Slightly OT - Winter Camping Symposium

Slightly OT - Winter Camping Symposium

October 31st, 2011, 12:06 am #1

Went to the WCS in Sturgeon Lake, MN this last weekend. I recommend it! A smallish event (200+?) held at the YMCA camp there.

Took a Basic Land Navigation (orienteering) session...learned to find our way with a compass through the woods...look close...other ccbb members show up in the pics...VanBeek(sp?)...Lisa KC

Lisa KC works on a mitten made in one session:

Winter "Hot" camping in canvas tents with stoves:

Sturgeon Lake view:

A decent crowd for Mors Kochanski:

Dick Pula talks about solo winter camping

Tent tour:

Some had attended a weeklong survival course with Mors Kochanski prior to the symposium (I wish I had!!) and it sounds like it would have been wonderful! They built survival shelters:

Evenings consisted of fire gatherings and concerts:

Learned lots about gear, techniques, and winter survival. Heard an excellent speaker Saturday night - Tyler Fish - who had traveled along with one other on skis/snowshoes to the north pole in 55 days UNASSISTED! Amazing story!

This was a fun gathering...met lots of paddlers looking for things to keep them busy outdoors in the winter!!

Hope to do it again!

-Blazing Paddle (Mary Jean)

"Anything you want to know...any question...you can find the answer in nature if you know where to look and how to ask"
--from the book/movie: The Power of One

October 31st, 2011, 4:07 pm #2

Thank you for reporting on this. I hope I find teh time some year before I'm too old to use the lessons.
Just one more portage.

October 31st, 2011, 4:09 pm #3

Went to the WCS in Sturgeon Lake, MN this last weekend. I recommend it! A smallish event (200+?) held at the YMCA camp there.

Took a Basic Land Navigation (orienteering) session...learned to find our way with a compass through the woods...look close...other ccbb members show up in the pics...VanBeek(sp?)...Lisa KC

Lisa KC works on a mitten made in one session:

Winter "Hot" camping in canvas tents with stoves:

Sturgeon Lake view:

A decent crowd for Mors Kochanski:

Dick Pula talks about solo winter camping

Tent tour:

Some had attended a weeklong survival course with Mors Kochanski prior to the symposium (I wish I had!!) and it sounds like it would have been wonderful! They built survival shelters:

Evenings consisted of fire gatherings and concerts:

Learned lots about gear, techniques, and winter survival. Heard an excellent speaker Saturday night - Tyler Fish - who had traveled along with one other on skis/snowshoes to the north pole in 55 days UNASSISTED! Amazing story!

This was a fun gathering...met lots of paddlers looking for things to keep them busy outdoors in the winter!!

Hope to do it again!

-Blazing Paddle (Mary Jean)

"Anything you want to know...any question...you can find the answer in nature if you know where to look and how to ask"
--from the book/movie: The Power of One

....enjoy every sandwich.