too old?

September 2nd, 2017, 7:29 pm #1

I 68 and wife 62. I want to trip in Sept, but wife feels she maybe couldn't handle it. I feel good about doing it ( a canoe trip, silly). We canoe locally a lot. We've been on many canoe trips in the BW, but none the last seven years peferring long day hikes in Michigan. Should I go with her feelings or push a bit. Note, we hike a lot incliuding a trip last week at 10,000 feet with long day hikes in Wyoming. So, we ...... What do you think? I have doubts if she has doubts.

September 3rd, 2017, 11:04 am #2

I haven't faced this but know I will before too many years go by. My hope is to simply plan less strenuous trips. As Bette Davis said, "growing old is not for sissies".
Just one more portage.

September 3rd, 2017, 5:50 pm #3

I 68 and wife 62. I want to trip in Sept, but wife feels she maybe couldn't handle it. I feel good about doing it ( a canoe trip, silly). We canoe locally a lot. We've been on many canoe trips in the BW, but none the last seven years peferring long day hikes in Michigan. Should I go with her feelings or push a bit. Note, we hike a lot incliuding a trip last week at 10,000 feet with long day hikes in Wyoming. So, we ...... What do you think? I have doubts if she has doubts.
There are different things you can do to mitigate the concern. Since I am over 60, I have started to take a Garmin Inreach SE... Satellite Communicator. With it, each day we can send a message back home saying we are ok... also could send for help in case of emergency. It gives us and those at home peace of mind.
You can also pick an easier route, where you only go a short distance in and base camp and also stay off the big lakes.
There is always the option to stay at a national forest campground at the edge and day trip in.
Good luck with your decision!

January 13th, 2018, 10:50 pm #4

... you are never too old. Accomodation and adjustment is the key. Stay at a cabin, use a power boat, day trip from a campground, stay in an RV. Whatever you need to feel comfortable is okay. You will never push as hard as when you were 19 years old. Reset your goals based on your limitations and keep going! Good Luck.

June 25th, 2018, 8:13 pm #5

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right."--Henry Ford

My wife and I are both 67.  Last August we did a 10-day, 115-mile, 50-portage Quetico trip, single-walking all portages.  In February we applied for a 10-day August/September trip this fall, and again are planning something in the 100+ miles.  Our entry lake this year is Kahshahpiwi, and we're discussing hitting the Delahay Death March, which we haven't hit in 15+ years.  We recently received our RABC permit and are prepping food & gear already.  Find the source of her doubts, help her work through them, and do it (a canoe trip, silly)!

June 26th, 2018, 4:07 am #6

I'd have to agree with each and every previous post on this thread. The important thing to consider is how your wife feels about it. If she can't be comfortable with it then you shouldn't go. From what you say about the hiking it does sound like the trip is within your capabilities however. the one thing that is crystal clear to me is "once you stop going up there you will miss it terribly". I hope you can convince her that it is still possible to enjoy a trip. You may have to alter your usual agenda for a trip but it should be possible to go. The day trips from a cabin or campground could also salve some of your longings and convince her that it is still possible to take a longer trip next year. Good luck.

June 29th, 2018, 12:26 pm #7

It all depends on your confidence, physical shape and attitude. I'm 64 and have no reason to stop wilderness trips in the foreseeable future. Our last trip in 2016 was a simple one because we were with a friend who had recently had a colostomy. We got towed to Black Robe portage and stayed in N.E. McAree. No portages other than Black Robe. In mid-June, for 6 days we saw 2 other canoes and no one else camped anywhere near us.

About 5 years ago we were picked up by Zups at Bottle portage. Another AMAZING group joined us there. The group consisted of a couple of guys in their mid-60's and their father, age 87. The 3 of them in 1 canoe did the Bottle portage and Curtain Falls, and paddled to Gardner Bay. The whippersnappers carried the boat and gear, and did the majority of the paddling. But the elder one had been doing wilderness canoe trips for ......... 70 years.

June 30th, 2018, 11:17 am #8

I am 73 and my wife is 72.  We have made a trip to the Quetico each year for the past 28 years and several additional years when the boys were young.  It was the drive up from South Georgia that was hard.  This year we are flying and will just stay at our cabin on a lake near French Lake.  It is almost like camping, no electricity or indoor pluming.  Tripping will not be done as we can not carry our gear on the plane.  While at the cabin we canoe a minimum of six miles per day.  Just completed a three day river canoe camping trip with our son who was guiding a Boy Scout troop.  We try to stay in shape by exercising at the Y, paddling in our pond and hard work on our farm.  Nothing lasts forever but you just must make adjustments and keep going as long as you can. If I were you, I would possibly shift to a base camp at a lake near your entry point.  

July 1st, 2018, 9:13 pm #9

Isn't life grand.

July 14th, 2018, 10:43 pm #10

I suppose it depends on whether you feel up to a trip. I agree with the perspective that if you feel that physically you can't do what you did last time, just plan a shorter trip with more base camping. Just being up in the great northwoods is well worth the effort even it doesn't entail the rigorous trips of the past. Just my two cents.