Hammocks

August 19th, 2018, 5:11 pm #1

Just got back from a week up north. We saw a bunch of hammocks in use as primary sleeping quarters. I love the idea of the weight. Wonder how they sleep, handle adverse weather and mosquitoes. Do you still use a pad? Anyone make the leap from tent to hammock? What are some good ones to look at? What about people with back issues?

August 22nd, 2018, 5:30 pm #2

I never sleep overnight night in them but, without fail, I will fall asleep in them when I'm reading or relaxing. On my trip a few weeks ago when we had a few cooler days/evenings, I did put my thermarest in my Grand Trunk hammock to keep from getting so chilly. Not sure I would want to sleep all night that way, made it warmer but kinda awkward if you move around a lot. I'm sure they must make pads that are made to fit or ?  Also, I am not good at knot-tying so I am constantly aware that I may fall to the ground at any given time. Probably wouldn't get a sound sleep on that note.
-Kathy

August 26th, 2018, 9:06 pm #3

Knot tying is important, especially if you don't have a sharp knife.  I got straps with a row of loops and carbines that take the worry out of my 200# plus body tightening my "slippery " knots.  Anyone selling hammocks should have the straps..

August 27th, 2018, 11:27 am #4

Thanks John. I have seen those very straps on YouTube users videos and they look very handy. From what I have seen, by the time you purchase an under quilt, a tarp, the hammock and the straps, the cost is about the same as buying a tent and sleeping bag. The amount of gear isn't that much different either because you either need a top quilt or a sleeping bag with the hammock. I think it comes down to sleeping comfort at this point.
I bought a Helinox cot at Piragis ($$) when I was in Ely a couple of weeks ago and used it instead of my inflatable. I slept better and didn't wake up near as much as I would with the inflatable. Just re-evaluating the tent/cot setup. The hammock would be less gear than the cot but maybe not worth the cost. (I would have to do two hammock setups also, to cover my son)

August 27th, 2018, 3:54 pm #5

I'm going to look at that cot.  I don't think I could sleet through the night in a hammock, but daytime naps do work. I bought a Helinox chair, (the taller model) and love it, but the weight of a cot would be important, but at 75, getting a good night's sleep is important too.  Heading in to John Lake on the ninth with my hammock and kindle and tow good friends.

September 2nd, 2018, 4:10 pm #6

johngross43 wrote: I'm going to look at that cot.  I don't think I could sleet through the night in a hammock, but daytime naps do work. I bought a Helinox chair, (the taller model) and love it, but the weight of a cot would be important, but at 75, getting a good night's sleep is important too.  Heading in to John Lake on the ninth with my hammock and kindle and tow good friends.
John, I bought the same Helinox Chair (Sunset model) two years ago also at Piragis. ($164). The cot weighs less than that chair does (2.8lbs for the cot, 3.2lbs for the chair) and is close to the same size as the chair packed (cot is 2 inches longer but smaller diameter). I use both. I was impressed by the quality of the chair and so I wasn't so intimidated by the price of the Helinox cot. The cot is the "Helinox Cot Lite". Have fun on your trip.

Link to the Helinox Cot Lite - on sale for two more days much cheaper at REI.
https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite