Joined: 12:22 AM - Jan 05, 2008

4:35 PM - Oct 20, 2017 #21

gator wrote:
flounda wrote: If Connors is still under investigation, why is he still allowed to work?
Not sure but I think they stuck him in the overnight shift.

So, they are hiding him from the public.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 9:22 AM - Dec 30, 2006

10:45 PM - Oct 20, 2017 #22

Yup. So...what do we have to do to get some answers?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 9:48 AM - May 10, 2007

11:35 PM - Oct 20, 2017 #23

Sure has that trying to sweep it under the rug feeling.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 10:17 PM - Aug 20, 2007

1:32 PM - Oct 21, 2017 #24

I don't think the city officials are hiding anything from us. When the FBI or AG takes over an investigation, they own it and are under no obligation to provide status updates to anybody---even the person(s) who may have referred the incident to them. The Mayor and councillors probably don't have any updates to share.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 12:22 AM - Jan 05, 2008

2:48 PM - Oct 21, 2017 #25

I'm sure  the mayor knows what is being investigated.
Last edited by flounda on 3:54 PM - Oct 21, 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 6:00 PM - Jun 25, 2007

3:03 PM - Oct 21, 2017 #26

In the absence of real data, the speculation is fantastic and I hope far more serous than the real thing.
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 7:46 PM - Nov 12, 2007

2:14 PM - Nov 03, 2017 #27

Sclafani may be completely bonkers, but we still deserve answers regarding the police investigation(s).  People should not let this fade away.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 12:18 PM - May 07, 2015

6:28 PM - Nov 03, 2017 #28

I liked the former chief and think losing him is a shame. He is slightly arrogant but also very personable and approachable. All qualities you'd want in that role. He did great things for the GPD and the city as a whole. I met with him in his office (as I have with several of his predecessors) as well as on the street, fiesta etc. he was a good chief until the little head took over.

My take on the situation is that we already know what happened, it's just not been made official and it might never be. The rumors were too specific for them to not be mostly true. Do we really need to hear all that again, and have the news trucks here again, for yet more embarrassment? Again?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 5:30 AM - Aug 13, 2005

7:45 PM - Nov 03, 2017 #29

I agree that we certainly do not need another far-reaching negative news story here.

However.

The Times' coverage focused on Sclafani's rage specifically against the Angel program - it being a "socially corrupt human trafficking operation" and made only a scant reference to "internet rumors spread in the fall of 2016 during a series of city probes into police issues."  And so, people seem to be (rightly) outraged that Sclafani dare diss the Angel program like that and we all know how he feels about addicts and still, no one is talking about the police probe.

I am 110% supportive of PAARI and the Angel program and take great offense to anyone that would sully the entire program because of the acts of one or more bad apples, which is what Sclafani was apparently doing.  (I was not there and hold little hope of CATV including that in their election coverage.)

And then I read on the interwebs a response, from a resident, to a question about the police probe:

"It was all internet rumors, nothing ever came of it, and nothing panned out to be true."

And I am so wtf.  I have no details.  I do not know what is true.  But I do at least know that the investigations went to the State and then the Feds and are ongoing.  I am thisclose to giving up on trying to inform the uninformed.

Honestly Trevor, I have no clue what is true.  I know quite a few people who are not even aware of the rumors or think that they were complete poppycock.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 12:37 PM - Nov 13, 2010

8:01 PM - Nov 03, 2017 #30

I was so ready to vote for Sclafani, but after he scorched the Angel program I'm beginning to have my doubts. 
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Fortune Cookie
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 12:22 AM - Jan 05, 2008

8:09 PM - Nov 03, 2017 #31

The incidents are a hell of a lot more than internet rumors. Campanello was probably discharged for a good reason, but the fact he  was from out of down and garnering a lot of attention because of the angel program, made it easier for the camera queen to fire him. Incidents of domestic abuse and misconduct committed by those from Glosta are covered up or looked the other way.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:12 PM - Apr 27, 2011

11:24 PM - Nov 03, 2017 #32

Trevor Slattery wrote: I liked the former chief and think losing him is a shame.  He is slightly arrogant but also very personable and approachable. All qualities you'd want in that role.  He did great things for the GPD and the city as a whole.  I met with him in his office (as I have with several of his predecessors) as well as on the street, fiesta etc. he was a good chief until the little head took over.

My take on the situation is that we already know what happened, it's just not been made official and it might never be.  The rumors were too specific for them to not be mostly true.   Do we really need to hear all that again, and have the news trucks here again, for yet more embarrassment? Again?

For me, it gets back to "Do we hold our public officials to a higher or lesser standard than the average criminal on the street?" I say we should hold them to a much higher standard. I expect criminals to do what they do. I expect those who swear an oath to serve the public, to do JUST THAT.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 11:54 PM - Jun 20, 2007

12:45 AM - Nov 04, 2017 #33

Nothing should distract what the Angel program is all about and should have nothing to do with the present investigations. Perhaps that's why public info has been held back this long. 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 9:31 AM - Jul 02, 2008

6:10 AM - Nov 04, 2017 #34

Did they trade confiscated heroin for sex??? Was the victim a heroin user? 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 9:22 AM - Dec 30, 2006

7:34 AM - Nov 04, 2017 #35

gator wrote:
Trevor Slattery wrote: I liked the former chief and think losing him is a shame.  He is slightly arrogant but also very personable and approachable. All qualities you'd want in that role.  He did great things for the GPD and the city as a whole.  I met with him in his office (as I have with several of his predecessors) as well as on the street, fiesta etc. he was a good chief until the little head took over.

My take on the situation is that we already know what happened, it's just not been made official and it might never be.  The rumors were too specific for them to not be mostly true.   Do we really need to hear all that again, and have the news trucks here again, for yet more embarrassment? Again?

For me, it gets back to "Do we hold our public officials to a higher or lesser standard than the average criminal on the street?" I say we should hold them to a much higher standard. I expect criminals to do what they do. I expect those who swear an oath to serve the public, to do JUST THAT.
Me, too. I'm not ok with shoving stuff under the rug and hoping everyone forgets about it. 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 5:54 PM - Feb 07, 2008

12:52 PM - Nov 04, 2017 #36

Seems like some kind of status report from State AG Maura Healey and Federal Attorney Carmen Ortiz
would be in order at some point.  The case was handed over to them in late October, 2016.

Even a standard "investigation still underway" pronouncement would be better than nothing.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:12 PM - Apr 27, 2011

1:30 PM - Nov 04, 2017 #37

stanb wrote: Did they trade confiscated heroin for sex??? Was the victim a heroin user? 
Now we're getting somewhere!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 9:48 AM - May 10, 2007

1:50 PM - Nov 04, 2017 #38

stanb wrote: Did they trade confiscated heroin for sex??? Was the victim a heroin user? 
Do you like white suit jackets with a flower in the lapel?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 12:27 AM - Mar 30, 2007

5:06 PM - Nov 04, 2017 #39

DM3194 wrote: Seems like some kind of status report from State AG Maura Healey and Federal Attorney Carmen Ortiz
would be in order at some point.  The case was handed over to them in late October, 2016.

Even a standard "investigation still underway" pronouncement would be better than nothing.
I am in agreement with you here DM. I would say they are stalling for a reason and should not keep the people who pay their salaries and benefits waiting. 
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 9:31 AM - Jul 02, 2008

4:26 AM - Nov 05, 2017 #40

DM3194 wrote: Seems like some kind of status report from State AG Maura Healey and Federal Attorney Carmen Ortiz
would be in order at some point.  The case was handed over to them in late October, 2016.

Even a standard "investigation still underway" pronouncement would be better than nothing.
That s is like having Loretta Lynch investigate the Clintons.   This will get swept under the rug. 
Quote
Like
Share