Crab Lake Entry

August 2nd, 2018, 6:17 am #1

2 quick questions that I'm hoping someone can help with...
1. Where is the best parking for the Crab Lake EP?
2. I've got maps showing 3 different portage locations from Burntside to Crab. Anyone know which is correct? I know that the older map I have that shows the portage at the creek is not correct. I have one that shows the portage coming straight out, and one that shows it taking a 90 degree angle to the SW just before Burntside. It's been years since we entered here, so any help will be appreciated. 
Also could appreciate any info on great swimming rocks/ledges, fishing, or campsites in the area. Not sure where we are headed after Crab...
Thank you!

August 2nd, 2018, 1:19 pm #2

Public lot/landing off Van Vac Rd. Sort of in the middle of the south shore of Burntside. Nice lot & landing, plus a dock. From there you paddle west/a bit northwest to the portage. Keep the map handy, the lake can be confusing but not bad if paying attention. Plenty of islands to duck behind for rest from the wind.
On Crab, I like the first site on your left (south) as you enter Crab, and also the first one on the right around the point.
If you enter Cummings via the portage from Korb River and follow the shoreline on the right, great campsite on east side of Cummings. I didn't catch much other than a couple of smallies from shore, but I didn't put in much fishing effort that day. My guess is it can get pretty good.