Sunday Lake to Sunday Bay portage

Sunday Lake to Sunday Bay portage

May 11th, 2017, 4:22 pm #1

Hi. I've been away from the board for quite a while and lost my login info, so I had to create a new account. I see the board is not as active, but I guess that's partially my fault

I have a permit for Angleworm in late June. My plan is to go down Spring Creek/Beartrap River to Sunday Lake on the first day. I have spoken with the Kawishiwi Ranger station and my name is in "The Book" to get my PMA endorsement to stay overnight on Sunday Lake. My question has to do with where to go next. Some maps show a portage from Sunday Lake to Sunday Bay, while others do not. I am aware that since this is a PMA, any portages are not maintained, but I am wondering if anyone has attempted this recently and knows whether it is feasible. If not, any other suggestions on the best way to get up to Crooked or Iron?

Thanks!

May 14th, 2017, 1:26 am #2

The closest I have been to that area is hiking to the Sunday Bay end of the portage around Curtain Falls. We have always gone to Iron via the Moose River North entry and Nina Moose, Agnes, etc. Hopfully someone else can chime with more info.

May 14th, 2017, 5:01 am #3

Hi. I've been away from the board for quite a while and lost my login info, so I had to create a new account. I see the board is not as active, but I guess that's partially my fault

I have a permit for Angleworm in late June. My plan is to go down Spring Creek/Beartrap River to Sunday Lake on the first day. I have spoken with the Kawishiwi Ranger station and my name is in "The Book" to get my PMA endorsement to stay overnight on Sunday Lake. My question has to do with where to go next. Some maps show a portage from Sunday Lake to Sunday Bay, while others do not. I am aware that since this is a PMA, any portages are not maintained, but I am wondering if anyone has attempted this recently and knows whether it is feasible. If not, any other suggestions on the best way to get up to Crooked or Iron?

Thanks!
I believe if you searched some of the other BW Boards you would find the Sunday Lake to Sunday Bay portage does not exist any more. The Forest Service stopped maintaining it and not enough folks bushwhacked it to keep it open. If you do make it thru I'm pretty sure some folks would like to hear about it.

The normal way out of Sunday Lake is on the Beartrap River to Peterson Bay on the south end of Iron Lake. There is a portage out of Sunday lake that puts you back on the The Beartrap River. Expect a few beaver damns and about a 115 rod portage from the river to Peterson Bay. The landing at Peterson Bay is a interesting. I will be doing this route but in reverse in early August.

The other way out of Sunday Lake is also on the Beartrap River but this time take Sterling Creek west deeper into the Sundial PMA and on to Sterling Lake. Check out some trip reports on the boards and you can find some, but not a lot, of information on this area.

Good luck,

UP Boy

May 15th, 2017, 3:25 pm #4

The closest I have been to that area is hiking to the Sunday Bay end of the portage around Curtain Falls. We have always gone to Iron via the Moose River North entry and Nina Moose, Agnes, etc. Hopfully someone else can chime with more info.
Thanks!. I've gone that way before, and wanted to try something different.

May 15th, 2017, 3:26 pm #5

I believe if you searched some of the other BW Boards you would find the Sunday Lake to Sunday Bay portage does not exist any more. The Forest Service stopped maintaining it and not enough folks bushwhacked it to keep it open. If you do make it thru I'm pretty sure some folks would like to hear about it.

The normal way out of Sunday Lake is on the Beartrap River to Peterson Bay on the south end of Iron Lake. There is a portage out of Sunday lake that puts you back on the The Beartrap River. Expect a few beaver damns and about a 115 rod portage from the river to Peterson Bay. The landing at Peterson Bay is a interesting. I will be doing this route but in reverse in early August.

The other way out of Sunday Lake is also on the Beartrap River but this time take Sterling Creek west deeper into the Sundial PMA and on to Sterling Lake. Check out some trip reports on the boards and you can find some, but not a lot, of information on this area.

Good luck,

UP Boy
Thanks. I look around some more. It looks like a pretty straight shot, so might try finding the trail.

May 16th, 2017, 3:18 am #6

Thanks!
To view a trip report from 1985 that goes thru that area, see

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=tr ... _part_id=7

Neil

May 17th, 2017, 3:49 pm #7

Thanks for sharing the trip report. My first trip to the Q was in 1986 (Although I was only in high school at the time, lol).

I think I will check and see if I can locate the Sunday Bay portage, and try walking it if I can find any remnants. Otherwise will continue on the Beartrap river route you describe.

Thanks!