Seems every time I target a kayak I want to save up for,..brand goes away

June 21st, 2017, 5:08 pm #1

For several years I've thought I'd love to have a Folbot kayak. Easy to throw in the trunk, minimal storage space in garage or basement,...then they go belly up.
The past few years at Canoecopia I've sat in a Necky Manitou 14 and it felt great. Probably sat in it, on the expo floor, longer than most sit in a kayak. I also thought their "Rip 10" would be a great all-around boat for my wife &/or daughter to play & learn in. Now Johnson Outdoors (also owns Old Town)buys them and decides this good brand is to be erased.
I'd better stop dreaming of specific boats,...been drooling over & dreaming of building a Pygmy as well, don't want them to go away! Or Hurricane, for that matter,...

June 22nd, 2017, 1:49 pm #2

I saw the Canoecopia program by John Van Den Brandt about photography from his kayak and I was sold. Here is a YouTube link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amqajbjKa9c

I have not pulled the trigger yet since I already have 2 canoes. But on the other hand, it seems I heard someone sing: 'there's no such thing as too many boats"

June 22nd, 2017, 3:15 pm #3

my brother in law bought one from Rutabaga, he can remove a seat and position it as a solo, or throw in both seats for tandem use. Mainly uses his for fishing. Not a BWCA/Q craft, but really nice.

I think the past couple years Native Watercraft merged with LiquidLogic, and then more recently, I believe, with Hurricane Kayaks. Hopefully they're in good shape, run by paddlers (who still have good business sense), and the brands maintain their distinct lines & identities.

yep,.. 'no such thing.."!