Camera gear - burdensome pain in butt for some of us?

1:01 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #1

My last few canoe trips, I have brought a larger/better point & shoot camera, in hopes of getting some better photos. To protect it, I have a Pelican box which is padded and waterproof - and orange so I don't overlook it somewhere. I like the camera and the box, and I've gotten some nice photos. However, it sure has its drawbacks. 1) It's another loose thing to carry 2) if it's windy or wavy or I'm in a current or I need to control the boat, I'm hesitant to pull it out of the case. 3) as nice as the Pelican box is, if it were to happen that I'm paddling down some shoreline or a quiet creek and I come upon some wildlife and decide to photograph it,...if case is not already sitting open, the latches on the Pelican box make a loud "clack!" when I open them. That would be enough to scare away some critters right there.
So, while I do get some nicer shots I do NOT get Hameresque-caliber results by any means, I have an extra thing to carry, and since it's not waterproof or anything and takes awhile to take out I tend to take fewer photos. So I'm thinking about getting a compact, weatherproof point & shoot which I can have handy all the time. Looks like there are some pretty decent ones out there, but I've nt really shopped around yet.

Any out there that work well for you guys?

2:29 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #2

Yeah, the camera gear can be a PITA, but it's always worth the effort for us.  In the '80s and '90s I was carrying a 35mm body and a couple lenses packed in a water-tight (I hoped) case that was buried in the sleeping bag pack--no way to get those wildlife grab shots requiring almost instant access to the gear.  When I started going digital, the lighter cameras were in a dry bag clipped around a thwart--quicker access, but an extra step at both ends of every portage, and usually bouncing off my leg as I carried canoe, pack, and camera dry bag.  A couple years ago I started carrying a small fanny pack with the camera (still in a dry bag), a multi-tool, and a couple other items I want quick access to (like Vitamin I).  The fanny pack is clipped to the thwart when paddling,  and lets me pretty quickly access the camera.  At a portage, I put the fanny pack on, then move it around to my left hip.  I shoulder the dry-bag sleeping bag pack (bulky but light), then pop up the canoe, and I'm off--it's worked smoothly for three trips now, and I'm planning the same approach in 2019..

Not that it's important, but I'm carrying an aging Canon SX20IS.  The camera has enough zoom to reach out for eagle and other wildlife shots, and also has a couple macro modes that let me get good wildflower shots.  Moose from our 2018 trip and purple-fringed orchid from our 2017 trip are examples...

TZ

IMG_1766.JPG IMG_0887.JPG

4:43 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #3

...and I failed to mention that I've stayed away from the waterproof digitals because they have such limited zoom features--most are in the 4-5x zoom range, and I've been spoiled by the 20x zoom of my Canon.
TZ

5:38 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #4

Yeah, kind of the reason I got mine in the first place, my old little p&s was limited. HoHo had the same camera you had, and I enjoyed the photos in his trip reports and looked for the same one. Got whatever the next model was, maybe SX30IS or something like that. The zoom is great.

11:19 AM - Oct 10, 2018 #5

I appreciate your photos but love my waterproof  point and shoot always in my shirt pocket.  Even if i took better gear, I think id keep the point and shoot for instant access.
Just one more portage.

12:00 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #6

I suspect that’s what I’d maybe end up doing. Maybe enclose/attach the big camera case to a pack and take it out in camp.
What kind of waterproof one do you have, Bill?

10:50 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #7

I have an old - at least 10 years - Panasonic. Still works fine.
Just one more portage.

11:36 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #8

"Hameresque-caliber results"  that's funny ! :-)  I know I've already shared this, but just in case everyone hasn't seen it, click on the link to my photography tutorial : https://hamernaturephotos.com/links/
I wish I could say I've come up with the perfect solution, but I haven't.  I keep my camera bag/ day pack at my feet at all times and that works for me.  Unless it is raining really hard, I stuff it into an industrial strength garbage bag... not very elegant, I know.  Plus, I keep the non-waterproof point and shoot in my pocket (in a zip lock bag) all the times.