LONG TIME since I've been to these parts!!!

March 20th, 2017, 5:58 pm #1

Doesn't look like much has changed! Hoping to get up to the BW this year...been way too long!!!

Madl

March 20th, 2017, 6:18 pm #2

Actually, it has changed a bit - as in very few of us posting lately. But we're still alive, pretty much, and platyfests do happen on occasion (though it's been a couple years in Chicago area), and I saw quite a few CCBBers at Canoecopia.

I hope things are going well with you (SHLD notwithstanding! spouse was there awhile.. ). I hear - maybe just a rumor - that the Horse Lake walleye population has been decimated, due to one sole incident several years ago

Got any EP's narrowed down for this year yet?

March 20th, 2017, 6:36 pm #3

...you're still around and posting!

I remember when this was the place to be for all that was BWCA!!!

No EP's...actually, no plans to go YET...but just watched a trip video I made a while back and have the itch worse than ever!

You heading up this year?

Damn Horse Lake fisherman pulled out that huge Walleye and the whole BW Walleye population goes down!

March 20th, 2017, 8:26 pm #4

as I missed last year. When I miss one year it seems like five.
Have to make sure I get a well-deserved family vacation in this year first, hopefully someplace beachy..maybe in June, then hopefully a canoe trip in August. Have a couple routes in mind, depends on various factors.

Year before last, got up to the Crab Lake area (with jstroke). A section of the BW I'd always tended to ignore, as on the map it's surrounded by non-BWCA and it would make one think it's less wild or something. (It's not!) Also, the paddle across Burntside, with its big size and lots of islands, makes it look like a challenging start & finish to a trip. But it was great, included some solitude, and we got VERY close to wolves.