September 12th, 2018, 5:21 pm #11

Day Ten, Monday, September 3. Bailey Bay, Inlet Bay, Prairie Portage, Sucker, Newfound, Moose. 8.75 miles, 1 portage.

Our last morning in Quetico for 2018. Winds stopped around 1:00 am. Coffee, breakfast, more coffee, then on the water. As we paddle back to Moose, we usually discuss gear and food issues from the trip. Food planning is simplified by just having the two of us on a trip, so our food planning doesn't need much tweaking. We're pleased with the lighter boat and paddles, and have enjoyed the performance of our new tent and stove, both lighter than the units they replaced. We're headed back to our car with only a couple 'emergency' meals, some coffee, a couple tea bags, a couple packs of hot chocolate, some energy drink powder, peanut butter powder, some trail mix, crackers, and a pudding mix. We'll probably consume the crackers, peanut butter, and trail mix for lunch today. The paddle out was uneventful. Stopped at Prairie Portage Ranger Station to learn that the fire ban had been lifted, and spoke with a nice group from Illinois going into the Park today. What a wonderful trip it's been—let's start planning for next year! We had given our outfitter a deposit for a used Northwind 17, but learned that their used boats would be available until October. While walking around Ely we discovered a Northwind 17 at another outfitters and pick it up tomorrow morning before we head home. We'll be looking for lighter paddles, too. Day Ten.jpg IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1705.JPG

September 12th, 2018, 5:21 pm #12

Tuesday, September 4th. Southern commute begins with a nice Northwind 17 on the Outback. An odd coincidence—at a stop in Osseo, Wisconsin, Tia ran into a woman she worked with several years—she was on her way to South Carolina from a visit with her daughter in Wisconsin. Most of the 2-day commute back to our home in Pisgah Forest, NC, was spent listening to audio books and discussing gear & food changes for next year...

September 13th, 2018, 11:03 am #13

Fantastic report! Thanks for sharing.

I was curious what camera gear and how that weight had been trimmed.
Just one more portage.

September 13th, 2018, 11:56 am #14

BillConner wrote: Fantastic report! Thanks for sharing.

I was curious what camera gear and how that weight had been trimmed.
Thanks for the kind words, Bill.  My camera is a Canon Power Shot SX20IS that I've been carrying for many years.  It's lightweight, has 20x zoom, and a couple nice macro settings.  My favorite feature is the articulating screen--I can move it around for low-angle flower shots, etc.  The camera also lets me override exposure settings if I want to accent a sunset, for example.  It's no longer on the market, but I'm sure Canon still offers something like it...

At the start of a 10-day trip, Tia is usually carrying 60-65 pounds across a portage in a Kelty frame pack.  She carries food,stove & fuel, tent & dining fly, paddles etc.  I'm usually carrying 65-70 pounds--the canoe with life jackets wrapped around the seats, and our sleeping bags, foam pads, clothes, and a couple CrazyCreek chairs in a drybag pack and the camera & a couple other quick-access items in a fanny pack.  We dry a lot of our own food, but also use freeze-dried and other foods.  Our biggest weight reduction through the years has been the canoe, which trimmed pounds.  Our current tent (Big Agnes Copper Spur 3UL), stove (Optimus Vega), and paddles have also helped trim ounces.

September 13th, 2018, 1:08 pm #15

What a spectacular trip! That campsite on Camel looks great. Thanks for sharing an excellent report.

September 13th, 2018, 4:26 pm #16

Thank you for a great report!  I'll have to share it with my wife.  We just celebrated our 45th anniversary and your report will show her such a trip is still possible.  Thanks again!

Rich

September 14th, 2018, 3:18 pm #17

Wunita wrote: Thank you for a great report!  I'll have to share it with my wife.  We just celebrated our 45th anniversary and your report will show her such a trip is still possible.  Thanks again!

Rich
Does that mean she'll blame me if she doesn't enjoy the trip??  Just kidding--congratulations on 45 years, and I hope the two of you have many more Canoe Country visits in your future--we certainly hope to!

Chuck