Finally, a wind screen support system that I like

Finally, a wind screen support system that I like

September 2nd, 2007, 1:37 pm #1

I’ve fooled around with rigging up a wind screen for my canister stove for years and never really came up with a method that I liked. Mostly it took too long to set up and was somewhat complicated. I am now trying this design which seems to work well.

A piece of aluminum flashing with holes drilled in strategic places is used as a screen and the support wires are attached to the stove with small machine screws and wing nuts.
The different spaced holes allows for adjusting the screen for differant sized pots and the support wires can slide in and out for adjustment. The screen stays in place by tesnsion and is stopped from sliding inward by the shorter side of the support wire which is bent in half and held by the washers and wing nut. The support wires can be simply folded over and stay attached to the stove for storage and the whole thing: stove, windscreen, and butane canister fits neatly in a GSI 1.25 qt boiler.

September 2nd, 2007, 1:44 pm #2

looks like a winner

September 2nd, 2007, 2:51 pm #3

I’ve fooled around with rigging up a wind screen for my canister stove for years and never really came up with a method that I liked. Mostly it took too long to set up and was somewhat complicated. I am now trying this design which seems to work well.

A piece of aluminum flashing with holes drilled in strategic places is used as a screen and the support wires are attached to the stove with small machine screws and wing nuts.
The different spaced holes allows for adjusting the screen for differant sized pots and the support wires can slide in and out for adjustment. The screen stays in place by tesnsion and is stopped from sliding inward by the shorter side of the support wire which is bent in half and held by the washers and wing nut. The support wires can be simply folded over and stay attached to the stove for storage and the whole thing: stove, windscreen, and butane canister fits neatly in a GSI 1.25 qt boiler.

and it looks pretty simple to make. We also have the same kind of dog! (Sorry for the weird segue!)

September 2nd, 2007, 4:54 pm #4

My research on pugs seems to indicate that they have no useful purpose. It’s hard to look at one without smiling though. We have a local “Pugs in the Park” gathering in a week or so which “Confucius” is looking forward to.

September 2nd, 2007, 5:08 pm #5

and I swear the pug in "Men in Black" is so ugly because it was the only one they could find who is trainable. Sam is now on a strict diet and keeps trying to run away from home.

September 3rd, 2007, 12:54 am #6

Our wind shield is a couple of pieces of thin plywood... easy to pack, use as a cutting board, filet board, etc.