On my way to Ely in 1...2...3 days!

1:31 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #1

It's been a few years. Driving up Monday. Going in at Mudro Tuesday (with Brian - "GSP"). Looking forward to it, though my normal process is thrown off.
A week ago I tweaked my lower back. Stayed home a day, went to doctor, got muscle relaxers to go with much ibuprofen. Got up Saturday felt good....however, I'd spent much of the week building my daughter's car for the annual neighborhood Soapbox Derby event. It came out great. The car was rather heavy, so after my daughter would go I would tow the thing back up the hill. Guess I overdid it a few times, and on Sunday the back felt like crap again. I'm functioning now (about 85% and improving), but with that it really threw off my normal trip preparation process. I like to set up a staging area 1-2 weeks ahead of time (my wife doesn't get it). Then as I decide which gear to take, and check off the list, and buy what I need to, and see if any maintenance is needed on anything, I get everything nicely packed up a couple days ahead of time. And to throw another thing into the mix, my daughter's "Indian Princess" group - they finished the program last year, I thought it was all over with - has a new group, older girls less formal (if that's possible) - and an event this weekend...so I'm going to Camp Tecumseh in Indiana Saturday, back Sunday. Which would be fine, but it throws one more wrench into my preparations, one less day. I'm super grateful to be tripping with another CCBBer, who knows what he's doing and is taking care of the food stuff (other than whatever snacks I bring myself), so that sure eases things. But I just KNOW I'll be out there this time and forget something I need! Or I'll pay the price for that one reel with old crappy line I didn't have time to replace.
Should be exiting Saturday the 29th, and I intend to spend another day or two in Ely, maybe catch me a Snowbank laker to take home on the last day of the season.
I hope to cross paths with some of my increasingly numerous Ely area resident friends as well.

7:31 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #2

Give my greetings to Heather, Nick, Bogs (if he's there)  and any others from the early days of CCBB.  Rich

12:06 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #3

I left before Brian or Ray got there-He arrived Monday-I left for Minneapolis on Sunday mroning after a short trip to Lake 3 with my son. Brian told me they did stop by the house so Marco could take a dump. :-)
"When a man is part of his canoe, he is part of all that canoes have ever known.”
-- Sigurd F. Olson

12:08 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #4

Ray-I think I'll be in Ely again Friday-Sunday 9/28-30 bringing our two young grandkids up for the weekend. If you come out on Saturday text me and maybe we can get together for a beer.
"When a man is part of his canoe, he is part of all that canoes have ever known.”
-- Sigurd F. Olson

3:47 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #5

it was great to see you Bogs!
Fun trip with GSP and his exuberant canine, Marco.
Will be in the area until Monday, no plans etched in stone Sunday though I’ll prob hit the laundromat. Maybe see if area friends are around.

Camped on Boot Lake, experienced all kinds of weather including rain, hail,..and snow! Walleyes turned off after first morning.

12:49 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #6

Glad to see you survived, I was watching the weather and thinking of you. I was on little sag probably 30 yrs ago at the end of sept, went to bed with rain and woke up to 6 or 8 inches of snow
Sink R' Swim

12:31 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #7

Good to see you too Ray. Hope you made it back to Illinois safely.
-- Sigurd F. Olson

3:43 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #8

When I got in my truck in Ely it was 32-34 degrees F. Temp when I got home was 72!

Hope to get a trip report together sometime soon.
Got home Monday and still have some of that Ely relaxation feeling. :)
Happy I got to see GSP, bogwalker, Wilderness Mama, Cossack, LynnO,.... and Stumpy's cabin (cool place, btw!) which I did not vandalize :)