Portage Questions...

July 8th, 2018, 10:49 pm #1

We're playing with route ideas for our August/September Quetico trip--10 days with Kahshahpiwi entry point.  We have several portage questions:

1.  In '89 we portaged from Keats (we think) into McDougall, and remember a crazy-steep rock slab start to the portage.  Is taking the Split Rock Falls portage into Chatterton and the short Chatterton to McDougall portage a better option?

2.  Any condition reports regarding the Delahey to Conmee Death March Portages (which we also did in '89) from this summer?

3.  We've never done the Poobah to Conmee  Memory Lane Portages--comments, please...

Thanks in advance for the help (or for comments/concerns about our collective sanity!).

Regards,
TZ

July 19th, 2018, 2:58 am #2

I suggested to a trip partner once that we go from Poobah to Conmee via the memory lane portages. He paused....then he responded..."Well, that would be a memory!". We didn't do them. However, he did say that going over those would be a days-worth of work so you should be prepared for a trek. I've been on Conmee a couple of times but never attempted either this one or the Death march portages. I'd say that they are definitely do-able but allow yourself the time to get over them. Folks have had a bit of difficulty re-locating that the third (?) leg of the memory lanes when coming from Poobah.  Check the trip reports on QJ and BWCA (sorry for referencing those "other" boards). There may be someone who has done them recently.

July 19th, 2018, 1:22 pm #3

Thanks, HighnDry, for the input.  Your comments echo those of our outfitter, and we've decided to revisit the Death Marches and leave Memory Lane to more adventurous paddlers.  
TZ