The Big E, Friday, October 2, 2009
- Arrived in Springfield 11:30am, then it took about 45 min. to drive the last 3 miles.
- parking $10, admission $15
- Took a look at the Christmas trees. There's a new variety called "Canaan Fir" that looks really nice.
- The butter sculpture was a countryside farm scene. Trees, barn, cows in a pasture.
- Saw the singing refrigerator.
- Today is changeover day for cows. Not as many cows on display.
- James Bond Stunt Car exhibit. Car on site. A short documentary film about the stunt and the movie shoot. pretty cool.
- Saw hucksters selling OMG smokeless cigarettes, a steam mop, and a rubber ball of goo that sticks to floors and walls.
- The Borner V slicers. Special only $20. That's less than what I paid for it 2 years ago. New curved design.
- Arnold Palmer indoor golf game.
- Ceramic grater dish, herb grinder.
- Saw a funny Power Step Plus exercise machine. You stand still on it, and the machine shakes you back and forth! Signs claimed that "10-15 minutes equals 1 hour workout"!
- Sideshows: World's Smallest horse. 19" actual shoulder height. Lil' Muffin. Alive. $1; Giant Horse. Alive. $1; Giant Snake. Alive. $1; Porky the Giant Pig. Live. 8 foot long 4 foot wide. Sausage to feed 1000 people. Still growing. Largest pig you'll ever see. $1.
- Saw a 4-H presentation, "How to be a Bunny Mommy", presented by a little girl. It was very informative.
- Big Eclairs. $3.50 Big E Cream Puffs. $3.50 Big E Cookies $4.50 for bakers dozen.
- Really huge line for the Foxwoods "free stuff" giveaway.
- There were sea lions for the sea lion show.
- Vermont Flannel Company, had the "Poop" t-shirts for sale. According to the shirts, the web site is poopdude.com but the site doesn't seem to be responding.
- Otter Creek Brewery. Beer $5.
- A little girl grabbed onto my arm by mistake in the Vermont building and walked with me for a while before realizing the mistake. What happened was that her mother was on the other side of her and told her daughter to "hold onto Daddy" not knowing that it was actually me there.
- Maine building. Wicked Whoopie pies $3 each. Lobster Rolls $8. Hancock Gourmet Lobster company. Sebastian Smokehouse. Smoked salmon on a stick $7.
- Huge line for maine Baked potatoes. Line to the outside of the tent. 2:20pm.
- Specialty food day isn't too special. Just some additional vendors outside the state houses. Bought some great "Pirate Spread" from the Naragansett Creamery www.richeeses.com
Very tasty stuff.
- Massachusetts building, lobster rolls $7. But, the Maine rolls tasted better and were a better value despite the higher price. The Maine roll was an actual claw, not shredded meat.
- Some rides on the midway: Bonzai, KMG Fire Ball. Mardi Gras fun house. Mouse Trap dark ride. Niagara Falls flume ride, Alpine Bobs, Polar Express (which is a Himalaya, not an Alpine Bobs ride), Swing Tower, Ring of Fire.
"Canobie. It’s always fun! It's so much fun, it's so much fun! So much fun!"