Names on a permit...what if you want to snag a permit but don't know who

February 2nd, 2018, 8:20 pm #1

will be going with you? Do you just put a handful of names on a permit just in case? Do you remove names later, or do you just snag the permit for yourself and somehow add names as you get closer and know who will be in the group? Been awhile since I procured one myself,..I think the fee depends on # people in the party,..how does a refund work (if any) if you put down five people and end up with two?

(I'm talking BWCA)

February 2nd, 2018, 10:34 pm #2

On the reservation application, I only put down names of those who are nearly 100% sure of going. If any doubt about others, I only make the reservation for 2, then add the details and pay the extra $ when picking up the permit. They are pretty flexible about making changes to how many are in the group and the alternate leaders names. They will want the name of at least one person in each canoe so they can issue a permit stub to them too. Hope that make sense.

February 3rd, 2018, 1:02 pm #3

will be going with you? Do you just put a handful of names on a permit just in case? Do you remove names later, or do you just snag the permit for yourself and somehow add names as you get closer and know who will be in the group? Been awhile since I procured one myself,..I think the fee depends on # people in the party,..how does a refund work (if any) if you put down five people and end up with two?

(I'm talking BWCA)

I was "taught" to make reservations for two, leader and second. IIRC either of these folks can pick up the permit. If both of those back out, I don't think anyone can pickup the permit.

Even solo requires two names I believe, at least reservation fee for two, and then one is refunded.
Just one more portage.

February 3rd, 2018, 1:02 pm #4

(I'm talking BWCA)

I was "taught" to make reservations for two, leader and second. IIRC either of these folks can pick up the permit. If both of those back out, I don't think anyone can pickup the permit.

Even solo requires two names I believe, at least reservation fee for two, and then one is refunded.
Just one more portage.