How many members here have thought about how to get to & from Canoe Country … …

How many members here have thought about how to get to & from Canoe Country … …

April 12th, 2017, 5:15 pm #1

Using only commercial transportation ? For example, traveling via bus, or air, or some sort of shuttle? Have any members here thought about how to take a canoe trip while leaving their personal vehicle at home ?

April 12th, 2017, 8:26 pm #2

and even getting their canoes on a train. For some reason I'm thinking DadofSix,or Worth, or Hoz.

As far as air travel, too bad they can't get commercial flights into LYU (Ely airport). Then it'd just be a matter of getting a not-too-long shuttle from an outfitter or resort owner or some enterprising Elysian(?) would start up a cab service. There are flights into DLH from Chicago and other places, but then you still have to get to your trip destination from there (and I think car rentals at Duluth airport are pretty steep). There's always Thunder Bay, or some of those more remote locations flown by Bearskin Airlines.
Other issue with flying to a canoe camping trip is transporting equipment. You can't take your stove - or at least your fuel - with you, and I imagine you could run into someone who would give you a hard time about transporting a stove even without fuel. Paddles, etc are kind of bulky to take on a plane too, not that it can't be done.
Thing about taking public transportation,...we want to go to remote locations. Locations are remote partly because they are far away from public transportation. So,...I guess driving is generally best!

April 12th, 2017, 11:48 pm #3

Using only commercial transportation ? For example, traveling via bus, or air, or some sort of shuttle? Have any members here thought about how to take a canoe trip while leaving their personal vehicle at home ?
Renting a car can be close to the same cost as flying, unless you find a fantastic price on air fare. A couple of years ago, I had to go to the Cleveland area, then to Williamsburg, VA, and then back to Chicago over the course of about a week. I rented a small SUV from Enterprise that got decent mileage and drove the whole way. Drove straight to Cleveland, then straight to Williamsburg. On the way back to Chicago, I pooched out just north of Indianapolis and found a cheap motel. This trip took about a week due to the timing of the meetings, and I think it was around 2,000 miles or so in total.

The reason I rented is that I didn't want to put the miles on my personal vehicle. Plus, I only charged my company for the actual rental fee and actual gas used, and didn't use our standard mileage reimbursement rate. This saved my company at least $500 or more.

I hate flying, as it is such a time waster. I never fly anywhere any more if the destination is within 500 miles. And, if I do fly, I fly out of either Rockford, IL (free parking, no tolls), or Milwaukee (cheap parking, and no tolls). I avoid O'Hare like the plague.

Tomster

April 13th, 2017, 12:14 pm #4

...Took a plane to Duluth and a taxi to Ely for a three week post HS solo. I picked him up near end - did a short paddle with him - and brought the new to us canoe home. I've looked into it some but with canoe, not an option. Looking at getting to Duluth for backpacking Superior Hiking Trail. That association has shuttles organized so one can get to the various trailheads.

Must have been great when the train could drop you in Winton. I know going to Philmont that the train was an enjoyable part of the trek, and not just a necessity.
Just one more portage.

April 26th, 2017, 8:23 pm #5

and even getting their canoes on a train. For some reason I'm thinking DadofSix,or Worth, or Hoz.

As far as air travel, too bad they can't get commercial flights into LYU (Ely airport). Then it'd just be a matter of getting a not-too-long shuttle from an outfitter or resort owner or some enterprising Elysian(?) would start up a cab service. There are flights into DLH from Chicago and other places, but then you still have to get to your trip destination from there (and I think car rentals at Duluth airport are pretty steep). There's always Thunder Bay, or some of those more remote locations flown by Bearskin Airlines.
Other issue with flying to a canoe camping trip is transporting equipment. You can't take your stove - or at least your fuel - with you, and I imagine you could run into someone who would give you a hard time about transporting a stove even without fuel. Paddles, etc are kind of bulky to take on a plane too, not that it can't be done.
Thing about taking public transportation,...we want to go to remote locations. Locations are remote partly because they are far away from public transportation. So,...I guess driving is generally best!
Picked my wife up there a couple years ago. I drove up on friday and she flew in on sunday.

jeff