage before getting outraged over this incident. 

In any case, the EV owner isn't the bad guy here. The other person may not be, either. Depends on the parking policy and how well it's communicated. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share