Stove question

Stove question

June 24th, 2018, 10:59 pm #1

Last week a bear ran off with my older fairly decent Century propane two burner base camping camp stove a friend of mine was using at Iron Lake...yes...dragged it away in the night...carrying case and all...(maybe that's how he/she carried it?..HA!)...anyway, I need a new one, any suggestions? Right now it seems a Coleman Triton is considered pretty good, (60 bucks, not bad) but I'm just checking in case I'm missing something better...thanks.

June 25th, 2018, 4:33 pm #2

That's some pretty crazy stuff! Was it in a pack that contained all your food, or he just snatched the stove?
I remember someone here (Beemer, I believe) describing a bear taking his stove and standing there with a fuel canister in his mouth. Think Brian (Beemer) still had that dented canister some time later as a cool trip memento.

Propane stove users here, for BWCA?Q purposes anyway, are prob in the minority and most of us tend to opt for one-burner white gas or alcohol-type stoves. Lighter, smaller. That said, stoves like what you are talking about would be kind of nice, packing/portaging-aside. Stable surface, two burners,....I'm sure the Coleman Triton would be reliable. Coleman has always been pretty good with their stoves.
(Tents and canoes, now that's debatable stuff  :)  )

June 25th, 2018, 9:08 pm #3

I wasn't with on this trip, but they hung some food up, but apparently didn't get the Duluth Pack Camp Kitchen pack high enough or something, and while out fishing the bear dragged it away but they found it...ransacked of course..pack now has some Bear Holes but did fine...they decided to move the next morning early and he packed my stove away in its carrying case and under a tarp...gone the next morning...it was a rainy night and they never heard anything...hence the new stove...yeah, I'm guessing the Coleman stove will be fine...he had a group of young folks and we did the same thing a few years ago and those 10,000 btu double propane stoves work great,,,I used that one for years mostly camping in Colorado trout fishing, up to 9,000 feet..never a problem...normally we bring my well used Dragonfly and smaller Whisperlite white gas stoves, but the 12 pound stove is good for no portage camping..I just wrap it in the tarps and towels along with other gear in a #4 flat canoe pack...