9:27 PM - Nov 03, 2011 #11

It has advantages - fewer people, fewer bugs, cooler weather - and its own challenges - cooler weather, windier weather.

9:43 PM - Nov 03, 2011 #12

I know, I am a year behind, but better late than never. Here is link:

http://www.district87.org/staff/wallace ... ration.htm

Thanks,

Mike
Did the same trip in '04, 'cept in reverse/five days. Loved it! Got some of my favorite bw photo's on that trip. I'd do it again!
Thanks!

10:26 PM - Nov 03, 2011 #13

I know, I am a year behind, but better late than never. Here is link:

http://www.district87.org/staff/wallace ... ration.htm

Thanks,

Mike
It only took me about 5 hours today to get your report read. Things kept coming up and I'd leave and come back to read some more. This report was a holder of interest.

I liked the sense of wonder that certain lakes and rivers created for you. That's how I feel, too. The desire to go around the bend has a powerful pull on me. Being on Malberg, it was hard not to feel the pull east or north.

The sheer magnitude of the trip. This is the kind of trip that dreams are made of. That the area is your personal stomping ground that you are trying to explore more deeply is pretty inspiring. I'm always telling my canoe crazy pals that I've got to find a couple of crazy younger guys who are up for adventure. Guys like the two of you.

When I read that you were heading to Mesaba, I looked at the map as I followed along with your report. The first thing that came to mind was "would they take a look at Leah?" For some reason, I have it marked as a bushwhack after reading some reference to it. Way to go on getting your look.

I thought you were fair in your estimation of Scout behavior.

This trip worked you over a bit, but it seems to me that you guys gave as good as you got. A real canoe trip. Real adventure. Real skills.

A last word: admiration.

paddledoc
"Walk too fast you leave your feet behind."

5:57 PM - Nov 04, 2011 #14

It has advantages - fewer people, fewer bugs, cooler weather - and its own challenges - cooler weather, windier weather.
that time of year. Cooler I can handle. More wind, I don't know about. I prefer the smaller lakes, but every so often you have no choice but to travel a larger lake. I have done the bigger waves, but i am not a fan of paddling in that the way others might be.

6:05 PM - Nov 04, 2011 #15

It only took me about 5 hours today to get your report read. Things kept coming up and I'd leave and come back to read some more. This report was a holder of interest.

I liked the sense of wonder that certain lakes and rivers created for you. That's how I feel, too. The desire to go around the bend has a powerful pull on me. Being on Malberg, it was hard not to feel the pull east or north.

The sheer magnitude of the trip. This is the kind of trip that dreams are made of. That the area is your personal stomping ground that you are trying to explore more deeply is pretty inspiring. I'm always telling my canoe crazy pals that I've got to find a couple of crazy younger guys who are up for adventure. Guys like the two of you.

When I read that you were heading to Mesaba, I looked at the map as I followed along with your report. The first thing that came to mind was "would they take a look at Leah?" For some reason, I have it marked as a bushwhack after reading some reference to it. Way to go on getting your look.

I thought you were fair in your estimation of Scout behavior.

This trip worked you over a bit, but it seems to me that you guys gave as good as you got. A real canoe trip. Real adventure. Real skills.

A last word: admiration.

paddledoc
"Walk too fast you leave your feet behind."
Living on the prairie, I miss the forest. Being in an honest to goodness forest instead of an island of trees surrounded by corn and soybean (or houses) is a treat for me.

mike

1:59 AM - Nov 05, 2011 #16

that time of year. Cooler I can handle. More wind, I don't know about. I prefer the smaller lakes, but every so often you have no choice but to travel a larger lake. I have done the bigger waves, but i am not a fan of paddling in that the way others might be.
Plenty of opportunities to be windbound, especially solo. Also the days are shorter - sunrise and sunset are both around 7 by the last half of Sept.