Quetico Baptism Creek Entry information

July 15th, 2018, 2:03 am #1

I just returned from a rewarding week trip to the Quetico via the Baptism Creek Entry. Baptism Lake and Trousers were empty except for our party (we base camp). If anyone is seeking information of how to make a difficult entry easier, we have cut out one portage and shortened another by over half. More info can be attained at nthielke@hometownsolutions.net
quetico 2013 129.JPG
quetico 2013 129.JPG

July 16th, 2018, 1:33 pm #2

Great photo!

July 19th, 2018, 2:53 am #3

HowardSprague wrote: Great photo!
I would be interested as the last time I went in there it was raining and the portages were muddy and slippery. If there was any way to shorten that part of the trip prior to hitting Cache lake portage, I'd be all for it!

July 19th, 2018, 12:28 pm #4

We bypass the north portage by walking through. This year there is a wind fall across Baptism creek 100 meters northeast of the long portage which requires an additional 25 meter pull-over on the north side. However, even with those shortcuts, this is a rugged 10 mile journey. The beavers have constructed a dam in the middle of the longest portage. This year there was a breach which emptied the pond and it appeared unsafe to traverse the dam top. So we bush wacked our way across the former pond area. As we left a week later, the beavers were repairing the breach and the water was rising. As the beavers build the dam higher, it is getting problematic on the northeast corner. The portage around the falls has been shortened by half by just canoeing up to the falls- there is a path on the left.We walked half of the north section of the Cache Lake portage. The Cache River is running 3/4 full and there is no bridge. That being said, the difficulties have made for secluded base camp areas on Baptism and Trousers lakes. We were the only ones there for a week. We saw moose on both lakes and loons with a chick on Trousers. I have seen wolves on Baptism Lake in the past. I make this "pilgrimage" to Trousers every year so anyone desiring a report after the second week of July can contact me.
20160710_143639 - Copy.jpg