All over Facebook but not here: Beach traffic.

July 11th, 2018, 7:47 pm #61

A few years ago I was a juror during the Boston Bomber trial and the cheapest parking I could find in the Seaport District was $48.00 per day! I ended up at the Wonderland T-Station where I parked in a small lot next to the garage and didn't have to pay! It's all supply and demand!

July 11th, 2018, 8:16 pm #62

@William Taylor.e :  I put beaches in a category with State Parks and places like Mt. Washington - natural resources that the general public can experience for reasonable fees which go to maintaining the areas for public use.  Accessing a beach is just so not the same as going to a concert.  I definitely would have paid $40. to park even 30 years ago to see this:

July 11th, 2018, 8:54 pm #63

I know that there is a charge to drive Mt Washington and also to take a van up is there a charge to walk up? I know there is a hiking trail ( I would like to get to sometime) is there a charge to hike the Mountain? the beaches are free the only charge is the parking.

July 11th, 2018, 9:00 pm #64

Oh, and I saw Gang of Four at the Paradise seven (yikes) years ago.  I don't remember what I paid to park ...

July 11th, 2018, 9:04 pm #65

tyu...there is no charge to hike up Mt. Washington. There are multiple trails to do that.   This no charge to park at the bottom  if you hike up from the Visitor's Center.  At the Cog Railroad parking area which has some other trails to Mt Washington, you do need to pay to park.  Take a few smaller hikes first if you haven't been hiking or other exercise.  There are some gorgeous views for sure.

July 11th, 2018, 9:04 pm #66

tyu12 wrote: I know that there is a charge to drive Mt Washington and also to take a van up is there a charge to walk up? I know there is a hiking trail ( I would like to get to sometime) is there a charge to hike the Mountain? the beaches are free the only charge is the parking.
Exactly.  At Mt. Washington there is no charge for hiking, there is a charge for driving - same (kinda) as the beaches.

July 12th, 2018, 6:53 am #67

Cathy (Admin) wrote: Oh, and I saw Gang of Four at the Paradise seven (yikes) years ago.  I don't remember what I paid to park ...
Ha!  (If it was 7 years ago....that wasn't the "real" G4, sadly.) Best free parking there is in the tire company lot across the street when it's closed for the night!

July 12th, 2018, 8:14 am #68

If you didn't see BI, then you didn't see the GO4.

Back in the stupid young days, we used to use trails to climb MTW every year on the day after thanksgiving.  we made it 1 out of 3 years.  we only carried some snacks and a wineskin with water.  It's amazing that some of the things we did in those days never got us killed.  
You think you know it, but you haven't got a clue!!

July 12th, 2018, 10:04 am #69

NightStalker wrote: If you didn't see BI ...
I did. :-)

July 12th, 2018, 10:12 am #70

Cathy (Admin) wrote: @William Taylor.e :  I put beaches in a category with State Parks and places like Mt. Washington - natural resources that the general public can experience for reasonable fees which go to maintaining the areas for public use.  Accessing a beach is just so not the same as going to a concert.  I definitely would have paid $40. to park even 30 years ago to see this:

Our  National Parks Service is limiting visitors in some places with more to follow. Zion N.P. manager says this: 
 “We want to find a balance between protecting the resource and maintaining a quality visitor experience,” says Marciano."

...and our National Parks increase their visitor fees on a regular basis.

As far as our beaches go, for me, wall to wall people with tents and shelters blocking the view has it's limits and I think we have reached them...at least on hot summer weekends!
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..

July 12th, 2018, 10:58 am #71

Thank you Karly and Cathy for the information. I try to get up that way every year but it is not always the case. I do know that every time I go up that way it is harder and harder to come back here.
   Karly thanks for the advise on taking shorter hikes or getting more exercise I would not want to get stuck there and need assistance getting down that would be quite embarrassing, Don't know if I will ever get the chance to hike it but it is something I would like to do. 

July 12th, 2018, 11:07 am #72

There was never any charge to park at Joe Dodge's AMC base camp in Pinkham Notch. From there up the fire trail is a 45 minute walk to the Tuckerman's ravine shelter (Howard Johnson's), Harvard cabin, and Hermit Lake shelter (if you do it every weekend in the spring). From Tuckerman's base the most used trails to the summit are up over the lip or up Lion's Head. Then you get to the snowfields which are rocky when the snow is gone and stroll to the summit. Come down the same way if not a skier to Howard Johnson's then down the Sherburne trail to the base. It is very important to watch the weather and carry emergency clothes, food, and water. I was there mostly during spring ski season (volunteer ski patrol) but went up to get my gear once in July. The place was swarming with hikers and bugs. There are  other ways. Google Appalachian Mountain Club.
https://www.outdoors.org/
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?...   ..........
 George Orwell , 1984

July 12th, 2018, 1:48 pm #73

tyu12 wrote: Thank you Karly and Cathy for the information. I try to get up that way every year but it is not always the case. I do know that every time I go up that way it is harder and harder to come back here.
   Karly thanks for the advise on taking shorter hikes or getting more exercise I would not want to get stuck there and need assistance getting down that would be quite embarrassing, Don't know if I will ever get the chance to hike it but it is something I would like to do.
Actually, you and I both, tyu. A fine goal, for sure.

July 12th, 2018, 2:57 pm #74

battlingignorance wrote:
tyu12 wrote: Thank you Karly and Cathy for the information. I try to get up that way every year but it is not always the case. I do know that every time I go up that way it is harder and harder to come back here.
You and I could go together and talk politics and see who throws who off the mountain first😆

July 12th, 2018, 4:29 pm #75

tyu12 wrote:
battlingignorance wrote:
You and I could go together and talk politics and see who throws who off the mountain first😆
Reminds me of that old Brit joke about the man meeting a gorgeous woman on a dangerous cliffside trail high up a mountain.....it was a dilemma for him as he did not know whether to toss himself off or block her passage....
You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give..