Your Expertise Requested: Photo of WW2 Soldier

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Your Expertise Requested: Photo of WW2 Soldier

August 17th, 2017, 12:20 am #1

Hi,
This photo was taken in Alberta Canada in approximately 1942. Can you tell if the soldier is Canadian? Can you tell what his rank might be? Do you have any insight into why he was in Alberta?
Thanks for your help!
Mary Ross

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 17th, 2017, 12:26 am #2

Yes, the soldier in the photograph is Canadian, an army sergeant. He is wearing a Greatcoat with a Yukon Cap, both issued for the winter. He could have been in Alberta for at least two reasons, he was training there before going overseas or perhaps he was stationed in Alberta; as not every person in the military went overseas. An interesting photograph from the home front.

August 17th, 2017, 1:36 am #3

Thank you Ed for your response! This information gives me additional insight into this soldier. The woman in the photo is my dad's cousin. I think the soldier's name is Robert Hastings and he did serve overseas so perhaps he was training in Alberta. This couple had a child together so I am trying to find out more about him! Thanks again for your help!